Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  22  23  24 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » Hillary Clinton to run for Prez (Page 3)
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton to run for Prez
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could write a book on the real Hillary . . .
Too late -- others already have. Some of the greatest fiction ever told.
From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faramir Ranger Captain
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5537
posted      Profile for Faramir Ranger Captain   Email Faramir Ranger Captain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll admit I never saw documented proof that Obama was a muslim, but I heard it for about four hours straight on the radio the other day, with no uncertainty, and my mom heard the same thing, so... But attending a church doesn't really proove a thing. Attending a cover church is a common practice for politicians, celebrities, athletes, and any other public figures. Cover churches/religions were especially used, with much documented evidence, in the military, by officers trying every method to get an edge on promotion, even those known to be stone athiest. I believe Episcopal was the common favorite.

And Wiki, you're absolutely right, there is SO much dirt on Hillary Clinton floating around out there, I'm amazed she gets out of bed in the morning. And please, if anyone else heard anything else on Obama's religious persuasion, let us know. Not that it matters to me, but I think it will affect his chances of being elected. And it will definitely come out in the primaries.

From: california | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
farirmir: what part of this post didn't you understand? Barack states on his own website that attends a Christian church.
quote:
Attending a cover church is a common practice for politicians, celebrities, athletes, and any other public figures.
Feel free to furnish evidence proving this is "common practice".

And BTW, if you intended to model your username after the Tolkien character, do you know you mispelled Faramir? []

[ 01-23-2007, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faramir Ranger Captain
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5537
posted      Profile for Faramir Ranger Captain   Email Faramir Ranger Captain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, Sil. About my name, yes, I accidentally misspelled it when I registered. And believe me, you are NOT the first person to tell me that. [] I just never actually got around to changing it, but I have now done so, so, thank you. But hey, what's in a name? []

Back to topic, I only stated that I had heard in no uncertain terms from a reliable source that Obama was in fact a muslim. I then went on to tell why I thought that an article declaring that he attended a church didn't prove much. If you don't agree, I'm fine with that. But I'm not providing an argument, only something I heard that I would really like to find more solid information on. Once again, his religion doesn't matter to me personally, but I'm really confused by these huge difference in statements.

And you've never heard of cover churches being used by public figures? [] Come on.

From: california | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: The Obama religion question has made Snopes!

Faramir: I've heard it said that Obama is a Muslim too, but I'll believe him if he says he's a Christian. That's between him and God and really none of my business. I'm much more concerned about how he wants to handle the war than his religious persuasions. In the end, it doesn't really matter. Recall that Jimmy Carter is also a Christian.

As for how the rumor started in the first place, could be because his middle name is (reportedly) Hussein?

Has anyone read the Hillary biography "Re-Writing History"? I haven't bothered, but if people say it's good I'll check it out. I expect Bombadil either hasn't read it and thinks it's tripe or has read it and thinks it's tripe []

[ 01-24-2007, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I see theocracies are alive and well... []
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Recall that Jimmy Carter is also a Christian.
[]

I recall that GWB is a Christian, who says God told him to invade Iraq. Which led George McGovern to propose that Bush be asked an "impertinent question": If God asked you to invade Iraq, why did he send the opposite message to the Pope? []

It should be a great couple of years for CNN, Fox News and the dittoheads, with Hillary Clinton and Obama in the race. And entertaining for the rest of us. CNN has already made an "Osama/Obama" typo; at some point I expect Fox News to refer to him as Barack Osama Saddam Hussein bin Hitlertrumpgibson.
[]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Barack Osama Saddam Hussein bin Hitlertrumpgibson
[] That's his real name....

(P.S. Gibson?)

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
at some point I expect Fox News to refer to him as Barack Osama Saddam Hussein bin Hitlertrumpgibson.

This would be funnier if wasn't so probable... []

As for the Hillary question... for once, I agree with Neyatri-( [] ) Hillary is too divisive/polarizing. So is Obama. I wouldn't mind either of them as president. Heck, at this point I wouldn't mind a chimpanzee instead of Bush. But I don't want either of them getting the nomination... if either of them get it, the Democrats will lose their current across the board support. I may be supporting Edwards. Though if the Republicans nominate a moderate, as it looks like they will, I may vote Republican. []

quote:
(P.S. Gibson?)
As in Mel Gibson...

[ 01-24-2007, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhh. []

*votes in the Swedish elections*
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Republican primaries produce a "moderate"? I'll believe that when I see it. []
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... a recent Newsweek article listed many of the possible front runners as moderates. I'll see if I can find it... hopefully I haven't thrown it out yet.

[ 01-24-2007, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Giuliani maybe? I suppose anything's possible, but like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. The Republican primary is set up so it's virtually impossible for a moderate to win.
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

I can't find it...

Guiliani was definitely on the list, as well as McCain... then some names I really didn't recognize. But the gist, IIRC, was that they were mainly moderates.

[ 01-24-2007, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thingol:
quote:
Hillary is too divisive/polarizing. So is Obama.
Not sure I understand you. [] I don't see him as divisive. Then again, I don't pay that much attention to what he says, or the media coverage surrounding him. To me, he's a political curiosity.

And I think I recall that Newsweek article you mentioned. It was from December I believe, and it listed potential moderates from both parties. Giuliani was on it. Not sure about McCain, though.

WT:
quote:
The Republican primary is set up so it's virtually impossible for a moderate to win.
Primaries are essentially for the hardcore of both parties. Moderates tend to stay away from primary voting, leaving the process to be run by the more hardline members.

Look at Lieberman losing to Ned Lamont in the CT senatorial primary. Lamont's drum-beating over Lieberman's support for the Iraq war (and by extension, pro-Bush sympathies) allowed him to secure support from his party's diehards -- only to get trounced in the general election.

I will say that the Dems have recently sought to put moderates in major races (I consider Kerry to be one, but not Gore) as a tactical move to sway fence-sitters and independent voters. It's also why Howard Dean's primary run in 2004 was a failure -- no way the party was going to let him win the nomination.

Same might hold true for Hillary. The Democratic leadership could very well decide that if she were to become the party's candidate for President, it will galvanize opposition to the Dems taking the White House. She has the name recognition, and the war chest, but her biggest challenge will be trying to convince her party leaders that she's electable in November 2008.

[ 01-24-2007, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

quote:
Not sure I understand you. I don't see him as divisive. Then again, I don't pay that much attention to what he says, or the media coverage surrounding him. To me, he's a political curiosity.

I don't mean that his policies or politics are divisive, I mean he is himself... both because of his skin color and his inexperience. Though perhaps divisive is the wrong word. Polarizing is perhaps better? Hillary is worse... a woman and Bill Clintons(a.k.a. Satan to some) wife. []

Then again... maybe I'm being pessimistic and should give the US the benefit of the doubt. Is the US able to vote in a female or an African American president?

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've always said that the first African-American President will be a conservative. It's unfortunate that this guy is too smart: he doesn't want the job. []
 -

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I expect Bombadil either hasn't read it and thinks it's tripe or has read it and thinks it's tripe.
Actually, I've never even heard of it -- until now. Is this book you speak of the source of Wiki's ridiculous allegations?

Faramir, who is your reliable source? Why do you consider this source reliable? In my experience, talk radio personalities and biased political commentators are hardly reliable.

[ 01-25-2007, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: bombadil ]

From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thangail
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1292

posted      Profile for Thangail   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand the visceral hatred of Hilary. Her portrayal (over here at least) seems that she is ok.
From: Capital City | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Fox "News" recently televised a report that Obama was educated in a madrassa (sp?) as a child in Jakarta. The Moonie Times ran the story also, I believe.

In a rare display of actual journalism, CNN looked into this story and debunked it.

Obama's response is here.

Kalkin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1029

posted      Profile for Kalkin   Email Kalkin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Faramir, who is your reliable source? Why do you consider this source reliable? In my experience, talk radio personalities and biased political commentators are hardly reliable.

Bombers I guarantee he doesn't have one......reliable, that is. It's just another smear by the GOP - oafish, even by their standards - which has been neatly debunked by local and national news.
From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Or in other words - what Kalkin said.

E: Rewriting History is by Dick Morris. []

Based on this this fact-checking job, it appears that the title is unintentionally ironic.

[ 01-25-2007, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof -- and neither WiKi nor Faramir (either spelling) nor Morris have offered anything extraordinary regarding Hillary or Obama.

There's as much proof to these allegations as there is proof that the Republicans stole the 2004 presidential election. Which is to say, none.

Leave the witch hunts for the supermarket tabloids and the Washington Times and Rupert Murdoch, folks.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Regarding the 2004 election: no proof, but plenty of evidence.

Seriously, bombadil, you should read that article (if you haven't already).

LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't understand the visceral hatred of Hilary. Her portrayal (over here at least) seems that she is ok.
That's hardly surprising. The media, in general, love Hillary, so of course they portray her favorably.
I don't participate in visceral hatred of Hillary, but I'm on the opposite side of the floor politically. What I can't stand is the fact that there are people who would vote for her just because she's a woman, regardless of her stand on issues, for the advancement of feminism. Trouble is, Hillary's not a feminist; she's a feminazi.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » Hillary Clinton to run for Prez (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  22  23  24 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help