Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » OIF IV: A Marine's Deployment to Iraq (Page 1)
Author Topic: OIF IV: A Marine's Deployment to Iraq
Boromir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 239
posted      Profile for Boromir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm sitting here in Iraq, bored out of my mind believe it or not. It really isn't the complete mess up that every media outlet seems to make it. The locals here actually like us and tell us things, and from what I've heard, it's starting to be like that all across Iraq. We have people who tell us where weapons caches are, and IEDs (roadside bombs). Every once in a while something will happen, but nothing really big so far, although I've only been here for about a month.

And things are getting better for us. I have regular access to a computer, and satellite phones. The food isn't so bad. We have showers. And our armor just keeps getting better, both personal and for the HMMWVs.

So, just going to post updates about what happens for those of you who do want to know. Oh, and the title: OIF IV=Operation Iraqi Freedom, 4th year from the Invasion of Iraq.

[ 12-23-2006, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Boromir ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Cheer up everyone. Things are looking up. We have pie!!!
Marines don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.
*goes to email warnings to all the female Brit teenagers on the board*-SSA
"You get that right tickin’ rhythm, man, and it's on!"-Fats Waller
"Are you motivated?" "Of course not corporal"-Me

Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good news, Boromir! [] And good to know that the locals are on your side.
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Horray! Glad you're doing well, man. Someone's gotta shed a positive light on this situation. [] Keep us posted and post pics!
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!!!!
*waves at him from Tennessee*
Glad to hear things are good. Well, you know as good as they can be.
Makes me more at ease for Curtis when he goes in the Spring.

What's the weather like?
Is it warm, cold?
Have you taken any pics?
Is there an address we can write you?

Ok....that was a lot of questions [] I'm just glad your doing well.

[ 09-22-2006, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: EowynatHeart ]

From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

posted      Profile for Elenár   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Splendid man! I'm glad things are looking up for you!

Keep safe Boromir

From: The glorious UK - for good! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5452
posted      Profile for Lórien   Email Lórien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Keep us posted Boromir!
I don't believe we have ever talked or anything, so Hello!

From: thats completely up to you. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Its always good to hear from people who are actually there, and its good to hear from you Boromir! Just stay alert dude.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear that things are going well, Boromir.

And don't let the media get to you. They're all just wallowing in what one editorial writer recently called the "CBS ambush"--Coordinated Blood-spilling plus Sensationalism--in order to titillate viewers and spin the world in their direction. []

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Stay safe, Boromir.

E: It's the media that's engaged in blood-spilling? WTF?

[ 09-22-2006, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It was great to talk to you - at one remove [] - the other day, babe.

Keep well, keep safe, keep in touch. And send me your email address!

Love ya.
Cate

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. The showers, now let's talk about the showers. In detail. Do you shower together? Please elaborate on the showering. []

I already sent you a myspace message about this, but for some odd reason I keep having dreams about you. Twice already. Stop invading my head! []

Don't forget our number one rule!! Love ya!
-Keo

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
E: It's the media that's engaged in blood-spilling? WTF?

Um...no.

But the media can find instances of blood-spilling and either report the cause, scope, size, context, and duration accurately...or not. []

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeeeeeaaaaaah - well, anyway, good luck Boromir.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

So...am I to understand that you believe they always do?

May I offer a few easy counter-examples, if your answer to that question is yes? They don't even have to have political overtones... []

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Wrong thread.

[ 09-22-2006, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear from you Boro.... and thanks for shedding some light. Too often reports lack subtely that is important to understand what is going on. Not everyone in Iraq hates the military presence, and some will help because they want safety.

Keep your wits about you, dude.

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear from you!

Some friends of friends came back from Iraq two years ago and told us pretty much what you just posted about how happy the Iraqis are to see us. I was worried that maybe things had changed since then, so I'm happy to know from you that it hasn't []

Thank you for being out there protecting us and liberating the Iraqis []

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boromir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 239
quote:
So...am I to understand that you believe they always do?
No. I know that there are always going to be some people who sit there and watch us as one blows up, but it doesn't happen often around here.

And I'm never discouraged by the media. I've known pretty much from day one that the media is making this place seem worse than it is. I have friends and family in the Marines and Army that told me what it was really like over here, so the news never really fooled me. Some things they get right, and some things they get wrong, most of the time I think they are somewhere in the middle.

And thanks for all the well wishes. Nothing has happened around here still. The other day one of our bases got attacked by six guys. It was a big one, so they had tanks and Cobras as well as Marines. All they found was a bullet-ridden shoe and shrapnel.

Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The other day one of our bases got attacked by six guys.
Are these the same Iraqis that are glad to see you?

[]

Great hearing from you Boromir. Keep safe! []

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Naughty Swelf! []

You're a clever Elf. You know perfectly well that Iraq is composed of many individual groups who are presently fighting it out for ascendancy. Some of those groups hate the foreign presence, some hate the West and US in particular, some are ambivalent, and some welcome them.

The tough part is knowing who is who in the political climate of Iraq, where alliances can be made temporary for the sake of expediency (tactics) over deeper permanent sentiments that remain in place.

For example, the people who welcome foreign presence can do so for as long as they need that presence to protect them. Then they can swiftly fall back onto older patterns and start to resent a foreign presence once expediency no longer requires them to tolerate it for safety's sake.

But that is too tricky to capture in a news bite and it's easier for a wider audience to have it simplified for them. If CNN could induce the participants to wear black or white hats, I bet they would. []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear from you, Marine!

Keep well, keep safe. And drop in on us here when you can.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Stay safe, Boromir.
From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to hear news from you! I'm glad you are bored. [] It's a good alternative to many things.

Stay safe and keep us updated!

Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boromir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 239
Elora is right. There are many different groups that are fighting here, although the biggest group that is fighting the foreign military presence are actually foreign themselves. Syrians, Saudis, Lebanese, so on.

I went on a patrol today for the census. It was pretty boring, especially since I was the driver and so I had to stay with the HMMWV the whole time. The little kids are annoying, too. They will have their pockets full of candy and still be asking for more. Once, on a different patrol, I saw a kid just hit this other kid right upside the head hard enough to knock him back, just for an oatmeal bar. It's pretty brutal when we go through for the smaller kids. But other than that, it's pretty uneventful. I guess that's a good thing, although I'd be lying to say I want it to stay that way. Want something to happen, but then I don't at the same time.

Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

Oh absolutely Boromir. Many nations would have had to cool their heels in their ambitions for use of Iraq's resources - Saddam was a real dampener on world or regional domination in that respect. That dude was seriously not into sharing. Now that he is gone, Iraq would be too irresistible to let slip by for a number of foreign in that region. Empire building - a nasty business indeed in that part of the world.

The drag of boredom and repetition, combined with the ongoing tension of having to expect something occuring can make for a pretty sharp edge. I can see why you'd want it to happen already, Boromir.

I don't suppose you can give us exact details of where you're at. But are there any other military forces nearby or in the region?

Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » OIF IV: A Marine's Deployment to Iraq (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help