Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » The Languages of Tolkien's Middle Earth
Author Topic: The Languages of Tolkien's Middle Earth
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A new user requested information on Tolkien's language creations. Here is a great resource...

The Languages of Tolkien's Middle Earth
by Ruth S. Noel
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0395291305/qid=970595271/sr=1-1/103-1185131-9707034

It has some flaws, but it's a nice starting point if you want to learn more about Tolkien's languages. There are glossaries and dictionaries as well as many translations of quotes from Silmarillion and LotR.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goatleaf
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 29
posted      Profile for Goatleaf   Email Goatleaf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree. It presents no material that can be found in Silm. and the Appendices, and is really a boring read with many flaws.

------------------

From: Bree | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what you mean when you say:
"It presents no material that can be found in Silm. and the Appendices, ...".

I have it in front of me and there are quite a few references to the Silmarillion. As far as the appendices, it has at least an equal amount of detail.

If this was a typo and you meant to say:
"It presents no material that CANNOT be found in Silm. and the Appendices, ...",
then I must also disagree with you.

Direct translation of quotes and songs are not found in any of Tolkien's works. Also, an attempt at a dictionary and glossary cannot be found in the Appendices.

As far as being boring, I guess it is. It is meant to be used as a reference. Do you expect a dictionary to have an exciting plot? How can you call raw information boring?

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 8

posted      Profile for amandil   Email amandil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Links to Tolkien Language sites (I'll add more as I find good ones):

Ardalambion

Tolkien'sLanguagePage

RolozoDocs has two essays on Tolkien language- one on Quenya and one on the Black Speech.

This message has been edited by amandil on 11-12-2000 at

From: ny, usa | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 8

posted      Profile for amandil   Email amandil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some fun Tolkien Language "dictionaries", which list words in different languages and their counterparts in English, along with other language-related info.

Silent'sTolkienPages

From: ny, usa | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maedhros The One Handed
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 253
posted      Profile for Maedhros The One Handed   Email Maedhros The One Handed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you get that pic goatleaf and who made it??
Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gram
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 24

posted      Profile for gram   Email gram   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maedhros TOH, if you are interested in maps of Middle-earth check out this site:
M-e Map

------------------
""Oh, it's the meek! Blessed are the meek! Oh, that's nice, isn't it?
I'm glad they're getting something, 'cause they have a hell of a time."

From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
posted      Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
good link gram, thx
From: Valinor | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This book is a worthy read though it is quite dated. You have to remember what we had to work with in those days.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elrond Peredhil
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4109
posted      Profile for Elrond Peredhil   Email Elrond Peredhil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have the book and I think it's great. At least as great as a reference can be [] . But about the flaws, what are you referring to?
From: Rivendell, where else? | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I am intending to purchase it myself. Along with that other one. *goes to look for it *

Oh theres a link! ^^ two posts

[ 12-20-2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Dark Lord Andúril ]

From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » The Languages of Tolkien's Middle Earth
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help