Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Boromir, Good or Evil? (Page 2)
Author Topic: Boromir, Good or Evil?
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
posted      Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
ok, who said he wasn't bold? cuz thats all that quote proves
From: Valinor | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
posted      Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i think he was greedy due to the fact that he was in a time of great need.
From: Valinor | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boromir was not evil and despite his temporary weakness in a time of great need he did redeem himself through his sacrifice for Merry and Pippin.
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
posted      Profile for Galdor of the Tree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
yes i agree fingy he was not evil or greedy he wanted to use the ring for good. he may have been unwise in the lore of the ring and could you say you would do different in his situation. he was wise on his own turf which were battles
From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orome
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 108
posted      Profile for Orome   Author's Homepage   Email Orome   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow this is a moving topic for me. Boromirs tragic fall wrenched my heart as much as anything in LOTR.
Boromir was truly the noblest of men. His feats of bravery and strength had clearly earned him the respect of all in Gondor.
He wanted the ring for all the right reasons. To beat back the evil of mordor. To restore the might of Gondor and to insure his fathers power. To bring peace to the world.
Argue if you will that he wanted it for his own personal glory. This may have been true for a few greedy minutes. But do not all men lust after certain things. He did however realize his error.
Boromir was certainly no idiot. Elrond warned as did Gandalf. BUT!!! BUT!!! Gandalf was dead(or beleived to be) and where had his wisdom gotten him. Surely if he had the ring he could have dismissed the Balrog with ease.
anyway that is my piece.

------------------
Orome
And Justice For All!!!
(all those who deserve it anyway)

From: Somewhere east of the brandywine | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And well put too. That is exactly how i feel. The only good power in Middle earth that is greeder than Humans are Dwarves. The only reason why Gimli didnt do the same as Boromir was because he knew what wrong it would do after being told.

------------------
Anar caluva tielyanna!

From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
also, Gimli was not directly in need i guess, well, he was...but not so as Minas Tirith.

This message has been edited by Mithrandir on 03-19-2001 at

Balin Lord of Moria
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 332
posted      Profile for Balin Lord of Moria   Author's Homepage   Email Balin Lord of Moria   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Correction my noble lord CORRECTION

THe Dwarf nation was never greedy
other interpreted it as greed but its not
what we suffer from is great pride in our work and an obsession with durability.
Every dwarf want his work to be a shining example of art and usefullness that is why we delve into the ground for gems and precious metals. And it is every craftmans dream that his work will last forever this is the reason why we worked the mines of Moria for the Truesilver that doomed us there. What under the mortal sky is tougher than good Mithrill silver. So do not judge us as greedy or selfish. We just love our crafts and to aid us we need recources.
thank you for the opprotunity to set this little matter strait

------------------
May your beard grow long and your clan prosper
His Lordship
Balin Lord of Moria

From: Shirley,NY,USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
uhhh, yes, they are greedy, what do you think those 7 rings were given to them for? its stated MANY times that the dwarves were greedy. call it what you like, its greeed, nothing wrong with that though =)
Orome
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 108
posted      Profile for Orome   Author's Homepage   Email Orome   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
heh heh heh this is a great discussion...

As to dwarves. I'll agree that many dwarves were greedy. They of course spent their lives mining gold and mithril.
Gimli i believe was of a different color. He proved this more than once but the time that sticks out most clearly were in the woods of lothlorien. his words to the lady galadriel are what i am referring to.

and yes gimli was blessed with more foresight than boromir concerning the ring.

------------------
Orome
And Justice For All!!!
(all those who deserve it anyway)

This message has been edited by Orome on 03-19-2001 at

From: Somewhere east of the brandywine | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glorfindel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 284
posted      Profile for Glorfindel   Email Glorfindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think you already know my view of Boromir form earlyer posts. However, Many of you speak of Boromir as having a weeknes and some even go as far as blaming the destruction of the Fellowship upon him. Well I think that Boromir was of stronger will than many others who might have fallen to the rings grasp. If you remember after the ring took over Boromirs mind he seemed like a different person, but after he attacked Frodo he came back to his senses. This shows that his will mush have been strong. What if the ring had targated another of the company, it may so be that they would not be able to restle their own will back from the ring, Boromir on the other hand did.

Also indeed Dwarvs have been known to be greedy, especailly when concerning the aspect of gold, but i know no other Dwarf as stout as Gimli son of Glóin.

------------------
"It is the Doom of Men that they Forget!"

From: »»»][mladris««« | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
uhhh, the ring doesnt "target" people...thats taking it a little to far. you can't possibly say Boromir was blameless, for he himself said "i have failed"....
Glorfindel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 284
posted      Profile for Glorfindel   Email Glorfindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Orome, I too share youre feeling about Boromir. His death i took as a tragic loss and was deeply saddend by it, if you read some of my earlier posts(if you have not done so already) you will see that i Hold only Deep Regard for the Noble Warrior. However such are the tolls of war.

------------------

From: »»»][mladris««« | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glorfindel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 284
I think that is does, not necesserily as in the word Target, but i believe it got on to Bilbos hand in the exact same way. The ring just happened to lay below Bilbo's hand becuase it wanted it to happen. The ring saw a way to be found, to return to its master, that was through having Bilbo take it. It didnt need Golum anymore because it would never get out of the dark Goblin caves. In the same maner I think the ring responded to Boromir, if Boromir took the ring you know that he would be the first to chalange Sauron and go waging into open combat against him. Well through this the ring saw an opportunity to be brough back to its Master. I believe that in a way it did pick Boromir, cause think about it if it took Aragorn, Sauron would be screwed, if it took Gandalf, once again Sauron is Screwed, Legolas was to wise and even if he took it he wouldnt bring it straight to Saurons hands, Gimli was also wise and would in all likley ness bring it back to the loanly mountain to defent his race, but Boromir understood the ring the least and Was in the Most need, and would directly fight Sauron, as well as not posing as high of a threat as some one like Gandalf or Aragorn would.

------------------

Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

posted      Profile for Tinelwen   Email Tinelwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As for dwarves, I don't think that they are necessarily greedy. It was their nature to mine for gold and mithril because of their maker Aulë just like it was the nature of Hobbits to enjoy gardening. It's sorta the same thing if you think about it. Dwarves took pride in the beautiful things they made from what they found in their mines just like the Hobbits took pride in the things they grew in their gardens. I'm sure there were dwarves that horded those things, but the majority of them just appreciated the things for their beauty. Just because they took pleasure in things like gold and silver doesn't necessarily make them greedy.

And now about Boromir...his lust for the ring came from his desire for power and the belief that the ring could save his city. He was a very noble man, and that in itself was his downfall. In TT, Faramir reveals much of Boromir's character to Frodo, telling him how disappionted he was that his father was not a king. He always wanted to be more powerful than he was, and he wanted the same for his great city. He knew that this ring could give him that power and his city would be the mightiest in Middle Earth. But if it hadn't been for his downfall, Frodo may not have ever gone off all by his lonesome. Also, there is no doubting his bravery as shown with his attempted rescue of the hobbits. He died well, and such bravery could not come from an evil man.

From: neither here nor there | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
a very good point you make there Glorfindel, i commend you. not much i will argue against in that, and Tinelwen, drawves were greedy, but thats just my opinion maybe =)
WonderBroad
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 242
posted      Profile for WonderBroad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Boromir. I just thought this was an appropriate quote (from Faramir):

"Whether he erred or no, of this I am sure: he died well, achieving some good thing. His face was more beautiful even than in life."

Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balin Lord of Moria
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 332
posted      Profile for Balin Lord of Moria   Author's Homepage   Email Balin Lord of Moria   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Your words speak true Tinelwen I thank you for your kind words. You see through the prejudices that hount my people. It proves you are a lord of a wise disposition. If it pleases you, I grant you permission to Carry the Title of Dwarf Friend.

------------------
May your beard grow long and your clan prosper
His Lordship
Balin Lord of Moria

From: Shirley,NY,USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carnefin
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 342
posted      Profile for Carnefin   Email Carnefin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boromir says at the Council of Elrond;
Why do you speak ever of hiding & destroying> Why should we not think that the Great Ring has come into our hands to serve us in the hour of need? Wielding it the Free Lords of the Free may surely defeat the Enemy. That is what he fears most I deem...
...Let the Ring be your weapon, if it has sucj power as you say. Take it and go forth to victory!"

From the outset Boromir believed it was folly to destroy the Ring. After Gandalfs demise in Moria he obviously felt Gandalfs judgement to be in question.
Surely he was just misguided and open to the lure of the Ring. Does this make him evil. Has no one ever thought they were right and everyone else wrong?

From: St Helier, Jersey | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
right, Boromir didnt see the Ring of Power as a dark tool, he saw it as weapon of victory, and thats all, he didn't really grasp the whole concept of it, which is to be expected.
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly mith, he believed power was power he didn't understand (or wish to understand) that a gift of fate such as this could be inherently evil and corrupt.
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goldberry Slinks Back In
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 338
posted      Profile for Goldberry Slinks Back In   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"I personally don't think that Boromir is evil or anything like that. He was greedy, yes. However, I think that was more because of the ring's evil. It is a powerful ring, and it was probably drawing Boromir towards it to cause bad things to happen." ...Thus I wrote March 18, 4:59. I have officially changed my mind. I think he was like a heretic, pretending to be good but inwardly bad. I deleted my previous post.

------------------
O slender as a willow-wand! O clearer than clear water!
O reed by the living pool. Fair river-daughter!
O spring-time and summer-time, and spring again after!
O wind on the waterfall, and the leaves' laughter!
~Frodo, to Goldberry

This message has been edited by Goldberry on 03-29-2001 at

From: United States | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glorfindel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 284
There is not one other sentence that i could disagree with more than the blasphamy which you speak, for which you have given no logic. Boromir was IN NO Way inherantly evil and in no way was he a heratic, by speaking such words you do no justice to a Noble Man of Gondor!

------------------

Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
Goldberry, you know i don't take to kindly to you for your not to slick RP posts...and now and you go post this bullshit? there's not one thing you can say that proves it, not one.
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

That's kinda a mean thing to say about someone who sacrificed his life for people he knew relatively little about. It is not fair to call some one inherently evil because of a moment of weakness, his eyes glinted when he saw the ring origionally because he thought he beheld the salvation of his people

This message has been edited by Fingolfin of the Noldor on 03-28-2001 at

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Lord of the Rings » Boromir, Good or Evil? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help