Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » How many steps to the top of Orthanc? (Page 2)
Author Topic: How many steps to the top of Orthanc?
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
** Feeling lost and forgotten **
These discussions usually go off topic sooner or later, so the sooner you come to terms with it, the better for you. I was also finding it hard to accept at the beginning.
Cheer up.
[] [] [] [] [] [] []

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fear not G2, I’m good, [] and, well, “feeling lost and forgotten” is a bad choice of words. The discussion hasn’t really gone off topic. Just been expanded somewhat. That’s great!

Now it seems that both Tolkien and Gandalf may have used the word “thousand” in an arcane or historical way, which may take them both off the hook in the exaggeration dept.

And I can certainly come to terms with that! I love it! [] []

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
I got interested in the word meneg, wondering if it was meant to be taken as 'thousand' in modern terms. In Quendi And Eldar Tolkien used thousand in translation anyway: 'Menegroth means 'the Thousand Caves or Dwellings', but it contained one great rond and many minor ones.'

Thorsten Renk writes...

quote:
In the Silmarillion, the name Menegroth occurs for the stronghold of Thingol. It is translated 'The Thousand Caves', thus a Sindarin element #meneg 'thousand' can be isolated. It is very plausible that Thingols underground fortress did not exactly have thousand caves but just a large number, but a word meneg implying both a fixed number and the idea of a large number would tie in well with similar words in earlier periods, cf. e.g. húme '1000, orig. a great number' (PE14:49).'
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~trenk/elvish/numerals.html

I've seen another theory, wondering is Tolkien meant meneg to mean 12 cubed. Some point to real world language comparisons, considering the following -- although even if Tolkien was influenced by any of the words below, that doesn't necessarily mean the Sindarin word means something similar of course.

quote:
Adj. Old English monig, manig "many, many a, much," from Proto-Germanic *managaz (cognates: Old Saxon manag, Swedish mången, Old Frisian manich, Dutch menig, Old High German manag, German manch, Gothic manags), from PIE *menegh- "copious" (cognates: Old Church Slavonic munogu "much, many," Old Irish menicc, Welsh mynych "frequent," Old Irish magham "gift"). Pronunciation altered by influence of any (see manifold).many (n.)

Noun: Old English menigu, from many (adj.). The many "the multitude" attested from 1520s. Compare also Gothic managei "multitude, crowd," Old High German managi "large number, plurality," German Menge "multitude."

Anyway, if Saruman captured me I would only count to ten, if for some reason I thought to count the steps at all...

... unless I took off my boots of course, then I might remember I could go as high as twenty []

[ 09-20-2014, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Galin ]

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
These discussions usually go off topic sooner or later
 -

[] []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's not the case, I'm afraid.
From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
These discussions usually go off topic sooner or later

That's not the case, I'm afraid. (Agreed G2)

Occasionally would be the better word.

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » How many steps to the top of Orthanc? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help