Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Nice Elven Dictionary! (Page 1)
Author Topic: Nice Elven Dictionary!
Lord of Dor Daedeloth
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1189
posted      Profile for Lord of Dor Daedeloth   Author's Homepage   Email Lord of Dor Daedeloth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I found a nice site with a Elven Dictionary!

http://www.geocities.com/elfperson2000/ElvenDictionary.html

From: Sweden | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eorl the Young
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 843
posted      Profile for Eorl the Young   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
These are linked somewhere else in MT (credits go to that person!):
"Elvish to English"
"English to Quenya"

Olé!

From: Denmark, home of the highest mountains in Europe | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't it me that posted those links?

I'm not sure, but I posted a bunch awhile back

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds of Quenya

~ Earendilyon

Transliterator

~ Um....

And since we may as well bring as may toether as we can:

Ardalambion

~ Too many to count

From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eorl the Young
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 843
posted      Profile for Eorl the Young   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Let's make this THE dictionary thread!

The vowels of Quenya will be pronounced more or less correctly by a native speaker of practically any mainland European language (well, OK, not Danish!). For English and American speakers, a little care is required: pronounce the vowels as you would in, say, Spanish.

In fact, I think the Danish vowels are quite quenya...

From: Denmark, home of the highest mountains in Europe | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legolas
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1497
posted      Profile for Legolas   Email Legolas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
By the way? is anyone "fluent", in Quenya? I myself have been studying it, it would be nice to have someone to talk to.
Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pippin fan
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1272
posted      Profile for Pippin fan   Email Pippin fan   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm teaching myself Sindarian as that was more comonly used at the time of LTR than Quenya.
Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fëanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1393

posted      Profile for Fëanáro   Email Fëanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sindarin is more used at the time of lotr, but its also the most recent form of Elvish so its the most complex. Quenya is an earlier form and therefore closer to the original and more simple elvish dialect. It is therefore MUCH easier to learn. I think it might also be more complete (as in there's enough of it available to be learnt so that it can be spoken without making much up) than Sindarin.

I'm just beginning to learn Quenya, so when I get fluent, I'd love to practice with people!

From: ENGLAND | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legolas
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1497
posted      Profile for Legolas   Email Legolas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I look forward to practicing with you then. I'm learning Sindrin too, but I'm more fond of Quenya. Quenya tapes would be handy, unfortunately I know a lot of people who would obsess over the languages, lol, might not be to healthy for them.
Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tace
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1578
posted      Profile for tace   Author's Homepage   Email tace   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well, I'm first aiming at finishing the LotR trilogy (half way through tTT at the mo) then I'm gonna start trying to learn it. At the moment all I is mellon. Oh how advanced!! But it's weird how a few months ago i hadn't even considered reading Tolkien's books (outside the Hobbit), let alone being hooked on them...

and as for the fonts, try DS's Fantasy Fonts for Windows, as the name suggests, only for windows, but the font's are awesome...

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: tace in aeternum ]

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: tace ]

From: australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radagasttoo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1354

posted      Profile for radagasttoo   Author's Homepage   Email radagasttoo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

Radagast's Bestiary
The sites listed are very good, and certainly Tolkien's is the best (unless you can find some Elves and Dwarfs still around). The book I use a lot is The Languages of Middle Earth by Ruth S. Noel (who also wrote The Mythology of Middle Earth). The former was published in 1980.

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: radagasttoo ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
All your base are belong to us!

From: Rhosgobel (Just around the corner from Mirkwood) | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some great sites here! []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the sites!!! I am learning phrases of the sindarin form(but I might as well learn Quenya while I'm at it), but taking it seriously will be much more challenging I think. Someone should seriously think about making audio tapes and/or cds....
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1899

posted      Profile for Elenya   Email Elenya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Legolas and Feanor's LLS you'll have another study buddy. I've got basic vocab of both Quenya and Sindarin but is there any help on the verb conjugation?
From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Elenya;
Ardalambion (linked to above) provides a whole series of (excellent) lessons.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1899

posted      Profile for Elenya   Email Elenya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, thanks much. I must have missed that one.
From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldorian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2113

posted      Profile for Eldorian   Author's Homepage   Email Eldorian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
www.lordoftherings.co.uk links arda - I think.
try the link I put above.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Defeat is NOT an option!
We are ruled by wot we believe whether it's true or not.
Intergalatic War

From: Wizard land though I'm most often found in the V.O.E | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Precioussssss
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1688

posted      Profile for Precioussssss   Email Precioussssss   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For ppl who have a handheld that runs on PALM OS, I found a Quenya-English Dictionary. I have yet to try it out, but I am going to download it and see what happens.

It's Here

P

From: in the cracks of Mt. Doom | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ellen
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4782
posted      Profile for ellen   Email ellen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
does someone know how to say in quenya you smell like a moldy fish
or a rotten fish

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can, I can...

"In quenya you smell like a moldy fish or a rotten fish."

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Smacks Swelf around the head with a rotten halibut* []
[]

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mavis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4652
posted      Profile for Mavis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The closest I can come (which is by no means correct, as I'm just learning Quenya) would be:

Elye cára vista ve yerna lingwë.

Direct translation:

You are making air like old fish.

I think. I'm not sure so if anyone wants to correct my translation or propose a different one, feel free. I'm not even sure I got the verb tense right. This might have been better placed in the 'Translations' thread though.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

From: Stuck in a mental mire | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katrina
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4377

posted      Profile for Katrina   Email Katrina   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No offence ment, but elvish is over-rated.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
'All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.'
- Edmund Burke

From: Fike Nation | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Nice Elven Dictionary! (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help