profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Gil-Galad's armor
Author Topic: Gil-Galad's armor
Ithildin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2126
posted      Profile for Ithildin   Email Ithildin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking suggestions as to what Gil-Galad's armor should look like, for a piece of fanart in which he is a part of. At first I was heavily swayed by the leafy designs used in the movie, but then I balked, remembering that he and most of his troops were Noldor. From what I could tell in my readings, they were a lot more distant from woodland living than the Silvan Elves, and would not have a heavy forest theme. Any suggestions? []
From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Middle Earth armourer, and so an artist as well (I've been drawing far longer than armouring [] )

Anyhow, I advise you to look to The Lonely Mountain Forge, which you can Google search - or you can have me send the link in a PM.

Not only will the Arms and Armour of Middle Earth essay give you textual support, but you can e-mail the proprietor and essay-writer, Joe Piela, directly for information.
He is most helful.

And good for you. More armour artwork is just what the world needs.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
His sword was long, his lance was keen,
his shining helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield. -FotR

quote:
The epessë was given to him because his helm and mail, and his sheild overlaid with silver and set with a device of white stars*, shone from afar like a star in sunlight or moonlight and could be seen by Elvish eyes at a great distance if he stood upon a height -'The Shibboleth of Feanor' The Peoples of Middle-earth(HoME 12) p.347-8
*(Tolkien's design:)  -

[ 01-24-2003, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: Fingolfin of the Noldor ]

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ithildin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2126
posted      Profile for Ithildin   Email Ithildin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the replies. I have a rough idea carved out in my mind now, though some details will be fixed as things go along. []
From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lonely Mountain Forge suggested by Imbëar does have a lot of great armour! Love the tutorial on how to make a Viking Spangenhelm!
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If his shinning helm was seen from afar, it doesn't sound like he had camouflage in mind!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Gil-Galad's armor
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help