Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » What's with the name Evenstar??? (Page 2)
Author Topic: What's with the name Evenstar???
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I always got the impression from the books that it had something to do with her resemblance to Tinuviel:
quote:
Arwen, daughter of Elrond, in whom it was said that the likeness of Luthien had come on earth again; and she was called Undomiel, for she was the Evenstar of her people.
And if you look at the story of Luthien in the Silm;

quote:
In his heart he called her Tinuviel, that signifies Nightingale, daughter of twilight, ...And he saw her afar as leaves in the winds of autumn, and in winter as a star upon a hill...

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's known for certain, to date anyway, but Hammond and Scull's Guide to The Lord of the Rings notes: 'Evenstar of her people' means, perhaps, that Arwen was the last Elf of high rank born in Middle-earth, where the time of the Elves is now coming to an end.'

Arwen being born in Third Age 241 is relatively young, although again, I take the insertion of 'perhaps' here to mark that even Hammond and Scull cannot be certain.

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think the term "of high rank" is definitive, while other Elves born later were of the people of the older High Elves.

"Evenstar" would be the first star of the evening, which signals the coming of the twilight, or here, the ending of the Elves' reign in the world, before they returned to Aman. However this begs the question that they knew she'd be the last. Galadriel could certainly fortell much, however.

As Gimli tells Eomer, "You have chosen the Evening; but my love is given to the Morning. And my heart forebodes that soon it will pass away for ever.’"
[]

[ 11-10-2012, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Luthien the morning-star, and Arwen the Evenstar.
Here in the real world, they are names of the same bright light in the sky that is Venus.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
Gil-galad means "Star light" rather than "Bright Spear", without going into the late, "unpublished" etymology of "Star of Radiance", or the confusion of the two accounts concerning Elvish naming customs.

It took me fours years to get this post just right, and I'll probably still edit it.

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » What's with the name Evenstar??? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help