Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Which chapter could you do without? (Page 1)
Author Topic: Which chapter could you do without?
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Since everybody is asking for favorite characters and species and chapters, I'd like to ask an opposite question for a change:

If one chapter should be cut out of the LotR, and you were responsible for choosing which one, which one would you choose? (That is, not one of the Appendices, of course!)

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd have to say "In the house of Tom Bombadil". The chapter has no meaning to the rest of the book whatsoever.

This message has been edited by Gandalf The White on 08-15-2001 at

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If cuts were necessary, I would soonest go without A Short Cut to Mushrooms, The Passage of the Marshes, The Black Gate is Closed and Many Partings. Bombadil and the Barrow-downs, whilst far from essential for the plot, interest me far more than the above.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In the House of Tom Bombadil.

------------------
~Fool of a Took
"Since we cannot controle it, maybe we should just wait and see what happens. Hoping and praying wouldnt hurt either."

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
posted      Profile for Galdor of the Tree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutly agree with The L.
From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
with Bombidil and Goldberry
From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caranthir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 28
posted      Profile for Caranthir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A Shortcut To Mushrooms.
Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

posted      Profile for ZENITH   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with caranthir down whith the mushies!!

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
THE HIGLANDER

From: The Mens Room. ENGLAND | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Meneldil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 417

posted      Profile for Meneldil   Email Meneldil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The paassage of the marshes or a shortcut to mushrooms.
From: Guildford, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the passage of the marshes doesn't have much revelevance, but I can take that better than In the House of Tom Bombadil
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Meneldil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 417

posted      Profile for Meneldil   Email Meneldil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I very much enjoyed 'In the house of Tom Bombadil' but found 'passage of the marshes' a little boring.
From: Guildford, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
posted      Profile for Galdor of the Tree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sure Bombadil didn't have too much importance but it was just a damn good chapter. So maybe the story could do without it but I can't.
From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gray Matter
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 755
posted      Profile for Gray Matter   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There should never have been a last chapter.

What does " " mean? ?

From: san diego CA USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ninj
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 681
posted      Profile for Ninj   Email Ninj   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
aw! get with it gray!
From: The magical elven realmadi-blah-di-blah | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midus unknown
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 358
posted      Profile for Midus unknown   Email Midus unknown   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
this is my first reply in over a month i bet, anyway the house of tombombadil in my opinion isn't worth having in there.
From: once i lived in the land of mirkwood but now i travel the world | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

Gray Matter, At first I thought you meant there should be no Grey Havens which is a favorite of mine. Now I realize what you meant Took me a minute! LoL
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
posted      Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for mine own use, I could cut out the first Chapter seeing as i think we all know it verbatim...but for the rest of the world to read...the story would be hampered by a missing chapter =/
From: Valinor | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caranthir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 28
posted      Profile for Caranthir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe you missed the point...

yet again...

Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grey Pilgrim
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 382

posted      Profile for Grey Pilgrim   Email Grey Pilgrim   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't have missed Tom's house for the world! The chapters that really annoy me when I reread LotR are 'The taming of Smeagol' and 'Of herbs and stewed rabbit' I don't know why. It may be argued that they're important to the story (though I don't necessarily agree) but I just don't like to read them.

------------------
"Oh f**k, not another Elf!" -Hugo Dyson, during the reading of a manuscript by J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Tol Eressea (Holland) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I quite disagree with you, good friend! I certainly do like Sam preparing a coney for his beloved master. Just a little rest during a hazardous journey.
And what's amiss with 'The taming of Smeagol'? The Chapter is indeed necessary for the rest of the story, so that can't be the thing that annoys you!

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Meneldil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 417

I think Of Herbs and stewed rabbit is very good but i admit i did not altogether enjoy The taming of smeagol but it is essential to the plot.
Elbereth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 481
posted      Profile for Elbereth   Author's Homepage   Email Elbereth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with the L.Dorian on this one, once again my Guilfordian friend is right -- mushrooms - boring. If I could i would get rid of the majority of the first few chapters, for me I only really began to enjoy things once aragorn showed up!
From: Guildford, Surrey, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I could not live without The Shadow of the Past.

I would agree that the chapters tend to be better after Aragorn's introduction, though.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elbereth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 481
posted      Profile for Elbereth   Author's Homepage   Email Elbereth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am now having to look to see which chapter that is -- I shall then decide whether it is essential or not!
From: Guildford, Surrey, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elbereth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 481
Afetr a quick reread -- perhaps you do need that chapter -- once again you a right!
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Which chapter could you do without? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help