Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Where did that cloak and hood came from?
Author Topic: Where did that cloak and hood came from?
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the one Bilbo took

From a locked drawer, smelling of moth-balls . . . so patched and weatherstained that their original colour could hardly be guessed: it might have been dark green. . . .

As he was preparing to leave Bag End after the Long-expected Party. []

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
From The Hobbit:
quote:
Don't be precise," said Dwalin, "and don't worry! You will have to manage without pocket-handkerchiefs, and a good many other things, before you get to the journey's end. As for a hat, I have got a spare hood and cloak in my luggage."

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nice try Aiwrendel … but . . . . . . sorry! []

Wrong cloak and hood, although it was mighty decent of Dwalin to loan Bilbo THAT particular cloak and hood it was NOT the one he took out of the drawer 60 years later. (Although it too was a "dark-green".)

Actually I threw out that question in attempt to jump-start this poor Minas Tirith forum, as it of late appears to be fading into some strange kind of oblivion . . . “I’m melting! Melting! Ooooh!” … or …"Where Is Everybody?" (the 1st episode of the old Twilight Zone series).

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah. He lost everything, including his buttons, when he escaped the Goblins.

Hmmm. Where did he get a replacement hood and cloak?

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
Now you’re on it Aiwrendel [] []

Here’s the particular quote from Out of the Frying Pan Into the Fire:
quote:
He had lost hood, cloak, food, pony, his buttons and his friends.
I figure from this quote from [i]A Warm Welcome[i]:
quote:
Indeed within a week they were quite recovered, fitted out in fine cloth of their proper colours . . .
That perhaps the nice ladies of Laketown made 14 new cloaks and hoods, and could THIS be the one that Bilbo took out of the locked drawer 60 years later.

If they made 14 they might likely make them all the same size (Dwarf size), and Bilbo’s would be a tad large for him just like the original.

Or, God forbid, Tolkien erred! NAW!! [] []

Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

Made in Laketown. That sounds right based on the quote.

The only small problem is Bilbo was there to be measured so why make his cloak too big?

Anyway, good try stimulating coversation. I guess all of the citizens are doing Summer activities outside and not coming in here. Look! There are some by the fountain.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Where did that cloak and hood came from?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help