Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » postmodernism (Page 4)
Author Topic: postmodernism
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] @ the Sokal Hoax! Though "morphogenetic fields" do exist in another area of science. You might have toes growing out of the top of your head, for example, if not for morphogenetic fields. []

I don't think that Miles Davis is a postmodern musician- Kjartan and I just got off topic. I think that both Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane might qualify as postmodern, however-the timing of their contributions to jazz, and to music in general, is contemporary with advances in the visual arts and literature. A Love Supreme was such a departure from everything else, and Gary Giddins, in Visions of Jazz, refers to that as a "prestorm lullaby" compared to the subsequent Ascension. Many of the Village Vanguard recordings are very edgy and progressive as well. Neither Coltrane nor Coleman followed the established "rules" of composition, harmonics, time signatures, etc.

EDIT: I was just listening to Thelonius Monk's Criss-Cross and Epistrophy this morning on my way to work, and remembered that his music is probably PoMo as well. Though Monk was certifiably insane, as in "go outside in the freezing rain with no coat and one shoe" insane. Gotta consider Charles Mingus, too. I like Radiohead too, The Thief , but I don't consider them "postmodern", nor do I think that they're particularly experimental or "out there".

*envies Wandering Tuor for having a chance to see Ornette Coleman*

[ 10-30-2003, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Gna ]

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well I don't know if Radiohead are postmodern or not, but they'e sure trying to be []

The ultimate postmodern album is U2's 'Achtung Baby' -- with song titles like "Even Better Than The Real Thing" (soo hyperreal) and artwork from post-wall Berlin []

From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lassë, can you provide us a link to an example of what you are thinking of as PoMo "artwork from post-wall Berlin" ? Thanks, this sounds intriguing!

[ 10-30-2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Celebrían ]

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to find the cover artworks from Achtung Baby -- it's photography (more or less) -- I'm on my way out of the door now, but if linkmaster-WT doesn't beat me to it I'll post a link when I get back []
From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You should check out Miles' On the corner and Bitches Brew. Fusion indeed.
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

This is the cover of the U2 album... Notice the eastern european 'trabant car' with graffiti on it. It was featured in different versions as the cover for their singles for the album. Actually now that I think of it, some of the photographs are kinda oriental in their look. I don't know if they're actually from Berlin (perhaps Kreutzberg) of from another country.

-

"Every artist is a cannibal every poet is a thief" -

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal."

- T. S. Eliot

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for looking that up, Lassë. Hmm,think it qualifies for anti-art?
art - "the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects; also, works so produced." MW

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Lassë - How about trying to recreate some of the photos on the U2 album cover for a "Postmodern Face Behind the Pseudonym"? []

Robert Venturi is considered to be a postmodern architect, and has written books and articles on the subject. Here's a photo of his Sainsbury Wing for the National Gallery in London, which created quite a stir. I think this was one of the buildings that Prince Charles railed about in his plummy, stodgy, voice:

-

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My "Post-Modern Face Behind the Pseudonym" is in the last post in the News That Amuses Thread. []

-

[ 10-31-2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

*to the tune of America's Ventura Highway *

"Venturi building, so post-modern,
Asymmetric house of glass
Among royals is cause of con-cern,
You're way too PoMo, I know, whoaoaooo"

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

In honor of Halloween, I'm going to see a horror movie tonight, When Scientists Sing. []
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

Well, there goes Morena's [] date for the evening with Chernobog [] flushing down the tube! []
*plans to watch Fantasia again this evening []

Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Wandering Tuor - []

Some PoMo/minimalist environmental sculpture by Eduardo Chillida:

-

[] I think it's called "Wind Combs", and I would love to see it in person some day.

I started to reread Gravity's Rainbow late last night; [] @ the Giant Adenoid in St. James.

Edit: To correct dyslexic mistake. []

[ 11-01-2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Gna ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

[]

That's part of Slothrop's sodium pentathol (sp?) dream, right?

Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

*has said it before but will say it again*

I love that people post art in this thread - It is SO superior! Why hasn't people thought of that before?

And, Gna, that sculpture thingy looks great! []

*is going out in five minutes*
*loves the nightlife*

Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone who's interested.

Postmodernism

From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

You got to boogie?

Lassë - the Photography thread is also great.* []

[ 11-01-2003, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

This is, without question, my favorite Pony thread. I like it even better than my own polls. []

The Giant Adenoid may indeed be part of Slothrop's dream, but at the point it first appears, Slothrop hasn't been mentioned yet. It's Pirate Prentice's encounter with "this lymphatic monster [that] had once blocked the distinguished pharynx of Lord Blatherard Osmo" which is mentioned first, but of course Pirate experiences the dreams of others.

Pynchon "hijacks" a lot of popular songs with his own lyrics in Gravity's Rainbow (e.g. "Down this toilet they say you are flushin'"), but of course I'm not as good at it as he is.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

quote:
. . . as the Adenoid continues its rampage, not swallowing up its victims at random, no, the fiendish Adenoid has a master plan, it’s choosing only personalities useful to it . . . "wait, now it’s . . . beginning to . . . oh no . . . oh God I can’t describe it, it’s so beast-"
[]

Pynchon's actual voice will be heard in an unpcoming epidisode of The Simpsons [] Yes, it's true. J.K. Rowling will also "appear". (Note: Pynchon's animation will have a bag over his head.)
[]

- - - - - - - - -

-
Robert Smithson, Spiral Jetty

[ 11-01-2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

Knuckle Dragger
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3780
posted      Profile for Knuckle Dragger   Email Knuckle Dragger   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Knuckle Dragger was once told postmodern art = pretentious sucker fodder.
[]

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Sorry Lasse

Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

projection:

. . . . .

[Psychology. ]
1. The attribution of one's own attitudes, feelings, or suppositions to others.

2. The attribution of one's own attitudes, feelings, or desires to someone or something as a naive or unconscious defense against anxiety or guilt.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

-

(Design for Gravity's Rainbow)

Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

[] @ projection ....

Re the design for Gravity's Rainbow above:

"Yeah well," as film critic Mitchell Prettyplace puts it in his definitive 18-volume study of King Kong, "you know, he did love her, folks." []

I was trying to remember when Slothrop is "tortured" with the vile English candies by a girlfriend's mother-I think he has to recover using his Slippery Elm Lozenges. Haven't found the passage yet, though.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

It's in In the Zone, IIRC (Part 3).

A Gravity's Rainbow thread would be great IMHO, not least because then I could pick the brains of some of the smart people here on various arcane references in the book. But I wonder who would participate othan than Gna and me ? Is anyone else read interested ?

Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » postmodernism (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help