Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Sauron's strength could have been greater
Author Topic: Sauron's strength could have been greater
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A bit of a what if, but never mind! Galadriel argued that had she had her way and Gandalf had been head of the White council that matters would have turned out otherwise. Well, suppose that Gandalf was head of the white council and did order an attack on Dol Guldor after he had found out that the Necromancer was Sauron.

I doubt that they had the ability to actually destroy Sauron will the Ring still existed, so wouldn't a more likely scenario have been that Sauron would have retreated to the East, which would have been good for a while for the Westlands, but then Sauron would have had the opportunity to build up his strength from the East.

Then when he had done so, it might have taken more time, but he would have been stronger wouldn't he and possibly invulnerable!

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tilion
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11333
posted      Profile for Tilion   Email Tilion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting what if scenario!

My thoughts are that if they had successfully recaptured Dol Guldor Galadriel and the Elves in Lothlórien perhaps would have played a more active role in aiding Gondor prior to Battle of the Pelennor Fields. It seems they were hindered to do so because of Dol Guldors several assaults on Lothlórien.

I got the impression that Gondor put alot of effort into hindering evil men from the south and east from joining up with Sauron's forces in Mordor, but largely failed to do so because of a lack of men. With the aid of Galadriel's immense experience and power and the rest of the competent Elves from Lothlórien I like to think that Sauron's forces would have been significantly weaker!

Also, Thranduil would've been able to help.

This is all assuming that Dol Guldor did not remain under command of a Nazgûl after the attack as it was in the story. Which I think may be a reasonable assumption, it would've been more of a surprise attack if they had attacked when Gandalf first proposed so.

That are my thoughts atleast. Flawed as they may be.

[ 11-25-2010, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Tilion ]

Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting point. Or, as I possibly think, the reverse might have happened. Had Sauron retreated to Mordor sooner, or even further East, might he not have had more access to his strength in his country and been able to build up his forces at peace and make them greater. He might also have had more time as the forces of the West would not have been able to assault him effectively in his Mordor stronghold.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tilion
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11333
posted      Profile for Tilion   Email Tilion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree. That sounds likely. Another important thing to take into consideration is Smaug. I think that Gandalf knew that Bilbo and the Dwarfs would lure out Smaug when they went to the Lonely Mountain, and that they planned their attack on Dol Guldor while this was happening.

If the White council had attacked Dol Guldor when Gandalf first proposed, which I think was well before the events in The Hobbit, Sauron might have put more effort into recruiting Smaug aswell.

With Smaug Sauron would be much stronger I believe, maybe he would patch up his weak spot on the belly as well.

Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
posted      Profile for The White Hand   Email The White Hand   Edit/Delete Post 
If Sauron showed himself before Mordor was ready, the entire west would have risen against him and occupied Mordor IMHO. Saruman cost them all dearly via his greed, and he almost cost them everything.
From: Memphis | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I think even at that time a Sauron in Mordor would have been too strong for any armed attack by the western forces.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Sauron's strength could have been greater
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help