Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » Anti-Snobbery Movement (Page 1)
Author Topic: Anti-Snobbery Movement
Luke
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5836
posted      Profile for Luke   Author's Homepage   Email Luke   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When faced with the fact that a message board disigned for mutual enjoyment has turned into a dangerous minefield where "intellectual" punks lerk, massacreing innocent victums with their verbally insulting weapons they call their brains, you wonder if its too late to escape with your life without them turning you into swiss cheese. The "felony" of which all COMMON posters, you and me, are held guilty by these individuals is that we are inclined to slip up when spelling a certain word, or are a little too generous with our imaginations. The penalty for such minor infractions is for the nearest Snob in the area (usually the one reading the slightly obtuse post) to lay down heavy suppressive fire on this COMMON poster until they run out of the thread with gapping wounds, or their own thread bleeds to death and is forgotten. Little does a Snob know that he/she doesn't need reinforcements (other Snobs) to bring someone's inspiration thermometer down to zero. But it sure helps for them to work in doubles, laboring as a team to quickly knit together a net of snobbery and prod the "small-minded" or abstract-oppinioned poster into it with their hot pokers and red horns.

Using their new-age Scwasticas (Its a hard word to spell), such as [] and [] they police threads like a pack of disfunctional sign makers.

When criticizm becomes a way to lift your status infront of everybody, who has the unfullfilled craving for attention now? At least when people are creative or have a good, non-insulting point in their writting they attract the right kinds of attention. You see, creative posters don't need to be overly critical in order to function.

A snob's looming eyebrows of dis-approval today point to a holocost of criticizm tomarrow. And these particular critics are not merely critiquing something harmless to analyze: like the whereabouts of the Ent Wifes (I like this). Instead they are stealthfully and purposefully trying to bring a poster down.

A word to all the Snobs reading this: if you didn't think this day was comming, than you've misjudged the enduring nature of the human spirit against an attitude of collective stuffiness.

For all the non-Snobs, and I know there are alot of us: I'm not putting you on either side of this, but there comes a time when enough critic monkey poop has been flung that you start to notice that its been hitting you and you didn't move out of the way.

If you are reading this and have a grievance against me, than lets work it out.

From: Granada Hills, Ca. | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you wonder if its too late to escape with your life without them turning you into swiss cheese.
Hey ! Swiss cheese can be very good, you snobish guy []

quote:
A word to all the Snobs reading this: if you didn't think this day was comming, than you've misjudged the enduring nature of the human spirit against an attitude of collective stuffiness.
Oh no ! Doom is upon us !! this is the Luke's Prophecy of the North !!! []

[ 04-25-2007, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Eluchil ]

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luke
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5836
posted      Profile for Luke   Author's Homepage   Email Luke   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My only warning to Snoby critics is: If you can't chew what you've bitten off, than you shouldn't have been bitting posters.

What are those! Fake teeth? []

[ 04-25-2007, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Luke ]

From: Granada Hills, Ca. | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My only warning to spammers - being they ninja or not - have a nice life []
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
People can be brutal here, as anywhere. Nevertheless, I believe a problem lies in that you haven't quite figured out how MT works....no offense intended, but I wouldn't call you a "common" poster. In this internet community, the common poster is still the type of person that looks up the spelling of a word if he is unsure. Not a person that randomly makes a topic about how totally awesome ninjas are and how all the snobs are throwing monkey poop...there's simply a general sort etiquette here. Perhaps we overreact, but I must say you and only a few others make me have to read posts multiple times in order to understand them (if I do).

Sorry if I sound rude. These are only my observations/opinions. []

Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luke
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5836
(quote) Sorry if I sound rude. These are only my observations/opinions. (end quote)

Thats alright Anoren, because unlike a couple of people here at MT, I don't take you as a simple-minded snob.

(quote) Nevertheless, I believe a problem lies in that you haven't quite figured out how MT works....no offense intended, but I wouldn't call you a "common" poster. (end quote)

I'm not refering to the vast majority of people in MT when I truthfully point out that a small fraction of them are unarguably Snobs. There is a Common poster method of MT called Common-Courtesy, and that is what I meant when using the word "Common." There are several of them, out of which are many people whom I have "figured out" how to communicate with in an understandable way. I've also "figured out" the way MT works well enough to understand that contributing your veiw on something is usually all that's required.

(quote) Perhaps we overreact, but I must say you and only a few others make me have to read posts multiple times in order to understand them (end quote)

Just because some things that I post take more than one reading to grasp, doesn't make them wrong to post. I don't know where people get the idea that they are.

(quote) Not a person that randomly makes a topic about how totally awesome ninjas are and how all the snobs are throwing monkey poop (end quote)

First of all, my thread entitled: Ninjas Ninjas Ninjas, and this one in which I mentioned monkey poop are two different threads. If they were in the same title together I can understand how that would be random.
Secondly, when you create a topic it is never "random" but says in the title what the thread is about. When you see a thread that says nothing but "Ninjas" three times, it isn't that hard to know what its about, thus it is not random mishmash. It may be "random" as a thread idea, but so is one that says: Cats in Ur Stuff Doing Things. Now don't get me wrong, I like that thread, but is it called random and off-the-wall? Nope, but it is. And additionally, do you see it getting as much flak as, lets see...ALL of mine do?
Thirdly, if you thought it was "random" that I created a topic about the Snobs at MT, I would ask you where you've been.

No offense meant against you, and I appreciate your genuine, honest criticism of what you think is going on, but I think you might be a little bit off on these observations.

[ 04-25-2007, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Luke ]

Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not going to check your PMs, I'd like to know where you get off calling other people uppity. [] []
From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
She's right, Luke. I agree with a lot of the things you say, but if somebody wants to pm you, then be man enough to face them privately. Or is everybody right about you after all, and all you want to do is get attention? Are you really just full of bullsheet?

[ 04-25-2007, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Snow Wizard ]

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luke
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5836
I just responded to that PM about five minutes ago, so you can take your Bullsheet back to wherever it is you got it from Snow Wizard. I mean this in the best way possible. []

[ 04-25-2007, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Luke ]

Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, get modern, buddy, because you've got a new and improved PM! []
From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luke
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5836
yeeeeeeeh, okay.
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You are a troll and a bad one at that. Some of the time you're amusing but most of the time it's rather boring and tiresome. But that's just one man's opinion.
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luke
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5836
Maybe tiresome for me because I was waiting for you to be Ninjaey and inventive with the lingo of that particular genre in the first Ninja thread, but it just never happened.

P.s. - if you want amusement you can threaten a real Ninja.

[ 04-25-2007, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Luke ]

Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates are superior. The sooner you accept that the better.
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, most of your post is arguing opinions and I find that pointless.

quote:
It may be "random" as a thread idea, but so is one that says: Cats in Ur Stuff Doing Things. Now don't get me wrong, I like that thread, but is it called random and off-the-wall? Nope, but it is. And additionally, do you see it getting as much flak as, lets see...ALL of mine do?
As for that....yeah, right or wrong, that's the way it is. Using your example, that thread was created by Maha. He has been here a very long time, and has created a wonderful reputation for himself, etc. You haven't even been posting here for six months. For you to come here and in a way demand that all your threads are humorous and for us to all play along, and then to draw even more attention to yourself by dramatically accusing people of being snobs...well, I just don't see why you expect people to warm to you. All this is simply silly.

But, I'm out, off to read or something.

Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luke
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5836
Pirates are slow and drunk. They couldn't see their own feet, let alone a Ninja who was standing two inches infront of them and dancing disco.
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

I think the point that Anoren is making is that creating a thread solely for ninja talk is fine and good. I created the Cats thread for random pictures of cats (and eventually other various and sundry animals) doing things. You, however, are taking your ninja schtick to every thread you post in and some people find that annoying.

Curb your enthusiasm.

Luke
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5836
That's some pretty consentrated slander Anoren, but it means nothing because I never claimed that ALL OF MY THREADS ARE HUMOROUS (is this one? maybe thats a trick question).

And as for your other accusation, its obvious that you misunderstood me. I'm only accusing SOME people of being snobs--which they are.

Also: I think nothing bad against Maha or his thread, although he seems to think something really bad about me. And six months is enough time to start a topic, don't you think? Here's where I'm going with this...when I came here I started the Non-Drink Pub and wasn't even given a chance to serve drinks when I was shot down. This was excusable, as it was my first offense and the content to the thread was, sad to say, a bit--interesting. How would that set the tone of MT for you?

Elanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3219

posted      Profile for Elanor Gamgee   Email Elanor Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If it's snobbish to find a post more difficult to follow than one of my EFL student's essays, then I'm afraid I'm a snob. I get paid to try and decipher appalling English, I don't particularly want to do it in my free time as well.
If it's snobbish to be annoyed at finding interesting threads jammed with irrelevant nonsense about ninjas (or whatever) then I'm afraid that in that respect too I'm a snob.
If it's snobbish to read a post full of gobbledegook that also has the nerve to claim that the poster is intellectually superior and give a big sigh, then I'm afraid I'm a snob. *Hint* You're not intellectually superior simply because people can't understand you.

From: Moscow | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Luke, search your feelings, Luke. Use the force!
From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Swastikas and holocausts. Minefields and massacres. Hot pokers and gaping wounds. And, to cap it all, looming eyebrows and stuffy attitudes. (No doubt the snobs will accuse me of hyperbole.) If that's what this messageboard has become then I don't know why I come here. Minas Tirith, eh? Pits of Utumno would be more like it. Which one of you bullies is Melkor in disguise?

Now listen up, snobby punks: you're not going to get Glóin the Dark with either your heavy suppressive fire of monkey poop or your inadequate dentures. Those organs you call your brains are useless against me, because my inspiration thermometer goes up to eleven.

How do you like them apples? []

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

Why not just make ten higher and have it just go to ten?
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

Mine goes to eleven...

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Being anti-spam is not the same as being a snob.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can I be a snobby pirate? Does that mean my eye-patch is made of velvet, and my wooden leg is mahogany?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"No harm in him; only needs a smack or so." ~ C.S. Lewis on Tolkien, 1926.
"Smirking Slytherin style is stunningly superior of you." - My Platymum, Braeden Fireheart
Don't speak Latin in front of the Franciscans
20 Years of Snark and still goin' strong! - Lillianna, aka Dolphinaunt

My name is Miranthridel. Mi-ran-thri-del. No "Mith" involved.

From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » Anti-Snobbery Movement (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help