Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » postmodernism (Page 8)
Author Topic: postmodernism
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My critique on the poem you posted Gna can be summed up in one word......................PANTS! []
But that's my personal opinion so don't crucufy me for it []
As for the ram in a tyre [] I ain't got a clue what it's meant to be telling me but I found it very funny [] Is the artist a visual comedian or something? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lassë- I like this line best:

quote:
A rain of letters on a derelict landscape
Wetwang - Octavio Paz is one of my favorite poets, and I think Rauschenberg is an awesome artist. So [] .

[]

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gna [] I see that to a certain extent you agree with me. That's why you used the ' [] ' smilie I take it [] []
As for your 'artistic' leanings as they say......there's no acounting for taste []
And on that note here's a poem I like,

THE OJ TRIAL AS TOLD BY DR. SUESS

I did not kill my lovely wife.
I did not slash her with a knife.
I did not bonk her on the head.
I did not know that she was dead.

I stayed at home that fateful night.
I took a cab, then took a flight.
The bag I had was just for me.
My bag. My bag. Hey, leave it be.

When I came home, I had a gash.
My hand was cut from broken glass.
I cut my hand on broken glass.
A broken glass did cause that gash.

I have nothing, nothing to hide.
My friend he took me for a ride.
Did you take this person's life?
Did you do it with a knife?

I did not do it with a knife.
I did not, could not kill my wife.
I did not do this awful crime.
I could not, would not anytime.

Did you hit her from above?
Did you drop this bloody glove?
I did not hit her from above.
I cannot even wear that glove.

I did not do it with a knife.
I did not, could not kill my wife.
I did not do this awful crime.
I could not, would not anytime.

And now I'm free, I can return
To my small house, for which I yearn,
And to family whom I love.
So now I'm free, give back my glove.

And I counter your'Rauschenberg' with a piece called 'Blot on the Landscape' by that often overlooked modern artist Cheeta Pan
 -

[]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wetty! [] Are you trying to deconstruct our aesthetics with your dualism-bashing, grayzone, borderline, uncategorizable, works of un-art??! []
From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Yes, Wetwang, there's no accounting for taste is applicable in many spheres. [] You like Primate Exploitation art, I like Postmodern Assemblages; you like Dr. Suess Rip-offs, I like Octavio Paz. I know there are one or two other people on this site who like Paz, but I'll bet that imitation Suess is much more popular. []
From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

The Free Thinker, also known as Thoughts from the Deep, by the West Texas artist Ho Baron.

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

SYDNEY -- A 30-meter high Vincent van Gogh hot air balloon flies over Sydney, Australia. The balloon, in Australia from its home country of the Netherlands, will participate in the upcoming Canberra Balloon Fiesta, which takes place March 6-15. (03/01/04 AP photo)

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooooooh

Aaaaaaaahh

From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooooooh

Aaaaaaaahh

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Free Thinker from the Deep, WT? Is that your buddy Ulmo? I imagine he would look like that, all shriveled like a raisin, if he came out of the sea for any length of time.
From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

It does look a bit like Big U.

-

Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Hey, is that balloon missing an ear on the other side?
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

A reasonable assumption.
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

And leave my "Tickle Me Ulmo" doll out of this!

Sincerely,
The Crabby Red Freakie

[ 10-07-2004, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Gna ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

It's "Freakie", not "Freak", dear.
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard a post-modern, deconstructionist version of "I Shall Not Be Moved" on the radio heading home this past weekend. It started out with all the parts, techno-style, and then each part dropped out separately, with no re-entering. I had to agree with my "Puck", who objected strenuously by hanging his head out the window and yelling to passing vehicles, "I'm stuck in this car and the music s**ks!!"

Of course, I thought of this thread [] []

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Speaking of PoMo, Jacques Derrida is []
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

at age 74. The man who argued that language is ambiguous?
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

I think we need Lassë or someone else to explain Derrida; I'm not really familiar with him.
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

I feel bad now that I popped Derrida with a rolled-up wet towel during a Fluxus performance event on page 1 of this thread. [] Pancreatic cancer is a terrible way to die.

I think we need Lassë to give us a memorial seminar on Derrida-I can't even understand the Wikipedia entry. There was a documentary on Derrida that might be interesting:

Derrida

Angathas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1319
posted      Profile for Angathas   Author's Homepage   Email Angathas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Now that Jacques Derrida is finally dead, we can only hope that his fraudulent "philosophy" can vanish as well. Did anyone ever understand what he was writing about? What is the point of rendering everything meanless? I can only imagine what Derrida would do with Tolkien. He would deconstruct it to the point where critics would have more reason to ignore LOTR as literature.

It is often said that critics of Derrida who don't like his work, haven't really read it. Perhaps that is true, but just like with Kant, there are many who probably try to crack open to the first page of a Derrida book, and think what the hell am I reading? The reader gets put off and doesn't try again. It is not worth the reader's time or brain power any longer.

But I'll try to be open to this. Show me, a Tolkien fan and believer in the objective reality, how Derrida contributed anything important to the meaning of literature. When you do so, please check your left-wing bent at the door.
Thanks.

From: Staten Island, New York 10306 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Not sure about his philosophy, but as an interview, he majorly sucks.
Roll of Honor Aranel Charis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2061

posted      Profile for Aranel Charis   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As a literature student, I think I want to say that Derrida did contribute to the literary analysis we now have and take for granted. Derrida's theories were in part a revolt against the New Criticism of the 1940s and 50s, which 'focuses on the text as an artifact that should be studied without any background information about the author or historical period' and attempts to 'establish a "corret" interpretation'. Instead, deconstructionist theory says that there is no single correct meaning, and that scientific objectivity about literature is not possible.

One of the results of Derrida's theories was the change from teachers saying "This is the right interpretation and all others are wrong" (when in reality it was just their personal interpretation) to opening criticism up to the individual reader. Thus I as a literature student can have a different interpretation of Tolkien than my teacher and both can be equally valid. I would add that to be valid, both have to be grounded in what the text actually says.

End of literary lecture. (for now) []

From: Leeds | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aina Moja
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1962

posted      Profile for Aina Moja   Author's Homepage   Email Aina Moja   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -
From: The Back of A Camel | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » postmodernism (Page 8)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help