Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » Beam me up, Scotty!
Author Topic: Beam me up, Scotty!
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Scotty has been beamed up for the last time.

May he rest in peace and the pleasure he provided to so many be returned to him ten-fold.

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How sad... First Bones, now Scotty.

And I didn't know this about him:
quote:
At 19, James escaped the turmoil at home by joining the Canadian army, becoming a lieutenant in artillery. He was among the Canadian forces that landed on Juno Beach on D-Day. "The sea was rough," he recalled. "We were more afraid of drowning than the Germans."

The Canadians crossed a minefield laid for tanks; the soldiers weren't heavy enough to detonate the bombs. At 11:30 that night, he was machine-gunned, taking six hits: one that took off his middle right finger (he managed to hide the missing finger on screen), four in his leg and one in the chest. Fortunately the chest bullet was stopped by his silver cigarette case.

[] []

My Star Trek tastes are more partial to the films than the TV shows, and this is one of my favorite Scotty moments, from The Wrath of Khan, right after the Reliant's devastating attack on the Enterprise:
quote:
"He stayed at his post [chokes back tears], when the trainees ran."
Journey on, brave Mr. Scott...

[ 07-20-2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Mighty Müsnud
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Scotty's slightly smouldery but probably purely platonic 'affair' with Uhuru.

But why do engineers have to be Scottish? He was supposed to be from Aberdeen, and most definitely did not have the (very distinctive) Aberdeen accent.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
May you be beamed to happier realms, Scotty. We love you.
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Canadian-born actor was a master of dialect, developed during his years on radio.

When asked what accent he thought his Star Trek character should have, he said: "I believed the Scot voice was the most commanding."

I must admit... I always thought that he was a Scot, it never occured to me that he was actually acting. []

R.I.P.

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I first heard James Doohan speak in his natural voice during an interview or somesuch -- it was weird after having only known him for his Scots burr for so many years. It was like seeing Casey Kasem's face for the first time... [] []

Yeah, Scotty was kick-ass, cajoling that intergalactic jalopy into bailing Kirk and crew out of one mess or another. In lesser hands The Enterprise would have been cosmic dust. And if it weren't for the fact that Kirk was most likely a Scots-American, Scotty would let that chump drift into the emptiness of space long ago.

-

[ 07-20-2005, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
By all accounts, James Doohan was as likeable a fellow as Scotty. He'll be missed.
From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah well. Off you go, then.
From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

posted      Profile for Elenár   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was so sad to read this last night already!

Rest in peace sir []

From: The glorious UK - for good! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Woodwose
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

posted      Profile for The Woodwose   Email The Woodwose   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm given' it all I've got Captain!"

And so you did.

From: I'm a wose darn it! I live in the WOODS!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3219

posted      Profile for Elanor Gamgee   Email Elanor Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

RIP

From: Moscow | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is just perfect.

Go, Scotty, go! What could possibly be better?

Kalkin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1029

posted      Profile for Kalkin   Email Kalkin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite Scotty scene is the post-barfight scene in Troubles With Triblles where Kirk interrogates him as to who started the fight. Scotty lets a number of personal insults to Kirk slide but blows his top when the Klingons insult the Enterprise.
From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
R.I.P. Scotty.
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angathas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1319
posted      Profile for Angathas   Author's Homepage   Email Angathas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is a shame that James Doohan, Montgomery Scott of the USS Enterrprise, has left us for another type of galaxy. he's gone but never forgotten. A terrific character actor. I've seen his work on Outer Limits as well as Star Trek. Loved the bar fight he started in "Trouble With Tribbles", and any other episode in which he had to save the ship but could only do so much given the laws of physics.

I once met him for an autograph signing and noticed one of his fingers missing. Now I know it was from his participation in D-Day. A real war hero. I will miss him.

BTW, a cure for Alzheimer's must be found. We can't allow more deaths to occur due to this horrible disease.

From: Staten Island, New York 10306 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So we all need to report in dress uniform for the memorial.
I met James 'Scotty' Doohan at a local theater at one of the movie premiere advance showings... the horrid #V I think, and he was a great and very regular guy and was genuinely interested in what was talked about. He didn't try and hurry you along and such an I had even more respect for him. I remember he telling me his favorite TV episode was the 'Doomsday Machine'

A war hero of the great D-Day invasion, and a great man. Rest now, for Miles has the transporter.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

I never knew he was a war hero. What a man!

My sis, who doesn't have net access, adds her fond farewells.

edit: The Woodwose's post was simply the best. Bless you!

[ 07-21-2005, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

quote:
BTW, a cure for Alzheimer's must be found. We can't allow more deaths to occur due to this horrible disease.
Studies into Alzheimer's in lab rats has shown that scientist might be able to stop even REVERSE the effects of the disease, thus allowing patients to possibly REGAIN memory []
From: The glorious UK - for good! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
His final wish will be granted... Scotty's ashes will be "beamed" into space on Dec 8th. []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

And your tribute can go with him.

What a brilliant idea! Yes of course I contributed. [] Scotty is one of my all-time heroes.

Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

So did I. May he boldly explore this new frontier []

EDIT: My message:

Congratulations on a perectly completed mission!

Go boldly now on your next quest. Know that you brought joy and fascination to us all. You are missed.

Scotty fixed the Enterprise
no small job for a ship that size.
He beamed Kirk up
and never gave up,
knowing him was the ultimate prize!

[ 10-15-2005, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Elenár ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
God save our gracious Queen!

There are only 10 kinds of people on Earth - those that understand binary and those that don't ;)

Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

Today's the day...
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

So sad... From Star Trek to Lost in Space(almost).
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » Beam me up, Scotty!
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help