Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » How Many Times? (Page 2)
Author Topic: How Many Times?
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm just wondering (on average) how many times everyone has read Lotr
(the Fellowship of the Ring,
The two Towers,
and The Return of the King).
By this I mean the complete trilogy (books1-6) as a whole.

I read the six book (2books x 3) around two dozen times since 1975. Sadly, I've only read it once in the last 10 years.

As for the Silmarillion, I have read some chapters many times, and read other chapters a little as once. Read Unfinished Tales a few times, and Children of Hurin twice.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I personally have lost count. Though also, sadly, in recent years I don't do as much reading as I did. I wonder if the Internet and writing has taken over? I suppose it might be time for another read through!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I too lost track over the decades since I first read it. I still read the books often but usually not start to finish. Sometimes I'll follow only Aragorn and other Men skipping through the parts with the Hobbits. Other times the opposite. Or I'll just read a few favorite chapters. The Council of Elrond is a great stand-alone chapter and reading it is similar to reading the appendices.

I have one three-volume paperback copy in which I wrote page numbers at the end of sequences that take you to the page where the sequence continues.

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Beginning in 1974, I read the trilogy including the appendices every year at least once, (sometimes twice), until I began having children (in 1982). [] I read The Hobbit less frequently. After that, I read the trilogy at least once every three years for quite a long time, but tapered off due to . . . other demands on my life. [] I have read only bits and pieces of the other works. Perhaps I will finally get around to the complete works after I retire. []
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In 1969 an acquaintance suggested I buy a copy of the trilogy The Lord of the Rings.
A few weeks later I went to the bookstore but forgot the name of the book. The sales clerk asked if she could help. I told her I was looking for a fantasy trilogy but had forgotten the name. She said “Oh, you want The Lord of the Rings. (This was before every Tom, Dick, and Harry began writing trilogies, tetralogies, etc.)
She also suggested I buy The Hobbit as it was sort of an introduction into LotR.

So . . . having lost actual count here’s a conservative estimate:

The Hobbit – 30 +
LotR – 50+
Sil. – 10 +
U.T. – 8 +
Letters – 2
HoMe – 1
And various others - plus research - 100 + + +

This is all mostly pre-Jackson which makes me appreciate the books all the more. Jackson’s films are beautiful eye-candy but the inaccuracies make me cringe. []

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » How Many Times? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help