Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » How Many Times? (Page 1)
Author Topic: How Many Times?
Ashenstone
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2747

posted      Profile for Ashenstone   Email Ashenstone   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering (on average) how many times everyone has read Lotr
(the Fellowship of the Ring,
The two Towers,
and The Return of the King).
By this I mean the complete trilogy (books1-6) as a whole. Not the indivisual books.

I'm on my 2nd time.

[ 11-09-2002, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Ashenstone ]

From: MI | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A.H.Black
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2285
posted      Profile for A.H.Black   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've read it between 20 and 30 times. Lots of partial readings. I used to read it every year like Christopher Lee but when I found myself not weeping uncontrollably at the end, I was afraid it was losing it's impact so I started "saving" it as something special.

Hobbit - 4 times
Silmarilian - twice
Unfinished Tails Vol I and II
Humphrey Carpenter's biography
I'm currently wending my way through The Lays of Beleriand and I am leading a book discussion of Lord of the Rings on another board.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbit = prolly about 3
Silmarillion = 2
Lotr = 5

From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emma the hobbit
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2741
posted      Profile for Emma the hobbit   Author's Homepage   Email Emma the hobbit   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've only read it once but i am about to start it again, although i maght wait until i have seen the two towers !

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

From: Hobbiton. Well actually Bradford, but we can dream | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

posted      Profile for Sam Gamgee   Email Sam Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Hobbit = 2 1/2
LOTR = 4 (3 plus all the partial readings)
Silmarillion = 1 1/2
Other Tolkien
stuff = another 500 pages

Watched the

From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grond
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1833
posted      Profile for Grond   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see. I'm 48 and read it first when I was 19. 48 - 19 = 29 years. I read the LotR at least twice a year from cover to cover. So LotR over 50 times and I reread much of it while doing research.

I only reread the Hobbit every other year or so. Total is probably around 20 times.

I read the Sil when it came out in 1977 and read it only once more til 1992. I have read it at least once a year since then. So on the Sil say 12.

Unfinished Tales a total of five times.

The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien once but I use it in research daily.

HoMe - I've read them all at least once. HoMe X, XI and XII more than once.

Oh and I forgot to tell you this.... I am an old Tolkien geek/nerd. []

[ 11-10-2002, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Grond ]

From: SunnySouth | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Hobbit: Once.

LOTR: 2 1/2

SIL: 2 1/2

LOST TALES: once

HoME 6,7,8: once

I'm currently re-reading LoTR, and at the same time reading HoME 10, the Unfinished Tales, and the Lays of Beleriand.

Did I mention that I hadn't read anything by Tolkien before January 2002?

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
LOTR - straight through - at least 25 times. Parts of it more than that.

The Hobbit - probably about 15 times.

There is a thread about this somewhere [] .

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
SSA, did you forget The Silmarillion? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The Legendarium Project

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't forget - I still can't get through it!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, SSA, I too recall that thread.

LOTR - 5 times, including once reading to my son
Hobbit - 4 or 5
Sil -- 2
Tolkien Reader -- 2 or 3
Unfinished Tales -- 1
HoME -- parts & pieces, once

From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A.H.Black
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2285
posted      Profile for A.H.Black   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So Grond - how many editions have you worn out. I had three at one time. One disappeared and one is literally in tatters. The other one is leather bound so I don't actually "read" that one. It's a keepsake.
Fimbrethil
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2772
posted      Profile for Fimbrethil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.. I've been reading Tolkien since I was 12 (as I am now 23 that makes over half the years I've lived!). I've read The Hobbit and LOTR at least once a year since then, sometimes more so for Hobbit I'd say probably 16, LOTR probably 18 or 19, and the Silmarillion I'd have to guess more like 6 or 7 (I read it first soon after I read LOTR for the first time and didn't read it again for a few years-- expected it too much to be like LOTR, but now it's probably my favorite).
I've read Unfinished Tales and the Book of Lost Tales 1&2 once each.
And my copies of the Lord of the Rings books are so tattered they fall apart more every time I pick them up, but I can't bear to toss them and buy more. []

From: Roanoke, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sâlienne de Lioncourt
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2570

posted      Profile for Sâlienne de Lioncourt   Author's Homepage   Email Sâlienne de Lioncourt   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly I've only read all of them once, but I am going to reread soon. I started to, but then school started monopolizing my life.
From: the Black Pearl | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Kaladir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2695

posted      Profile for Kaladir   Email Kaladir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad read the hobbit to me when I was 4 and then the lotr when I was 6 or 7. I then read the hobbit again for myself a few times, but only came back to reading them both when I was about 19, since then have read the hobbit about 5 times and lotr at least 8 times... have just borrowed my dad's copy of Sil, so am yet to read it...
From: Glasgow | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grond
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1833
posted      Profile for Grond   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] [] A. H. Black, I have worn out at least four boxed sets which included The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I have all four books in the Easton Press leatherbound editions which I read twice yearly. I have a movie oversized all in one paperback which I use for research. My UT is the current UK Hardback edition published by Harper-Collins. My Silmarillion is the First U. S. Edition, First Printing.

In my actual collection are the Harper-Collins special edition Black Leather editions of The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion and the three volumes of The Histories of Middle-earth. Volume 1 of this edition includes HoMe I - V... Volume 2 includes HoMe VI - IX and Volume 3 includes HoMe X - XII. This collection also has first edition, first printings of The Letters (Allen-Unwin edition), first edition, first printing of The Silmarillion (Allen-Unwin edition and Houghton- Mifflin editions), first edition, first printing of Unfinished Tales (Allen-Unwin Edition), first edition, first printing of Lays of Beleriand (Allen-Unwin edition) and first edition, first printings of HoMe X and HoMe XI (Houghton-Mifflin editions).

Here's a picture of a small part of my collection

From: SunnySouth | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Deraj the Plaid
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1351

posted      Profile for Deraj the Plaid   Email Deraj the Plaid   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I "read" it I was 12-years old. And, actually, it was read to me by my mom. Since then I have read it twice more. Next week I shall start reading it again in preparation for TTT in theaters!
From: Del-Mar-Va | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwen Imladris
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2087
posted      Profile for Arwen Imladris   Email Arwen Imladris   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, like Deraj the Plaid my parents read it too me first. Since then I have read the Hobbit too many times to count, LOTR at least 5 times the sil, UT once. I have also read Smith of Wooton Major, Tree and Leaf, A leaf by niggle, Roverandom, The adventures of Tom Bombadil, and perhaps some others, only once.
From: Canada, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
FotR I believe I have read 3 times)
TTT - twice
RotK - only 1 and a half times
The Hobbit - 2 1/2 times

Also I've read through about half of Tolkien's biography, and a lot of the Lord of the Rings Beastiary.

From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simbelmyne
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2530
posted      Profile for simbelmyne   Email simbelmyne   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When I was 8 or 9 our teacher at primary school read us the Hobbit as our end of the day story. I thought it was utter magic and couldn't wait for story time. It is the most vivid part of my primary school memories. The teacher was a short old gentleman and I thought he must be a hobbit.

I read the Hobbit many times and then got the LotR as a teenager. I have lost count of the times I have read it.

When the Sil came out I read that and have read it once or twice again since then.

I only found out the existence of the rest of the Tolkien material since coming here to MT. Since moving to MT I have read UT and have just started Lost Tales. I am also reading Tolkien's Ring by David Day illustrated by Alan Lee which gives a fascinating insight into the myth and legend which inspired Tolkien's work.

Tolkien's da man!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Take risks

From: manchester | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Straight through, 28 times, +/- 2. Parts, another 10 times or so.

The Silmarillion: Once all the way through, and chapters here and there a few times.

The Hobbit: I'd say around 7-9 times.

UT: Various chapters...

Fëanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1393

posted      Profile for Fëanáro   Email Fëanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When I was 5 my parents read the Hobbit to me and when I was 6 they read LOTR to me. I'm now 15. Including all the times they were read to me I've read the Hobbit about 6 times and LOTR almost 8. I've also read the Silm. once and the Lost Tales 1 once. I've read Farmer Giles of Ham once and fliped through the Adventures of Tom Bombadil many times.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, you step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.

From: ENGLAND | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2697

posted      Profile for Aerel   Email Aerel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Rings: 19 times.
The Hobbit: 14 times.
The Silmarillion: 3 times.
I've also read Roverandom, Leaf By Niggle, and Book of Lost Tales 1. I will shortly delve into the mysterious world of HoME...
Heh, my mum says I read far too much! Oh well.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Faerie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold...

"You can't second-guess ineffability, I always say."

From: England | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatáriel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2904
posted      Profile for Alatáriel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quite many times... now i feel like I'm left behind!
"There and back again" 3 times
"The lord of the rings" 5 times
"The silmarillion" 2 times

From: Denmark | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheStrider
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 953
posted      Profile for TheStrider   Email TheStrider   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Probably about 20 times
Hobit about 6
Similarion 2
I stayed up all night the first time.

Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » How Many Times? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help