Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » postmodernism (Page 6)
Author Topic: postmodernism
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't thought about that WT.
Are you female by any chance Gna? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Cyprinus in ripa per totum diem.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm about as useful as a mute switch on a smoke alarm.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm a Misogynistic Mushroom according to Athene.

From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm growing very fond of this smiley: []

On the other hand, I used to love this one, but now hate it: []

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

No nagging, need art for gnu page:

Rauschenberg

-

EDIT: Oooh, soundtracks! What a great idea, Wandering Tuor !

Soundtrack: Philip Glass, Serra Pelada

[ 11-19-2003, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Gna ]

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
de Kooning

-

Soundtrack: Ornette Coleman, Lonely Woman

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Anagram genius for "Wandering Tuor is a capitalist oppressor":

Participate in passwords? Or regulations? []
Anticipate passwords? Or Negro spirituals?
Curse it! isolating password preparation.
Large passwords, participation routines.
Lords-in-waiting appropriate as to curses.
Proposed warnings as to particularities.
Taciturn, predispositional sage sparrow.
It is oriental word-processing apparatus.
Awe-inspiring as to coloraturas stripped. (I know you like opera, but [] )
Awe-inspiring applicators tortured as so.
Purposes awaiting rational descriptors.
Is paper writing, assaulted corporations. (doubt that one)

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

[]

"Wandering Tuor" alone => NATURE WORDING []

Now where's that Wordsworth ?

Angathas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1319
posted      Profile for Angathas   Author's Homepage   Email Angathas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Now to the topic.

Don't post-modern artists like to state that anything they do can be called art? Don't they have any definition of art? It's illogical to put your name of something and call it your work of art. The examples of art you guys are providing are fine. But they're a bit old. Look at today's modern art. See if there's anything you really like. I, for one, have had it with modern art. I see nothing left to be done. A person like me who loves Tolkien has now found appreciation in the Pre-Raphaelites and the work of the French Academy, especially the Orientalism, and also military art paintings. There are terrific web sites that display in military art, naval art, aviation art. Try also Artcyclopedia.com

From: Staten Island, New York 10306 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh my God! personal truth loses.
WOW! it even has 'oh myy gwood' in it! Gotta love it! [] Thanks Gna!

And the new guy - welcome to the thread (I don't remember your name right now, sorry)

you say:
quote:
I, for one, have had it with modern art
but modern art and postmodern art are not the same. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but do you totally write off anything but old school naturalistic art?

.. and yes, on of the things I've posted here is pretty new. The Shirin Neshat photo/painting is from the 90s. Do you like that one?

I know I said I'd (try to) give a definition of PoMo aesthetics, but I haven't agreed with myself right now. I think we need another way than just dating to decide between postmodernist art and other art.

From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*risks a double post* []

[] CONCERNING MT GUEST LECTURES []
I got this idea last night when I was lying in my bed (just before sodomizing - j/k) - I thought: why don't we have a thread where people tell about something thay know about? -- like a kind of guest lectures. It should be done in a 'lecture style' ("today I'll tell you about..." and well written, perhaps figures), and then afterwards there should be questions and discussion. Wouldn't that be fun? I don'øt mean it to be controversial subjects, but just something someone knows about and thinks the world should know. I'm sure a lot of people here are experts in something. []

I post it here in the PoMo-thread first, cause this is the most serious Pony-thread these days. So what do y'all think? []

From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Sorry, Lassë , you'll have to count me out of the MT seminar series:
1. It would be too much like my real job.
2. I only know lots about things that others will find really boring and nerdy. Like natural history.
3. Wandering Tuor will [] at me the whole time. []

I thought that the Abstract Expressionist, Pop Art, and collage works that we've been posting were quintessential post-modern works, even if they were created in the 1950s and 1960s. But I'd be happy to search around a bit to find examples of very contemporary art that I like; I can think of one or two artists whom I've met at galleries and in drawing or watercolor classes. As a very recent issue in architecture, perhaps we could discuss the controversy over the design of buildings/structures at the site of the Towers in NYC. There was an article in this Sunday's New York Times ; I think some of the architects involved are known for postmodern designs. Or would it be too sensitive a subject?

Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

I think Natural History is interesting. Come on Gna, you can only make us wiser! []
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Gno, I'd only make people at MT hate me more than they already do. []

Besides, my PowerPoint lectures are upwards of 3.5MB in size, due to all the diagrams and photos. All of my manuscripts, proposals, and reviews have no fewer than 60 references, and usually 100+. I'm insanely thorough and obsessive compulsive. []

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How have I missed this thread?

---

Not that I have anything even remotely relevant to add to it.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Never stopped you before. Ba dum CHING !

Gnostic Girl - I would never [] at you.

Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

Gna, it's not supposed to be on a high level. If you think Natural History is interesting then I'm sure that there iss ome luittle anecdote or fact that you could tell us about. Maybe some fun experiments, or something interesting on T Rex'es []

Laur, ssshhhh! this thread is our little secret. So few orcs - so good people. Please post (that goes for all the lurkers too) []

Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Baconman, make the lecture-thread! I'll post something, if I can only decide what subject to write about.
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

Lets wait with the thread until we have something ready to post. But if you're game then I'm game. You could talk about Norse Mythology []

*thinks what he could talk about himself* []

What about you WT and Laur? *combining [b]'s* []

Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Angathas said:
quote:
The examples of art you guys are providing are fine. But they're a bit old. Look at today's modern art. See if there's anything you really like. I, for one, have had it with modern art. I see nothing left to be done.
I don't agree, but then perhaps my definition of art is broader than yours. One of the positive directions for visual art is to change the perceptions of where and how art should be presented or displayed, who can see it and touch it, and who judges it as art or not-art. An example of this is the Burning Man event (WT is already [] , I can tell)- before I post photos let me admit that it is currently one of the GREAT disappointments of my life that I have not yet been to Burning Man, and, because of the timing, it is unlikely that I will be able to attend in the near future. [] Nevertheless, I have friends who attend, and who are involved in orchestrating/presenting art events, and I think that many Burning Man artists would disagree with the notion that there is nothing left to be done. Just as a couple of amusing examples, here are a few art cars:

-

-

Also, I really enjoy exchanging collage and carved artistamp creations through mail art events, and I've received some absolutely stunning pieces in return.

I'm still waiting for Lassë's definition of postmodern aesthetics, however-I'm assuming that collage, as assemblage of items that have no intrinsic value or meaning on their own, falls into the category.

[ 11-19-2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Gna ]

Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an example of a trait of PoMo, nostalgia.
quote:
More excitingly, I discovered a whole bunch of awesome and quirky little shops and restaurants. The most notable store smelled of hemp and had yellowish lighting. It was a really big store compared to most on that street, and it specialized in all forms of vintage clothing. The fact that every single item, down to the shelves themselves, in the store was old and crummy was weird enough, but the really surreal thing about it was that it was swarming with unsmiling hordes of twentysomethings who could obviously afford much, much more than these cheap, crappy-yet-chic items. By "filled with unsmiling hordes of twentysomethings," I mean every single person in there--to a man--was college-age, and there was no trace of laughing or visible happiness to be found. It was less a store than a cultural phenomenon: that all these rich, unhappy young people (and only they) would be drawn to the old and crummy, searching for some sort of rebellion or irony or something that someone more learned in these things could expound upon. Very weird. Another shop dealt in not only clothing but vintage (here read "ugly") wares of all kinds. Don't get me wrong: I like the ironic crumminess thing pretty well most of the time, especially as it pertains to clothing. But once you start expanding that into objects and home decor things generally start going south real fast. Just the most hideous objects....the interesting part about this shop was eavesdropping on a conversation between two employees of the shop. One was affectionately patting a deteriorating sofa and remarking to the other how they don't make quality stuff like that anymore. Reminiscing about the good old days he was too young to have ever experienced. The other employee expressed his sad agreement. I came up to pay for a shirt and noticed a weird, primitive 18-key plug-in piano thing sitting on the counter. I tried it out, and it was sort of fun. The guy ringing up the sale sighed and said, "That used to be mine, but I decided to put it on sale. It's a wonderful piece. [He looked at it forlornly and lovingly] Now every time someone comes up and plays it I think about maybe not selling it after all." I was struck by the fact that this crazy little shop, whatever it might say about American youth culture in the post-90's decade, was not merely a business but a labor of love. These guys weren't trying to make a buck off the current trend; they wanted to give to other people the stuff that makes them happy, the stuff they think is the best ever made. I was thinking about this as I walked out of the shop with the shirt I purchased in purple plastic bag. Outside were two old geezers looking contemplatively at the front of the shop. The one was holding his hands up like a movie screen, his thumbs making L's with his pointer fingers, as the other orated on how they were gonna fix the place up once they got enough money to buy it. "A couple cafe tables here out front...new paint...there she goes." They were grinning. The dreamers.

Out on the street there were loads of people of all ages, walking past the brightly-lit evening shops as the people dining or shopping inside looked out. It was rainy out still and windy, but the people didn't seem to mind. There was a man playing a guitar and singing on the sidewalk across the street; there was a psychedelically painted hippie van parked outside a feminist bookshop. Little kids eating ice cream (of all things, on such an evening) and sloshing their yellow boots through the puddles. The smell of hemp wafting heavily in the streets. And out of nowhere I was suddenly glad to be here among the communists, the anarchists, the feminists, the protesters, the environmentalists, the stoners, and all of them... I was glad.

[ 11-21-2003, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Celebrían ]

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angathas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1319
posted      Profile for Angathas   Author's Homepage   Email Angathas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, an artist told me that there are three types of post-modern art:

a) magical realism

b) motion painting

c) post-modern abstraction

I could most likely be fond of a) and b). This sounds like today's form of Surrealism. I have to see more of it to appreciate it.

But right now, I'd rather look at works by Alan Lee, John Howe, Ted Naismith, Mort Kunsler, Chris Collingwood, and other illustrative types.

From: Staten Island, New York 10306 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

Celebrian, it sounds like someone visited Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley [] []

Where did you find it? Was it taken from a longer text? If it was then I'd like to read the rest of it.

Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good close guess! I'll answer you further by PM, Lassë.
From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Nostalgia is a PoMo trait? Well, then I'm having a very postmodern evening, fueled by a successful search for some old photos (at the request of a grad school housemate), a Richard Thompson (of Fairport Convention fame-yikes!)CD, and a dinner of brown rice, miso, seaweed, and tofu. Now all I need is a bong... JUST KIDDING!!! []

Wow, apparently, when I was about Lassë's age, I went through a rather androgynous Sindarin Elf phase. [] I'd forgotten about that. []

I found this PoMo journal on the web, and identified an article that looked as if it might be about something I could relate to-Pynchon's novel Mason & Dixon. However, I really didn't understand the article at all [] :

postmodern historiography

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
....adûn izindi batân tâidô ayadda: îdô kâtha batîna lôkhî....

The Thief
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 828

posted      Profile for The Thief   Email The Thief   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is going pretty good... []

I've read it but i've had no time to respond to this or any other threads on minas tirith, school has been inundating me with assessment tasks...
I gotta do a speech on postmodernism... what it is... why you think it is that way... It'll be fun.

But i'm just quickly writing to thank you people on keeping the thread going.

From: Possum Creek | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » postmodernism (Page 6)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help