Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » 300 Versus 70 Million Iranians (Page 3)
Author Topic: 300 Versus 70 Million Iranians
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Of course the flim's historical content is wrong. It's a ficticious version based on a historical event. Artistic liberty, etc.
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not criticizing the movie for historical inaccuracy; I understand that it's a Hollywood movie based on a comic book. I'm asking what the alleged inaccuracy is. Specifically, I'm asking what was meant by the statement that the "outcomes" are wrongly depicted. Did Greece not really defeat Persian at Plataea? (sp?)

E: []

[ 03-19-2007, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, Maha, no kidding? []

The AP reports:

quote:
'300' Conquers Box Office for a 2nd Week
Sunday March 18 10:12 PM ET

Spartans continued to fend off the box-office competition as the battle epic "300" took the No. 1 spot for the second-straight weekend with $31.2 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The Warner Bros. movie, the story of vastly outnumbered Spartans defending against Persian invaders, shot past the $100 million mark after just a week in theaters, bringing its total to $127.5 million.

[ 03-19-2007, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Snow Wizard ]

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And I wasn't really speaking to your views, WT, I was pointing out the obvious in reference to the silly Iranian journalist.
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well you said "of course it's not accurate" in response to his claim, so does that mean you know what he was referring to? If so, can you fill me in?
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

I was just referring to the movie as a whole.
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh everyone should stop whining. It was a GOOD movie. And I mean GOOD. Your eyes bug out at the glorious effects and battle scenes....it was like...a visual orgasm. No joke.

And it's SO over exaggerated....omg like Xerxes....geez....of COURSE it's exaggerated. It's based off a comic book. And I actually liked how it had the fantasy element to it.

It was just a gorgeous film, all around. Soooooooo good!

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your eyes bug out at the glorious effects and battle scenes....
...and the pretty naked people with swords. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well, yeah they are ripped, for sure. But honestly, I was more in awe of the camera angles and speeds. []
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...and the pretty naked people with swords. []
[]

Oh, and great way to put it, Lilli. []

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angathas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1319
posted      Profile for Angathas   Author's Homepage   Email Angathas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There are many bootleg copies of The "300" being sold in Tehran. Let's assume the people buying them love movies first, and controversy second. They want to see a film that their Islamo-fascist country would never make. As for their anger, it seems to be more about how the Persians are portrayed: monstrous, piercings, slave girls, deformed slaves, etc. Leonidas was right. Who wants to be a part that type of empire?

As for the Iranians, I can't see why they want to get upset. The people of Iran today may not technically all be descended from actual Persians. There have been 2,500 years of inter-marrying with other groups. The influence of the Moslem religion has added to this, as well as the Persian Jews known from Esther story (origin of Purim). They should not get so worked up over something that happened more than two millennia ago. They should concentrate on their lives and trying to get that tyrant Ahmidanijad out of power. He hurts Iranians more than any Hollywood film could.

[ 03-20-2007, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Angathas ]

From: Staten Island, New York 10306 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is hardly the first time...

To be fair to the Iranians, I remember the outrage that was caused by U571 when it came out in this country. Of course, 300 is based on a comic book and is specifically presented as not accurate, whereas U571 was presented as historical fact, but perhaps the Iranians aren't aware of the comic book or of the fantasy element of comic books.
[]

[ 03-23-2007, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

quote:
"In his 1927 epic Napoleon, director Abel Gance showed his hero at the Club des Cordeliers when the Marseillaise was first sung. He was informed that Napoleon had not been present. 'He is now,' he said."

Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Odd bump, I know, but...

quote:
I often think that the events of 1066 would make a supurb film for Hollywood, I mean the Historical implecations, the drama of the occasion, the differenting opinions, which side would you be on etc, but for some strange reason, Hollywood has never made a film out of it.
1066 the Movie

I'm a little afraid, given what little I can tell about the movie from the website (like helmets pictured that are anywhere from 1 to 4 centuries out of date).

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose I should have paid attention to the phrase 'be careful what you wish for because you might get it', because now that I look at it I am a little nervous about what might be in this movie. Given Hollywood's record of historical innacuracies in films eg Braveheart I am now wondering about just exactly what they will do with this tale. I suppose that one can hope that it will be reasonable.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Actually, I am now feeling a lot better about things, in general.

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't bank on "reasonable." Who knows, maybe the Englisc will be portrayed like the Norse were in the recently released Pathfinder, with orc-like armour, huge downcurving horns on their helmets, and insatiable bloodlust. My understanding is that was the general portrayal of the Anglo-Saxons in a recent "King Arthur" movie (can't remember which one). []
From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

But I thought the motto of my Viking ancestors was, "Rape today: pillage tomorrow!" That's not right??

Or, "A rape a day, keeps the Herpes away!"

They didn't actually have feelings, did they?

[ 04-13-2007, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Lillianna ]

Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"It takes a village to raise a child...but a Viking to raze a village."

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My understanding is that was the general portrayal of the Anglo-Saxons in a recent "King Arthur" movie (can't remember which one).
Could it have been the one called, um...King Arthur? []
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

No, that was the PBS animated special about Arthur the Aardvark.
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

Éomer> I think so. Is that the one with the ridiculous woad-clad Keira Knightly as well? If so, that's the film, and I haven't seen it. []
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, that's the one. It's okay (the Director's Cut, anyway). Not really a cinematic masterpiece, but not really the worst movie ever, either.
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

Yeah that didn't look good.

go see Children of Men instead. Totally unrelated, but a breathtaking film (and I daresay a better choice for Clive Owen) nevertheless.

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

That was a great movie!
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

Yes it was, and it has MUSE in the soundtrack!
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » 300 Versus 70 Million Iranians (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help