Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Which chapter could you do without? (Page 2)
Author Topic: Which chapter could you do without?
Roll of Honor Meneldil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 417

posted      Profile for Meneldil   Email Meneldil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I the only chapter which i thought was Very good before Aragorn turned up was 'In the Huse of Tom Bombadil'
From: Guildford, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor TheGentleman
Captain of the Newbie Guard
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's not realy a chapter, but for first time reading I don't think the Prolouge is necessary! I always advise first time readers to skip this and head straight into chapter one.

------------------
<INSERT WITTY REMARK>

This message has been edited by TheGentleman on 08-18-2001 at

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*waves at square g* []
quote:
I think I'd have to say "In the house of Tom Bombadil". The chapter has no meaning to the rest of the book whatsoever.
Yes, I agree. On more than one of my re-reads I have either skimmed over or skipped The core of this chapter. Sure, he got the hobbits out of Old Man Willow and the Barrows, but there was little more that it added. And these events only served to bring in Tom and say farewell to him in the first place.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It appears many think that we could do without the Bombadil chapter. I guess (but I hate) to agree with this thinking.

Although he is an enigma and a very strange but likeable fellow he seems to serve little purpose in the tale. A large part of what makes Tolkien’s work so supreme is his detailed character development which causes us to become deeply involved with them and the events of their lives. But Bombadil, although apparently having a supreme power, seems to have few desires for the goings-on outside his “own land”, gets little expansion.

I’m sure Tolkien gave Bombadil little development purposefully that we may draw our own conclusions and many of us may have an apathy toward him.

Perhaps those who don’t care for Tom Bombadil simply because they don’t know him well enough?
[] []

[ 10-09-2014, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: The Flammifer ]

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps those who don’t care for Tom Bombadil simply because they don’t know him well enough?
Or don't care to know him any more than they do. As a poem, it works ok, and dod bring in some interesting aspects like Old Man Willow and the Barrow Wights, but if the whole block of Tom is left out of the book, the story still carries on great with very little lost. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the Bombadil chapter seems pointless, but IMO if it was left out, then introducing the character would make no sense and he shouldn't be there at all (PJ and his [] fan would probably agree). But I like Bombadil, mysterious as he is.

If I had to cut sth out, it would be either "The Field of Cormallen" or "Many Partings"

[ 10-10-2014, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Gollum Gollum ]

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Without Tom Bombadil, certain scriptwriters found it impossible to explain how the One Ring could be an all-corrupting influence yet Faramir could refuse to be corrupted.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am in too great doubt to rule. To prepare or to let be? To prepare for war, which is yet only guessed: train craftsmen and tillers in the midst of peace for bloodspilling and battle: put iron in the hands of greedy captains who will love only conquest, and count the slain as their glory? Will they say to Eru: At least your enemies were amongst them? Or to fold hands, while friends die unjustly: let men live in blind peace, until the ravisher is at the gate? What then will they do: match naked hands against iron and die in vain, or flee leaving the cries of women behind them? Will they say to Eru: At least I spilled no blood?
'When either way may lead to evil, of what worth is choice? Let the Valar rule under Eru!
- Tar Meneldur [UT 2 II:173-174]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We could say Faramir refused to be corrupted, yes. He rejected the opportunity to seize The Ring.
Others refused The Ring (and its corruptive qualities): Gandalf and Galadriel for example; Aragorn too.

Who was corrupted by The Ring: Gollum; Frodo (in the end); Isildur (to an extent).

Bombadil was above and beyond (out of sync we might say) with all other characters, as he was not only NOT affected by The Ring, but had a singular power OVER it. []

What a jolly old fellow and his boots were yellow. []
Master of wood, wind and water.

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Which chapter could you do without? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help