Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  22  23  24 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » Hillary Clinton to run for Prez (Page 1)
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton to run for Prez
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary says, "Im in."

If it's between her and McCain in 2008, I'm definitely voting Libertarian again.

[ 01-21-2007, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What Libertarian candidate did you vote for last time?
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Two years ago, I was telling people: "If it's between Hillary and McCain in 2008, I'm moving to Australia."
Please, no. No, no, no, no, no.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*clutches Lyra* I'll follow you.

I don't think McCain will make it through the primaries, though *crosses fingers*. He's not conservative enough for a nation that voted in a bunch of moderate Democrats last Nov. *keeps fingers crossed. Tapes fingers together in crossed position*

Someone in my math class said that Jeb Bush is also running. I told him that was balony, and several other people chimed in that he was right []

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This will be good.. now that she is "in", she may have to answer hard questions. Anybody see the opening of Saturday Night Live last night? []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WT: I voted for Michael Badnarik in 2004 (and for libertarian candidates in 1992 and 96). For local/midterm elections (like in 2006) I usually vote Republican. And in my district GOP votes amount to about 10% of the total. []

Snowdog: I didn't catch it. Tried to see if someone posted it on youtube, but no luck. Basicially, I've given up on finding anything funny on SNL anymore -- it's just not worth sitting through week after week hoping for something that will at least make me crack a smile. "Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" are miles ahead of SNL.

Ney:
quote:
He's not conservative enough for a nation that voted in a bunch of moderate Democrats last Nov.
That's not really true. McCain is as conservative as any GOP gauleiter these days. It's just that he is such an unlikeable person and a hothead that he doesn't even get along with members of his own party. So to outsiders, he appears more "independent."

e: I think I found the SNL stuff here: http://www.exposetheleft.com/2006/01/22/andersoncoopersnl

http://thepoliticalteen.com/video/andersoncoopersnl.wmv
http://thepoliticalteen.com/video/andersoncoopersnl.mp4

[ 01-21-2007, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'll be really critical, but at the same time I'm really excited that she's running. She's a strong, intelligent woman, if she wins the election I'll be happy!
-Keo

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. WHY GOD WHY!?

I don't think she's half as good as manipulating people as her husband was. I don't think she'll get it...(actually I'm hoping...but Obama is really inexperienced so....fudge).

Of all the women to be president first, why HER as a possibility? *bangs head on desk*

I'm gonna eat some jello now.

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I'm moving to Canada (at least for a while before the storm hits).
From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some think she was the one doing the manipulating behind the scenes, Lills.

I don't think she'll win, though. She's too polarizing. Obama's too inexperianced.

[ 01-22-2007, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there'll be another election in the US anytime soon. Some nukeler emergency will occur, and 'The Decider' will once again abrogate the US constitution and make hisself 'Decider-For-Life.'

May God help us all.

Personally, I don't think Hillary will get the nomination. And if Jeb gets the Republican nomination, well, that will prove that Amerika has become a quasi-feudal society.

Whatever happens, kids are still gonna die out in some Godforsaken land for nebulous reasons, the American population will continue to sit on their fat, bloated butts in front of their TVs, Gameboys, Computers, scoffing down supersized McFood, shopping at Walmart, while their country is stolen from them, and their jobs outsourced to Asia.

Have a happy McDay, and remember: if voting could actually change anything, it would be outlawed!

[]

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She's a strong, intelligent woman, if she wins the election I'll be happy!
-Keo

You made me spit my tea all over the screen. You really believe that? She can't handle the variables. Everything has to be scripted or she loses it. The 2006 Senate debate showed that.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If Hilary's electon bothers you, I don't recommend moving to Australia. We follow such things far too closely for my taste. It will be no escape. []
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh she'll win the nomination.
I think it might be a good time to move to Ireland []

From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it might be a good time to move to Ireland
[]
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A long profile of HRC, focusing on the development of her political skills since the 1993 health care debacle, recently appeared in The Atlantic.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is ALWAYS a good time to move to Ireland. []

I am guessing a relative unknown will win in 2008, much like Bill Clinton was a relative unknown in 1992. None of the "knowns" are popular enough; they all have major negatives that will hurt them. Some guy with charisma and charm will come along and win the nomination for one of the parties, it really doesn't matter which.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

I just looked up gauleiter. []

Bad bad Mak. [] []

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] [] I guess Oberstgruppenführer would have been too obvious.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a fairly inflammatory word, as well. And I didn't need to look it up; I remember Herr Detweiler from The Sound of Music.
[]
Elora, hearing about the election wouldn't bother me at all; going to the polls on election day and being faced with that choice would be the problem.
[]
Keo, I'm with Snowdog on this one.
[]
Thank you, Olorin, for exemplifying the European-hate-America conspiracy-theorist attitude.
[]
I hope the DPR is right. That would be a relief.

[ 01-22-2007, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: LyraLuthien Tinuviel ]

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

[] I thought the Maia Olorin was originally from Canada?

Sorry if I'm confusing with someone else. []

LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

Possibly.
I was just going by the "From: Stuttgard, Germany" line.

Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is my reasoning: Our recent presidents have been making empty promises and aren't doing very much to improve the economy of this country. Maybe Hilary can actually change things.
-Keo

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some think she was the one doing the manipulating behind the scenes, Lills.

Yeah. And some believe Elvis and Bigfoot have been calling the shots for years. []

Just proves that Dems with their conspiracy theories about Bush and the Republicans are mere copycats.

I don't want Hillary to run for several reasons. Least of which -- I don't think she has a shot in hell (or America, even) at winning. Greatest of which -- I'm very sad to say I think she has an excellent shot at getting shot. There are just too many hateful wackos out there.

From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

I agree with bomby. I think Hillary was fairly marginalized (and may have been a deliberate move on her part -- she's quite clever) after Bill Clinton left office. After she was elected to the US Senate in 2000, she spent a lot of time playing the dutiful junior senator, if anything to placate members of her own party and convince them she could be a team player.

And recent elections have shown that the Dems are still somewhat disorganized, at least nationally, to have an éminence grise manipulating things behind the scenes. If anything, Dem leadership has coalesced around 3-4 power groups, and Hillary has a long slog to win over all of them. Her biggest obstacle will be with trade unions, although she does enjoy significant support from labor in New York, which is powerful in its own right. Other Dem hopefuls may try to nail her on her initial support for the Iraq war, but that will be a non-issue by 2008. (2002-2003 support for the war, that is, not the war itself.)

As for threats to her life, I strongly believe someone will try to kill Obama first. He's half-black and has a name that suggests a Muslim background, even though he is a Christian.

I also agree with Master Roberts that a charismatic unknown will move to the fore. At least I hope so on the GOP side, because frankly the entire Republican national leadership has been compromised by the Bush presidency and their own big-government credentials. I hope that 2006 has beat down the evangelical wing sufficiently to let a real leader emerge. My hopes are on Giuliani.

Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » Hillary Clinton to run for Prez (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  22  23  24 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help