Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » The Ardalambion Course...
Author Topic: The Ardalambion Course...
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As a matter of interest, has anyone successfully completed all 20(?) lessons, and become a fluent(ish) speaker of Quenya, or on their way to doing/being so?

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/qcourse.htm

From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not I.

Do you remember when some people had plans to have an entire forum devoted to speaking in Quenya? Perhaps we should revive that idea if any people ever do become competent enough.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would never be able to focus through all twenty lessons, and even if I did get through them, I wouldn't be able to speak fluently
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some weeks ago, I printed it all out and put it in a map. No time (yet) to learn. First, I want to learn Latin better
From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You printed all of it out?
I stuck all of it on Word (all meaning all, some while ago, at lesson 14 or so)and it came to plus 100 pages, at size 10!
I don't understand what you mean by 'in a map' though.

From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am a bit the same as Earendilyon. I started a long time ago, before all 20 lessons were out. I then decided I should focus on latin instead.
From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Eol, I meant a folder. And don't tell anyone, but I printed it out at work. Together with the appendices, it was 200 pages long or so.
From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EnderAWiggin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1336
posted      Profile for EnderAWiggin   Email EnderAWiggin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I havent but I will if you can tell me where to find them.
From: Mother | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thranduil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 858
posted      Profile for Thranduil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on lesson 11 now, but I've almost given up. I can't make the exercises. They're very difficult.
It's impossible to remember everything.

From: Molde, Norway | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EnderAWiggin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1336
posted      Profile for EnderAWiggin   Email EnderAWiggin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is like Latin at all? I am taking Latin and it kinda looks similar.
From: Mother | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that it is made up primarily of Finnish. I think that the grammar is quite close to latin in some parts though.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...Whatever befalls the earth, befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.
-Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe.

From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EnderAWiggin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1336
Finnish eh....... Well I have the course I plan to print it very soon. Guess I will read all the indexes first then start it over Christmas vacation.

That if I am not too busy playing SoulReaver

Antikal
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 556
posted      Profile for Antikal   Author's Homepage   Email Antikal   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Where is this course to be found?
From: Malden, Gelderland, Netherlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Twelve Years On....

Has anybody successfully worked their way through this? I met a couple in '03 that could speak it fluently and said they had started with these lessons.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
But even Tolkien himself could not speak Elvish fluently. What we find in the films and on the web is largely Neo-elvish in any case...

http://www.elvish.org/FAQ.html

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Neo, or refined more like it. Pretty cool invented languages. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose one could just speak Welsh and say it comes to the same thing!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Or Finnish...
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Welsh would be good, though and have some connection with legends that inspired Tolkien.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » The Ardalambion Course...
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help