Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » 300 Versus 70 Million Iranians (Page 4)
Author Topic: 300 Versus 70 Million Iranians
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What part was that, Maha?
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not really a cinematic masterpiece, but not really the worst movie ever, either.
Perhaps. I just fear where this blending of history and fantasy may lead... []

-

[ 04-13-2007, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Éoric of the Riddermark ]

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps. I just fear where this blending of history and fantasy may lead...
Um. But people have always been doing that. The Greeks and all their epic tales....the transfer of oral tradition from one generation to the next leads to changing details (though slight), exaggerations, and the like. Basically, most of those literary masterpieces (*cough*Virgil*cough*), while literary had original historic points underneath that poetic retelling, did they not?

Ample uses of propoganda to feed nationalism, back in the day.

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Shakespeare never bothered much about changing facts to suit his plays. Agincourt for example was not won thanks to a stirling speech from Henry V but rather from the use of Archers against the french knights who don't even get a mention in the play. But that doesn't seem to bother anyone much. However 1066 happens to be one of my favorite historical stories, so I hope they don't hachet it too much. It also does not have any traditional good or bad guys in the same way as for example the 300 have. A patriotic Englishman or American could have sympathies with Harold or William depending on their point of view. I know who my sympathies lie with, but that's another matter.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Actually, I am now feeling a lot better about things, in general.

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you watch Kenneth Branaugh's version of Henry V, you really do get the idea that the battle was won by archers (and by the muddy battle-field that confounded the French knights).

Essentially, you see the English make a great sacrifice of hauling wagons and wagons full of arrows - and, then, when the battle begins, you see how important those wagons are.

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

Imbear, I hear that version of Henry V is excellent, but I have yet to see it.

But as for historical acuracy, Shakespeare of course liked to drama-it-up, especially when a certain Tutor queen (Elizabeth I, a descendant of the Lancasters) was hounding over his shoulder. Therefore, the "evil" House of York Richard III was protrayed as the slimey, depraved villain when he probably was no worse than anyone else.

Great villain, though.

[ 04-16-2007, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Lillianna ]

Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*TuDor*cough*

[ 04-17-2007, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think that was mostly due to Kenneth Brannagh's clever interpretation rather than anything which Shakespeare said. Although the funny thing is that it might have been closer to what actually happened than Shakespeare's text. The other odd thing is that I saw reviews at the time the Kenneth Brannagh's film was released, and many people said they didn't like it in comparison to Laurance Olivier's Henry V. These are also the same people who criticize other modern films when they are historically accurate. Just goes to show that many critics do like to have their cake and eat it.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I saw reviews at the time the Kenneth Brannagh's film was released, and many people said they didn't like it in comparison to Laurance Olivier's Henry V.
Could it be partly because of their style of acting as well?
I'd try to describe one difference to be that Olivier acts to the back row of the audience (even in a movie) while Branagh acts to the camera close up lens. It gives Branagh so much greater freedom. But perhaps it doesn't look as magnificent to those who are used to Olivier's style.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I have to say that I did see, about a year ago, a very good production of Henry V on the stage in London. He didn't come across as very nice.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » 300 Versus 70 Million Iranians (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help