Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Dale/the northern lands during the Ring-war
Author Topic: Dale/the northern lands during the Ring-war
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while since I read LOTR, but I can't remember if it said anything about the war in the north, I just seem to remember the book saying the war was fought not only around Rohan and Gondor. Of course I remember Lorien being attacked, but what about the area from just south of Mirkwood up to the Ered Mithrin? Surely the war must have come to the dwarves and men of the north?
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed it did! Here was the one front where Sauron initially won, in fact. The Men of Dale (and I assume Lake Town) and the Dwarves of Erebor were defeated. Both King Brand of Dale and King Dain of Erebor were slain. The allies were besieged in the Mountain, until word came of the fall of Sauron 2 days later. Then they sallied forth and drove the Northern Army of Mordor away. This is in Appendix B.

I had asked some time ago if Dale and Lake Town (now unprotected on the Lake's shores) had been destroyed during this time period. I would guess they were, since they were unprotected, but no one seems able to find any definitive answer.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Was Beorn a part of this?
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, he was dead by this time. His son, Grimbeorn, was alive, but he was between the Misty Mountains and Mirkwood in the Great River valley. I don't believe that the orcs made it that far. Some attacked Thranduil, the wood-elf king, and some attacked Lorien from Dol Guldur, but I don't believe any made it to the woodmen or the Beornings.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would be of the belief that Dale & Lake Town would have been sacked and plundered during the short time the dark forces occupied them, ala Fornost in TA 1974-75.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Think so too Snowdog

quote:
. . . and there was a great battle at the Mountain’s feet. It lasted three days, but in the end both King Brand and King Dain Ironfoot were slain, and the Easterlings had the victory. But they could not take the Gate and many, both Dwarves and Men, took refuge in Erebor, and there withstood a siege.
-Appendix B

This does indicate that Dale and Laketown were open and available for ravaging, plundering, and destruction. (Not to mention pillaging, looting, and sacking . . . oops, just did! [] )
From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Beornings and Woodmen were almost certainly attacked as well. Why would they be spared when all others around them were under siege? They were part of the free people and so must have been hated by Sauron. (Also, they were very close to the Misty Mountains and easy to attack.)

It’s not mentioned in Appendix B but Frodo “saw” them when he wore the Ring on the Seat of Seeing on Amon Hen.
quote:
But everywhere he looked he saw the signs of war. The Misty Mountains were crawling like anthills: orcs were issuing out of a thousand holes. Under the boughs of Mirkwood there was deadly strife of Elves and Men and fell beasts. The land of the Beornings was aflame; a cloud was over Moria; smoke rose on the borders of Lórien.
Horsemen were galloping on the grass of Rohan; wolves poured from Isengard. From the havens of Harad ships of war put out to sea; and out of the East Men were moving endlessly: swordsmen, spearmen, bowmen upon horses, chariots of chieftains and laden wains. All the power of the Dark Lord was in motion

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I might ask a question which I have asked before, when was the Wild more west-friendly at the time before the slaying of Smaug or at the time before the War of the Ring?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I might ask a question which I have asked before, when was the Wild more west-friendly at the time before the slaying of Smaug or at the time before the War of the Ring?
Well, at the Unexpected Party Bilbo says, ”Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild Were-worms in the Last desert.”
But this statement may be just metaphorical or braggadocios on Bilbo’s part. []

This seems to indicate that the Far East was Wild before the slaying of Smaug. But, when was the Wild more West-friendly – anybody’s guess. []

If true makes one wonder why the Blue Wizards boogied into the Far East… [] []

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Dale/the northern lands during the Ring-war
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help