Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » What's with the name Evenstar??? (Page 1)
Author Topic: What's with the name Evenstar???
Arwen Undómiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1638

posted      Profile for Arwen Undómiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know Arwen was referred to as "the Evenstar of her people" because she was so beautiful, but where did the name "Evenstar" come from anyways???
From: the Great White North | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor theWhiteLady
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1409

posted      Profile for theWhiteLady   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about this too. That necklace she wore in the movie they call her "evenstar" symbolizing her immortality. Was that in the book?
From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinwë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1755

posted      Profile for Tinwë   Email Tinwë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In one of my LoTR books it says

quote:
Arwen wears the great and magical Elven jewel called the Evenstar (a name by which she is also known). It symbolizes not only her goodness and beauty, but also her longevity, so in giving it to Aragorn to wear on his great journey into shadow, she gives him also her heart, and her life.
I don't know if that answers your question, but I thought it was interesting []
From: Lost and alone... | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malgilwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1121

posted      Profile for Malgilwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this answers the quisten.
From: New Jersey!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was because she was one of the last elves to be born? That is what the movie is saying anyway.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I believe, and I may be wrong, that it has to do with imagery of time. Arwen is the last of the elves to be born, so Evenstar is sort of like a play on "evening star." Somewhere in ROTK, Gimli tells that one guy (can't remember who it was at the moment) that he prefers the beauty of the morning (talking about Galadriel, which would make her a sort of morning star) while the guy prefers the beauty of the evening, talking of course about Arwen.

Morning star is a big part of symbolism in the Bible also, so it probably has roots there. My opinion is that Evenstar is just an imagery of time and beauty.

From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwen Undómiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1638

Actually I was just reading FOTR (like 5 minutes ago) and I read that the Evening Star, Earendil (or something like that) as known to the elves, is also known as the Even-star! So that's the Evenstar, the beautiful light-giver thing . . . so that probably ties into it somehow!

[ 02-10-2002, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Arwen Undomiel ]

From: the Great White North | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Kosomot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1105

posted      Profile for Kosomot   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Arwen was born Third Age 241- hardly the last Elf to be born. And Earendil was her grandfather, who wore the last Silmaril on his brow, just like AU said. Maybe her name signalled the fading of Elves and the beginning of the dominition of Men, which started after the war of the Ring.
From: The Hells of Iron | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fëanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1393

posted      Profile for Fëanáro   Email Fëanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure where 'evenstar' came from. It could be (if what Arwen Undomiel says is true) that since Arwen is the most beautiful of the elves, that she was given one of the names of the silmarils (Earendils star) which was one of the three most beautiful elven gems.

Tinwe, I think you must be refering to a movie LotR book because in THE book, Arwen never gives him a 'magical jewel', but Galadriel gives him a/the green elfstone, I cant remember what it was called right now.

From: ENGLAND | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Kullervo has put forth what I believe is the "proper" interpretation. Arwen was one of the last powerful Elves to actively remain in the Middle Earth and, specifically, to mingle her blood with that of Men. She, in deed, signified the waning of her people, but also their "spirit" birthed into a new world. The image of a lone guiding Star amid a field of night is an ancient beacon of hope.

Consider the "Evenstar" imagery and symbolism similar to the sorrow/hope captured in the account of the Twilight of the Gods.
While the mythical treasure is lost, drowned in the river Rhein(sp), the treasure at the same moment becomes a permanent part of the land, enhancing the river's beauty beyond what either gold or nature could accomplish alone.
Now apply that to the union of Elf and Man.

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evenspire
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 689
posted      Profile for Evenspire   Email Evenspire   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What I'm getting from this thread, is that Arwen was significant to her people, and her departure very meaningful. Something I hadn't picked up on before.

Thank you Arwen for starting it, and the rest of you for all your contributions. Tolkien keeps amazing me with yet more proof of the richness of his heart. His works must have meant a great deal to him.

From: U | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwen Undómiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1638

I can say "You're Welcome" for myself, but not for JRRT . . . but if he was here I bet he would thank you for your compliment and say "You're Welcome" for himself!

[ 02-16-2002, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Arwen Undomiel ]

ChrispyCream
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1701

posted      Profile for ChrispyCream   Email ChrispyCream   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and what is with elrond half elven??, why is it his surname??, i know his blood line has man in it, but still i would have thought his surname would have been undomeil??

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
7 Seasons, 144 Episodes, 6018 minutes, 361018 Seconds.
BEST. SHOW. EVER.
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade,
All shall fade, all shall fade.

From: Australia, land of milk and honey... and some cement. | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwen Undómiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1638

I don't think Elves have the same name "rules" as we do. Anyways, Arwen's name is Undomiel, and Elrond is just her uncle, so he might have had a different name.
Anarion(Lestat)
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 691

posted      Profile for Anarion(Lestat)   Author's Homepage   Email Anarion(Lestat)   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
YOU FOOL! Have you read the books? Arwen Evenstar, is the Daughter of Celebrían(daughter of Galadrial0, and Elrond Half-Elven. Meaning Elrond is her father, not her uncle.
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elanore Gamgee
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1695
posted      Profile for Elanore Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about her name, but Arwen is Elrong's daughter. At least that's what the little "family tree" charts in the back of my copy of the Sil say.
From: Spokane, WA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hrivendil
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1804
posted      Profile for Hrivendil   Edit/Delete Post 
Aiya everyone

Elves didn't had "surnames" as we know them. I don't know how they named the names, but they had 2. One set by the father just after they were born, and another set by the mother later, related to the character/way of thinking/way of acting of the child. For example, while Feanor was the name given by the mother, related to the way he was, Curufinwe was the name given by the father.

HRIVENDIL

Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Kosomot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1105

posted      Profile for Kosomot   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings, Hrivendil. You have a point. How old was Arwen when her mother departed to the West? Was she given the name Undomiel before or after that? And if Undomiel was the name given by her mother, it´s unusual that she´s called Arwen and not Undomiel.

Like Hrivendil said, the name given by an Elf´s mother is more likely to become the name the Elf is going to be known, because mothers see deeper into their child´s mind, thus giving a more accurate name.
[]
Curufinwe= Son of Finwe
Feanáro= Spirit of Fire

[ 02-22-2002, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: Kullervo ]

From: The Hells of Iron | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwen Undómiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1638

Actually I'm reading the Two Towers right now, and SOMEONE told me he was her uncle . . . I don't remember who. I think I heard it on Minas Tirith though.
Roll of Honor Thangail
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1292

posted      Profile for Thangail   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
hell no.
You see, it sorts explains why it is elrond who prevents her from shacking up with aragorn, does it not, him being her father and all?

From: Capital City | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I like that idea of your mom giving you another name! I would be named Halley if we did that.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwen Undómiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1638

Anyways, let's get back to the point of the thread . . . what WOULD you do if you were Arwen???
The Prince of Magnets
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11380
posted      Profile for The Prince of Magnets   Author's Homepage   Email The Prince of Magnets   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, just to clarify the elvish naming system, you had a max of 3 names
Name 1: Given by father, usually reminiscent of of his own name (i.e. Fingolfin/Fingon or Finwe/Curufinwe
Name 2: Given by mother, using her foresight to specify your character (i.e. Curufinwe being named Feanor)
Name 3: Given by your peers, usually to commemorate something you've done, but could be for any reason (i.e. Ereinon Gil-Galad, Gil-Galad meaning bright spear, or Elrond Peredhel, Peredhel meaing half-elven)

From: Kyouma | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I assume an Elf could be given more than one name of type 3.
I always thought 'Evenstar' would be such a name.

Interestingly enough, so is 'Galadriel' - the name was given her by her husband, and she only used that name from then onwards.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, a 10-year necrobump!
[]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » What's with the name Evenstar??? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help