Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Boromir, Good or Evil? (Page 4)
Author Topic: Boromir, Good or Evil?
Rinaraniel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3120

posted      Profile for Rinaraniel   Author's Homepage   Email Rinaraniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I could care less if he was good or bad. I just don't like him.
From: Mordor | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's nice.

If you don't care about the topic, why post here?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
To gain that which is worth having, it may be necessary to lose everything else.
~Bernadette Devlin
http://www.shonjir.net

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sâlienne de Lioncourt
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2570

posted      Profile for Sâlienne de Lioncourt   Author's Homepage   Email Sâlienne de Lioncourt   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Boromir was in any way inherently evil. True, he did succumb to the Ring, but even Frodo succumbed to the temptation eventually! We can't label hime "evil" simply because of his one err of pride. Besides, he "made up for it" and got earned honor back by protecting Merry and Pippin at the end. I'd have to say, altogether, he was "good" but not a perfect flawless angel.
From: the Black Pearl | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Several others have already expressed more thorougly just what I also think about Boromir so, in short: I never thought Boromir was evil. He just fell for the lure of the Ring, and was not wise and strong enough to resist it. And, the reason he wanted the Ring was to be able to help his people in a battle that seemed just desperate.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3219

posted      Profile for Elanor Gamgee   Email Elanor Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boromir had good intentions to begin with-he believed that he would put the ring to good use, and didn't understand its corrupting power, nor realise it was already working on him. Think of what Galadriel said to Sam when he asked her to take the ring to put a stop to bad things happening, that it would start with good intentions and end in evil. I think she had a good understanding of whst was going on in Boromir's mind, even if he didn't. And remember what Aragorn said to the dying Boromir when he said he had failed "No Boromir, you have conquered. Few have gained such a victory." He may have been weak, but he was very brave, and his heart was in the right place. I think it's rather harsh to say that he deserved to die because he was weaker than others such as Faramir and Aragorn, or because he caused trouble-so did Pippin in Moria, in a moment of foolishness!
From: Moscow | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sirith
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3453
posted      Profile for Sirith   Author's Homepage   Email Sirith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... lets get one thing straight! i don't think that boromir is evil! it says that the race of men is likely to be greedy, but not evil. oh yes, there are some men who go wrong... but that is not to say that boromir is one of them. i mean, look at his psychotic father! look at faramir... he's not evil! neither is eowyn. all i have to say is that people make mistakes sometimes. i don't think that others have the right to judge what is evil and what is good by how big a mistake that person makes. boromir apologized about trying to take the ring from frodo. he swore his allegiance to the fellowship, and i dont think he was a sauron- worshipper.
From: united states | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Of course Boromir wasn't evil. Weak, pressured, yes. That man had the weight of the world on his shoulders, so to speak. I think of it this way, when your immune system is down, you are more likely to catch a cold. Boromir's immune system was down, I have always blamed his father for his weakness, here he is trying to save Gondor, because his father has put so much pressure on him to make things right. The ring knew his weakness, the ring knew his resistance was low and he caught cold. I know that probably sounds stupid. I think the ring knew your weakness and used that against you. Boromir was helpless. I think he did redeem himself and went on to Gondor heaven.
From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boromir was inherently a good person, but since the Council of Elrond, had a desire to use the power of the Ring against Sauron. This was the crack in his armor, but he tried to keep a lid on it. Galadriel saw through this though, and eventually the Ring managed to overpower his will to remain true to the Fellowship. It only took a moment, and things were set in motion. He totally redeemed himself with the fight that led to his death.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Snowdog []
Redemption - A magnificent gift to mortal man.

From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good points all! []

Some say Boromir was a war-mongering bully. Of course he was interested in arms and battle; and was considered a great and honored warrior.
He was raised in an era of conflict and was situated at the first line of defense battling the greatest threat against freedom that Middle-earth had known in the 3rd Age.
But a man can be fond of arms and also be sensitive. He had the same dream Faramir had and decided to go on the quest to find the answers. He could easily have sent another on this long arduous journey but didn’t, leaving behind possible glory on the front line.

After learning of the Ring and its powers (from strangers) he felt its best purpose would be to use it. He believed the Ring would be better put to use against Sauron than a (to him) frivolous attempt at its destruction.
Initially and for the most part he cared not who wielded it as long as it was put to use against Mordor. He wasn’t looking for self-aggrandizement, but eventually fell under the call of the Ring in a temporary fit of desperation, giving the impression that he fell to his own lack of character. Many of Middle-earth felt the same calling but were not chastised for it:
Isildur should have destroyed the Ring but thought it “too fair”; Deagol certainly didn’t want to give it up and was killed for his trouble; Smeagol, without ever touching it, fell under its spell; Frodo (in the end) was completely under its enchantment; Galadriel felt its beckoning.

Some might think Boromir tried to kill Frodo. Baloney! We have all said things in fits of anger and frustration with no thoughts of murder. Boromir *immediately* repented his rashness on Amon Hen. He then unhesitatingly went to the aid of Merry and Pippin and lost his life – not the actions of a coward, but of a brave, sensitive, caring person.

Yes, Boromir delighted in arms and battle for a true cause against a real enemy. I believe he was a reasonable man who desired and fought for peace and freedom for the West. He was “accounted the best man in Gondor” because of these qualities, and gave his life in defense of the innocent to prove it.

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's a funny thing, but when Gandalf dies in Moria, we, the readers are supposed to think that a great tragic thing and it is. When Boromir dies maybe not so much. Yet, when people like Eomer are told the news and others they seem to grieve more over Boromir's death than Gandalf's.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Eomer to the Three Hunters on the death of Gandalf:
quote:
’That is heavy tidings,’ said Eomer. ‘At least to me, and to many; though not to all. . .’[speaking of his father Theoden]
Eomer on Boromir’s death:
quote:
’Your news is all of woe!’ cried Eomer in dismay. . . That was a worthy man! All spoke his praise. He seldom came to the Mark. . .but I have seen him.
It seems to me that Eomer who knew neither Gandalf nor Boromir well had equal misgivings on the two deaths, even though his comments about Boromir are more extensive. I think it natural that he had more to say about Boromir (even though he had only “seen” him) as Gondor was on the front lines bearing the brunt from the East.
code:

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
speaking of his father Theoden
[] [] [] PLEASE TELL ME YOU WERE TERRIBLY SLEEPY WHILE WRITING THIS!!! [] [] []

The fact that people grieve for Boromir more than for Gandalf does not surprise me: Boromir was a famous warrior, he was of great value to those who opposed Sauron. There were no stories of a brave Gandalf in battle, and not eveyone knew how powerful he was.

I really like both of your posts, Flammifer (apart from this Theoden thing of course) [] []

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
[] [] [] Good catch G2 and Oops all over me. [] [] [] I needed to leave “his father” out. Ten days in the lockholes for me. []

In feeble defense, after the death of Eomund Theoden took in Eowyn and Eomer and treated them like son and daughter. Perhaps a partial pardon?? []

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Boromir, Good or Evil? (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help