Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » Happy Passover!
Author Topic: Happy Passover!
Telperion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1636

posted      Profile for Telperion   Email Telperion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've been sending holiday greetings to my relatives and the Passover feast (seder) starts in a few moments at my house.
So happy passover to everyone in MT!

-

From: Israel, North East of Tel Aviv | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Passover, Telperion!

mmmmmm matzoh! []

It's interesting that the Hebrew word for Passover (Pesach -sp?) is the root for the word for "Easter" in nearly all European langauges. []

[ 04-12-2006, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Passover, peeps!

I ate some matza yesterday. It was too stale, so I put some cream cheese on it, and it tasted goooood. []
-Keo

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, Happy Passover!

What a fine time of year it is,

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1636

posted      Profile for Telperion   Email Telperion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the Hebrew word for Passover (Pesach -sp?)
A great linguist as usual, Silmahtar []
Though I think the correct transcript is Pesakh...

quote:
is the root for the word for "Easter" in nearly all European langauges
I was under the impression that "Easter" originates from the Anglo Saxon "Eastre" - goddess of spring, to which the celebration was originally intended (prior to Christian conversion). []
From: Israel, North East of Tel Aviv | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Passover Telperion!

Shalom, Thingol

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Passover!
Happy Easter!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Telperion,
"Easter" is of a group of words that all point to "Aster" - or Star. You are correct, however, that there was a goddess associated with this time / theme of the year.

The "oestre" or "estrus" in animals was a [sexual] "frenzy" related to the Stars, which especially bears itself out in the fact that animals cannot choose when they "come into heat" (as we say).

Personally, I don't think Humans have much choice either [] , but that's just me!

When Rabbi Gold was knighted by the Queen, as part of the knighting ceremony, he had to kneel before the Queen. And, as we all know, Jews do not bow before anyone except Hashem. On top of that, he was told to recite a paragraph from the Christian liturgy during the actual knighting. The rabbi was in a quandary, as this was being televised, but he could NOT violate the Jewish laws.

The five honorees were lined up waiting for the Queen to receive them. As her royal highness entered the room all kneeled, except for Rabbi Gold. The Queen noticed this, but diplomatically ignored it. Then, the Queen began knighting each person. When she came to Rabbi Gold who still wasn't kneeling, she looked at him expectantly. Realizing she was waiting for the Latin recitation, he began to sweat and shake with nervousness. Then, in a fit of utter desperation, he said the first thing that came to mind, "Mah nishtana halaila hazeh mikol-haleilot!"

The Queen, perplexed, turned to the Prince and asked, "Why is this knight different from all other knights?"...

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1636

[] []
A whole new meaning to "cultural difference" []

Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*bump for 2007

Happy Passover!
Happy Resurrection Sunday!

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » Happy Passover!
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help