search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » Fangorn's shift to US
Author Topic: Fangorn's shift to US
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am shifting to California, USA in about a months time for about a year or so.

Alright then, God save America! (from my driving that is [] )

[ 05-11-2007, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you've got nothing on California drivers... []

Here's to a smooth shift! []

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one.

What will you be doing Fangorn?

From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

posted      Profile for Elenár   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Fangorn

So are you emigrating to the US or just going there for a long-ish holiday?

It's been nearly 2 years since our move to the UK. Things have gone bad, but they are going very well now.

Best of luck to you!

From: The glorious UK - for good! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How'd you manage it, Fangorn?

I'm curious, given that my betrothed lives in the US and I do not. I'm working on remedying that (curse the Pacific Ocean, why will you not drain?).

I'd be interested to learn of the approach you took. Any info would be greatly appreciated, Fangorn! []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am shifting to California, USA
Yes, we're awesome....thank you. We've known this for some time. But do enjoy your stay. Where in California, if you don't mind me asking, will you stay?
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
California Welcomes Our Favorite Ent.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to El Dorado, Fangorn!

Welcome to the great nation-State of California!
This Hidden Vale is truly that fabled realm of which
the legends speak and spoke!

Here, you can never die.

As always,

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supra
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5329
posted      Profile for Supra   Email Supra   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Calif?? Niiiceee.

Much warmer than friggin Toronto []

From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Thanks All for the welcome!
Silm - And whole of California Drivers have nothing on our 'Auto Rickshaw' drivers from Bangalore! If you want a exhilirating adventure, visit India to a busy city, and hire a Auto RIckshaw into some busy Road. [] auto rickshaw

WT - Was that a 21 Missile welcome? []

Freya - I am a Chip (The silicon type, not the potato variety) Designer. I will be working at my Customer's location helping designing his latest chip for a duration of about a year.

Elenar - I am surely not Emigrating, and I am not wealthy enough to take a longish holiday!(I hope I was, then I would take a longish holiday in some English Village!). Just a work based deputation.

Elora - Nothing special to manage in that. Our company like many Bangalore based IT related companies, do a lot of business in the US. Once in a while, we will have to execute the project from the Customer's location, when the customer is picky, and wants to observe the work in progress personally. BTW, this is my second visit to California. I was there for a year in 1996-1997.

Lilliana - My working location is Fremont (East Bay), though I might base myself out of Cupertino School district, due to the good schools there. Is anybody here based out of the Sanfransisco Bay area?

Imbear - I too was impressed by California when I first visited there in 1996. I almost dont travel when in INdia, but last time I was there, we used to go out to places like Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Monterey Bay, LA, LV, Grand Canyon(OK last two out of Calfironia) etc etc every other weekend!. I would expect the same this time too, as I have to show all the places I visited last time to my family this time.
And Bay area is almost like a home away from home, with so many Indians, and also so many telugu( my mother tongue) speaking people.
Credit to Calif that a foreigner like me can feel at home. I am sure there are only few other places in the world(once again US, like NJ, Dallas), where I can adapt so easily!

Supra - And from my view, much cooler than Hot India.

Ney - Thank you!

[ 05-11-2007, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I consider Cali a very friendly and non-judgemental place. Most people seem really easy-going...

I love Yosemite...I want to go there again...When I was little I was certain Narnia was hidden away in Yosemite.

Any chance you'll look into Comic Con, or is that not your speed?

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, seriously, I would pick Cupertino over Fremont ANY DAY. Will you be working in or around San Jose? If so, neither one is really closer time-wise. Personal experience says Cupertino is a bit more bike friendly. And Fremont has probably the least personality of any single place in the Bay Area. Plus Cupertino puts you fairly close to the Los Gatos Creek Trail, which is lovely, and it's a very easy drive to Santa Cruz, which is swell pretty much anytime you have the weekend off. Time-wise, I believe it's also a bit closer to the City proper.

Also, Cupertino has 99 Ranch Market!

It's mainly a Chinese chain, but it also has everything I've ever needed to make any kind of Indian food, including fresh-ish pomfret! []

It's super... compared to Fremont. [] It's also the "heart" of Silicon Valley and Apple HQ, but this I'm sure you know. []

[ 05-12-2007, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Adulithien ]

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

quote:
Will you be working in or around San Jose? If so, neither one is really closer time-wise.
No. In Fremont.

quote:
Personal experience says Cupertino is a bit more bike friendly.
I should know! I biked there for about three months before buying my first car. I used it as a transportation mechanism, rather than exercise one... But this time around I will be buying a car straight away.

quote:
And Fremont has probably the least personality of any single place in the Bay Area.
Difficult to understand this.. My favourite organization in US is in Fremont. Good enough personality for me!

quote:

Plus Cupertino puts you fairly close to the Los Gatos Creek Trail, which is lovely, and it's a very easy drive to Santa Cruz, which is swell pretty much anytime you have the weekend off. Time-wise, I believe it's also a bit closer to the City proper.

Now then I dont see much difference between Cupertino and Fremont for these things. Especially since I plan to visit various places like Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Mt. Shastha, LA, LV, etc. Ofcourse nothing beats a drive on 1 from Monterey Bay to Sanfransisco!!

quote:
Dude, seriously, I would pick Cupertino over Fremont ANY DAY.
Adulithien - Looks like I'll end up doing the same, though for entirely different reason - Better Schools for my Kids.
Actually, if this reason was not there, I would chosen Fremont because of cheaper Rents there.

quote:
I love Yosemite...I want to go there again...When I was little I was certain Narnia was hidden away in Yosemite.
Neytari - I like Yosemite a lot too. Last time I was there, I chickened out and didnt do that Half dome (is it what it is called?) trail. ANd now I'll be going with family, and may not be able to do it as well []
I am always surprised by American tenacity (or is it craziness?) when I see people climbing El Capitan!

And I got the best view of SKy from Yosemite, away from all the light pollution!

[ 05-12-2007, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Yup, Half Dome. I hiked up one of the trails in Yosemite once, I don't remember which one. All I remember is it was too hot for me to enjoy it...I'm afraid it wasn't a good experiance. But in more favorable weather I'll someday try again.

The first time I really saw what stars are supposed to look like was on one of the Yosemite trips I took as a little girl...It was amazing, I couldn't stop looking at them.

Gah, now I want to go again!

Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, Cupertino has 99 Ranch Market!

It's mainly a Chinese chain, but it also has everything I've ever needed to make any kind of Indian food, including fresh-ish pomfret!

ZOMG ADDIE!!! I LOVE that Chinese supermarket chain. We had one near my university. ZOMG they had the BEST ramen there and it was 29 cents a pack! [] Oh Ranch 99....how I miss thee... []
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you realize that they don't play cricket in the US
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you realize that they don't play cricket in the US
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

Heavens no, we certainly don't play an insect. How ridiculous. []

[]

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Hamfast - You mean more than 22 Indians can be in the near vicinity, and not play Cricket?
Nah, not possible! We play Cricket, and we hold tournaments as well.

Here : http://bata.org/2007events/cricket/

Not for nothing did BATA become my favourite organization in the Bay Area! []

Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, good Ent! I live in Idaho (north and west of California), but I love California. I visit at least once a year -- will be in Tahoe next weekend on music business and in San Diego this summer with my son at Legoland.

I too love Yosemite, but I prefer Sequoia National Park. You must go there! I lived in the L.A. area for six years and visited Sequoia and Yosemite four times. I've been back to both parks twice since moving to Idaho eleven years ago.

I'll be in the Bay area in April 2008 with my 180 high school choir students. Maybe we can meet for lunch?

From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

quote:
Welcome, good Ent! I live in Idaho (north and west of California), but I love California.
Thank you bombadil! One of my best friends used to live in Boise until recently. He has plans to go there again soon!

quote:
I too love Yosemite, but I prefer Sequoia National Park. You must go there! I lived in the L.A. area for six years and visited Sequoia and Yosemite four times. I've been back to both parks twice since moving to Idaho eleven years ago.
Sequoia! Hmm.. May be I should try it. Typically I get advise from Indians living in the Bay Area to find the best places to visit. For some reason, no one have mentioned Sequoia to me, last time I was there!

quote:

I'll be in the Bay area in April 2008 with my 180 high school choir students. Maybe we can meet for lunch?

It would be Cool!!
Lets do it.

But but but.. without the choir students please! [] Not that I have anything against them.. I have two kids, and I am tired enough with them []

Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I meant "north and east of California." Sorry, I'm on pain medication for a sprained wrist and my brain wanders. The wrist also explains my short and infrequent posts of late.

Of course lunch would be without students! []

From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » Fangorn's shift to US
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help