Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » RIP Boris Yeltsin and Mstislav Rostropovich
Author Topic: RIP Boris Yeltsin and Mstislav Rostropovich
Elanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3219

posted      Profile for Elanor Gamgee   Email Elanor Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This week has seen the death of two major Russian figures: Yeltsin & Rostropovich

Yeltsin seems to have come off better than Gorbachev here in Russia, although they were both instrumental in bringing reform, and both seem to have presided over a good deal of economic hardship.
As for Rostropovich, I have a fond memory of seeing him perform Dvorak's cello concerto many years ago, and then watching him wheel his instrument across the road to his hotel afterwards!

From: Moscow | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rostropovich is dead ?
Nooooo [] []
I admired him...as a former cellist and as a simple musician...
What a man he was...
A GREAT cellist has gone...
*sad for the day*

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have mixed feelings about Yeltsin. Yes, he brought a kind of democracy, but he sold off his country's most precious resources to his cronies who then cashed in their chips and moved abroad with the cash. That can't have been good for the majority of Russians. But, it does mean that Roman Abramovitch has £10 billion with which to purchase London football teams []

[ 04-27-2007, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Freya ]

From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They have both conducted orchestras, too, although one of them seems to have had rather more success than the other.
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You mean, it's unwise to conduct orchestras after 15 pints of cheap German beer?
From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, all the boozin' finally got to good ol' Yeltsin. [] My mom and I heard the news on Russian TV the other day and were thoroughly shocked. I'm not sad, pers say, but it's kind of... odd to lose him. He was still such a public figure for us.
-Keo

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am sad we have lost Rostropovich. He was such a fantastic cellist, and a fabulous conductor, by my opinion. I have enjoyed his work so much!
Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll miss Yeltsin... he made life interesting to say the least. Never a dull moment with Boris "Party Boy" Yeltsin!

He danced... he sang... he drank!

He made Bubba laugh!

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. And here I thought ol' Boris died years ago... Still, even with his lifestyle he managed to surpass the average life expectancy in Russia by around 10 years -- almost 20 years for men (!) []
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Silmah []
How was the marriage ?

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Did he get Clinton boozed up for that second one? []

Those are hilarious, Thingy! [] [] []

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How was the marriage ?
So far so good! []
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » RIP Boris Yeltsin and Mstislav Rostropovich
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help