Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » The Decline and Fall of Arnor (Page 4)
Author Topic: The Decline and Fall of Arnor
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting.

Are you naming both examples suicide then: heathen kings under Sauron's dominion and The Line of Elros alike?

From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To lay down and let your spirit pass from your body without inflicting self-damage I wouldn't consider suicide.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Authority is not given to you, Steward of Gondor, to order the hour of your death... And only the heathen kings, under the dominion of the Dark Power, did thus, slaying themselves in pride and despair, murdering their kin to ease their own death" (The Lord of the Rings, Book V, Chapter 7, paragraph 31).
Denethor was steward, not king, and, I think Gandalf's reference was more about the inappropriateness of Denethor's plan to murder Faramir. He barely managed to get Faramir out in time.
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anorgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4494
posted      Profile for Anorgil   Email Anorgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see much difference between "laying down and letting your spirit pass from your body" and "ordering the hour of your death," myself.

The way Denethor planned to do it was particularly violent and murderous, but "ordering the hour of your death" doesn't seem violent or murderous by default. And it seems like an accurate description of what Aragorn did too, albeit nonviolently.

[ 07-07-2015, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Anorgil ]

From: Illinois or Iowa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

Anorgil, now we come to semantics. There is "ordering" as in bringing things into order from disorder; also "ordering" as in a commanding way, which can be done even when one does not have a legal or moral right.
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anorgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4494
posted      Profile for Anorgil   Email Anorgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Order" in this case is clearly synonymous with "command."

Did Aragorn not command his own death?

From: Illinois or Iowa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

Anorgil, yes - I think we really are all in agreement.

Aragorn had a special dispensation:

quote:
Take counsel with yourself, beloved, and ask whether you would indeed have me wait until I wither and fall from my high seat unmanned, and witless. Nay, lady, I am the last of the Numenoreans and the latest King of the Elder Days; and to me has been given not only a span thrice that of Men of Middle-earth, but also the grace to go at my will. . . (LOTR, Appendix A, Tale of Aragorn and Arwen)

Denethor did not.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, from Denethor's point of view, he could argue that he was going to die anyway, so why shouldn't he take his own life!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

quote:
Well, from Denethor's point of view, he could argue that he was going to die anyway, so why shouldn't he take his own life!
Denethor had a duty, as steward of the realm, to see things through to their actual conclusion, not the one he feared. His suicide was akin to the captain of a ship abandoning it before all the passengers had been safely seen to shore or to another vessel. We have recent examples of that: a notable one being from South Korea. []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » The Decline and Fall of Arnor (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help