Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » OIF IV: A Marine's Deployment to Iraq (Page 2)
Author Topic: OIF IV: A Marine's Deployment to Iraq
Boromir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 239
posted      Profile for Boromir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all! Been a little while since I posted on here. Sorry about that, but it's been a little busy around here. No combat, still, but a lot of things that have to be done.

It's starting to get cold here, and I don't mean something in the 60's Fahrenheit. I almost wish I had came here in the summer, seeing as I've grown up in places that never allowed me to see snow.

The other day was the Marine Corps Birthday, celebrating 231 years of awesomeness. We all got some steak and two beers. Two beers was more than enough for some people, but not I! I was on post and didn't get to drink.

Well, that's all I've got to say right now. I'll repost an update as soon as possible.

Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Its good to hear from you Boromir! You know there will always be a full tankard of ale for you at Snowdog's! I just saw in the pix thread Cloudstrife's marine piccy! You guys rock!
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boromir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 239
Well, the boring part of our deployment came to an end the other day. Some of the Marines here at my BP were practicing for a helo insertion for an op two days ago, and due to pilot error or whatever, the bird half of them were in flipped, causing 23 casualties, 1 killed. Master Sergeant McAnulty died from his injuries after being transported to our FOB for medical attention. The rest are going to be fine, with varying levels of injuries. Most are actually returning to us sometime later this week. But it still messed us up about MSgt. He was always looking out for us, and even though he was so high up in the rank structure, he was always approachable. 3/4 Weapons Co. will never be the same without him, that's for sure.
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arisimi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4131
posted      Profile for Arisimi   Email Arisimi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bo, I'm so sorry that you've lost someone that was important to you. I know it's a bit selfish, but I'm glad that you weren't on the plane or injured [] .
I know, that's bad of me, but we all love you and are worried for you so I'm sure others were thinking it, but just didn't say it. Please try to keep in touch from time to time so we know you're OK. It feels almost wrong to say it, but I do hope that you have a good Christmas inspite of everything going on around you, know that we're all thinking of you and waiting the day you return safely to us.
{{{HUGS}}}

From: Never-Never Land | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boromir, so sorry to hear that.
From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boromir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 239
Thanks for the condolences about MSgt. We had the memorial service for him, and since then, things have started to get a little less depressing when we think of him.

And Merry Christmas (a little late) to everyone! It was alright for being in Iraq. Me and one of our corpsmen were in a pie eating contest, the skinniest guys on our BP. I won, ate a whole apple pie in less than two minutes. Needless to say, I won. It's just that Marines are better at pretty much everything, sorry to say for everyone else [] And I didn't get shot at, so it was even better. Well, gotta go, so I'll drop by and let you all know what's going on next chance I get.

Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It was nice to get a call from you. [] At least I know what's going on with you and I don't worry as much when I read or hear from you, but it's still nerve-wracking.

Hopefully the stuff I sent you will get there soon!!
-Keo

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

posted      Profile for CloudStrife   Email CloudStrife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey bro, sounds like things are going good over there. Congrats on winning the contest! And to everyone else reading this, yeah he's right. Sorry everyone, but we're just better at everything. Keep safe bro, and leave something for me to do when I get to finally go...
From: Austin | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry everyone, but we're just better at everything.
Whatever helps you sleep at night, mate [] .

*Thinks Boromir should try a custard tart next*
 -

[ 12-27-2006, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Miranthridel Bloom ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"No harm in him; only needs a smack or so." ~ C.S. Lewis on Tolkien, 1926.
"Smirking Slytherin style is stunningly superior of you." - My Platymum, Braeden Fireheart
Don't speak Latin in front of the Franciscans
20 Years of Snark and still goin' strong! - Lillianna, aka Dolphinaunt

My name is Miranthridel. Mi-ran-thri-del. No "Mith" involved.

From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boromir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 239
I heard talk in another thread that you hate the M16, Cloudy, as well as that you would be issued a 9mm or a shotgun. If you get issued a 9, then you're going to have an M16 or M4 (the carbine version of the M16), if not an M203 (actually it's an M16 with the M203 grenade launcher attached to it, but we all just call it a 203). If you get a shotgun, well, there really is no use for those if you aren't kicking in doors, so if you end up getting in a firefight, you'd have to wait until the muj (short for mujahedin, also known as insurgents) get kinda close, closer than I'd want. Give me my M16A4 with RCO (new version of the ACOG) any day.

And I had an unpleasant side effect of the apple pie. I forgot apples are a diarrhetic [] .

CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

posted      Profile for CloudStrife   Email CloudStrife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
With my unit though, the chances of me going out on patrol are slim to none. I'm attached to a Force Recon unit, and when I asked them about it, they said that I wouldn't be going out on patrols with them. If I did have to go on patrol, you better believe I'd get my hands on an M16 or M4. And I agree, the A4 with RCO is a badass toy...

Good luck with the apples man... [] []

From: Austin | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boromir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 239
Well, been a looooooong time. Nothing really has happened over here. Boring. But soon I go back to the States, so that's a good thing. Can't wait to sleep on a real bed and get some Guinness. Two and I'll be done. But just letting you all know I'm alive and well. Later everyone.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear you're doing well Boromir! I'll buy you a Guinness on your return.
You're not going to be re-deployed back to Iraq after 6 months are you?

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boromir, glad to hear you'll be heading back to the States safe and sound. May you have a hero's welcome upon your return!
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boromir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 239
Well, I'm back! At least for a little while, half a year or so. But my first deployment in Iraq is over, and the only thing I really have to say is this: I hate Iraq and anything to do with it, including the people. Sorry if I sound like a racist bastard, but I've seen too much proof that most of them are too untrustworthy. but, good news is, I'm enjoying a Guinness or three. Well, I'm gonna get going, so talk to you all later!
Boromir

Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back!
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iarnar the Desert Dog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2529

posted      Profile for Iarnar the Desert Dog   Edit/Delete Post 
Boromir

I will be passing by your (stateside) neighborhood on Thursday, May 17th, so if you need a lift to LA to see a certain someone, and don't mind riding with my dog, you know how reach me.

The only thing is, you'll have to find your own way back ...

From: on a horse with no name | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're back in one piece [] !

Also: Iarnar is alive [] ? Cool!

From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Welcome back to the states Boromir!
quote:
Boromir

I will be passing by your (stateside) neighborhood on Thursday, May 17th, so if you need a lift to LA to see a certain someone, and don't mind riding with my dog, you know how reach me.

The only thing is, you'll have to find your own way back ...

Boromir, live on the edge and go! You'll find a way back!
Cheers!

CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

Rock on man! Good to have you back bro! Two of my best friends are leaving in 4 days to begin their work up, and as much as I want to go, my unit's not leaving again until May of 2008... there is a slight possibility that I may be coming out to Cali this summer, and if I do, we'll have to get together and hang out!
Boromir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 239
Well, I can't really because of two reasons. Reason 1) The 17th is on Thursday, and I'm not off until the next day, and 2) I start leave the next day, and I'm going home, for obvious reasons.

And thanks for all the welcome backs and all that. Haven't really been sober enough to say so earlier, but it's here now.

And what are you coming out to California for, Cloud? If you aren't too busy doing whatever we can hang. Although I might be at Division Schools, going out to that sometime late this summer.

CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

I've got a friend out in Yuma, and I may be going to visit him. He's dating my sister and they're getting married later this year, so I'll be out that way eventually to see them.
Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

WHY IS EVERYONE GETTING MARRIED BUT MEEEEEEEEEEEEE?!?!?!

Ahem. Sorry 'bout that. Hooray for healthy, returned soldiers and Boromir getting to go on a bender or 6 [] .

Iarnar the Desert Dog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2529

posted      Profile for Iarnar the Desert Dog   Edit/Delete Post 
Boromir

Acknowledged.

From: on a horse with no name | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » OIF IV: A Marine's Deployment to Iraq (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help