Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » If you like books!...
Author Topic: If you like books!...
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This was inspired by the what are you reading thread.

I know there are a lot of people on this forum who like to read, and there's a really cool website I just discovered recently called GoodReads.com. You can post what you're reading currently, every book you've ever read and even make a list of things you want to remember to read soon. You can rate and review them, too. Whenever your friends post new stuff, you get it as an update. I'm currently reading a couple of books based on recommendations from others on the site.

It's kind of like MySpace for bookworms, without the out-of-control profiles. []

The best part is the "compare" function. When you're looking at a person's profile, you can compare how similar your tastes are based on the number of books you have in common; that way, you have a better idea of whether or not you'd trust a review by that user.

Check it out! It's free to join and the only thing you have to do to be a member is enjoy reading!

[ 04-06-2007, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Adulithien ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
No fighting in this thread-- take it outside!
All your insights are appreciated here

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, though I'm already a member at LibraryThing.com. []

This is my library catalogue (so far): http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=Narindo []

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How can LibraryThing be any good if you can only post 200 books in the free version? Even your average todler has more books on his shelves!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
GoodReads will let you post thousands! And if you're particularly overachieveing, GoodReads will grant you librabrian status; All you need do is ask. This assumes that you're into checking ISBN's for accuracy, uploading photos of books with not-yet-pictured covers, etc. You can do what you want, too, they don't assign you work. It's neat. []
From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How can LibraryThing be any good if you can only post 200 books in the free version? Even your average todler has more books on his shelves!
*must be less than the average toddler* []

Eh, I'm selective... Our household library has more than 200 books, but my own personal library only has about eighty. []

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*counting*

24 books. Most adequate indeed []

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Glorfindel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3110

posted      Profile for Lord Glorfindel   Author's Homepage   Email Lord Glorfindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, 200? I might just make that if I included all my kiddie books and school books...but lets face it, when am I ever going to read either of those?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Official God Father Of Lentil
"LG for PM!!!" - CloudStrife
"LG = Lifes Good = Lifes Glorfindel" - Cloudstife (él es mi amigo!)
"LG, you're evil. Just plain evil" - Aermir
"I REALLY must get around to terminating your account LG!" -Wetwang
"You mad blighter" - Gloin the Dark

From: I grew up in Europe, where History is from. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My personal library is up to 261, and that's just the books of mine I've actually been able to find and put in bookshelves. [] And that's also not including comic book trade paperbacks, which would put my total up to 302. []

EDIT: Clicked on the wrong message icon. []

[ 04-07-2007, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have...probably more than 200 books as well. Then there's all the books I've read and loved but haven't got around to buying yet...

Anyway. Start of my catalog:

http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=Aika

*looks at books she has in common with Brae*
*is not entirely surprised* []

[ 04-07-2007, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: Aikanáro ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Vanima i metta nauva, nan anda ar sarda nauva i mallë.

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

quote:
*looks at books she has in common with Brae*
*is not entirely surprised*

*sees one particular book on Aika's list* []
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » If you like books!...
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help