Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » postmodernism (Page 3)
Author Topic: postmodernism
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the destinction between art and not-art is a modern dualism anyways. It is sooo over! [] (just like the city of London, that anacronistic monument over empires and class struggle) []

I'll end up ruining this thread, won't I? []

... and I even nominated it for the 'best pony thread' []

From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The refusal to make rational distinctions is my major problem with (1) post-modern theory, and (2) several MT citizens. []
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rational Schmational []

Actually I'm not thoroughly postmodern as said somewhere else. I'm not even sure what I believe. I try to just report the thoughts of other people. I think they are often right, but I'm not blind to critisism. I'm a fierce supporter of the natural sciences, as long as they don't get greedy and thing that the truth about the social world lies in quantitative research.

WT, have you ever read about Alan Sokal? I tell you man, you'd LOVE HIM! He reminds me a lot of you, except he claims to be a leftie... He's a science professor that made a scam on the postmodern/cultural studies lefties that will make you scream from joy.

Read this for instance

There are plenty of other texts (some less sober than others) on this subject on the Net. I haven't read all of the above, but it looks like it outlines what is known as the "Sokal Hoax".

From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I posted about the brilliant Sokal scam on MT over a year ago. It was inspired! Can't remember which thread, though.

Yeah that's the one! "A Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity." [] Derrida probably thought it was brilliant.

[ 10-29-2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

It was inspired? I'm not sure what that means in this context... []

Oh well, I thought you'd know about it. I read his book because I did a paper on the affair, and several times during the chapter about Baudrillard I found myself shaking with disbelief -- Baudrillard was my first favourite thinker (and still is one of them) and this critique of him was devestating []

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

I mean it was FUNNY !!!!! This relates directly to my Test No. 1, above. The Social text editors obviously were so inured to PoMo trash that they couldn't tell a parody when they saw it.

No idea who Baudrillard is. I see now why you've read Eco, as you're studying semiotics. Maybe a nice sabbatical in Italy would be good for you? *loves Italy*

Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

Actually I'm studying Cognitive semiotics -- there's not much of a difference. I just think it's my professors way of distancing us from the rest of the über-relativistic cultural studies types in the humanities department. I have classes on Neuroscience as well as clases on aesthetics...

As for Eco: we have a lot of italian students on my school, and they all say that Umberto Eco doesn't teach at the Bologna University anymore. I guess he's some kind of professor of honour now -- he apparently has his own little research center thing.

Baudrillard is the philosophy who says that the real doesn't exist anymore. I always like when ideas are as far away from common sense as possible, so Baudrillard is just my type []

Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We need some art on this page, to decorate the postmodernism thread:

Rothko

-

Cornell

-

And here's a website on Pynchon that looked intriguing, but I haven't had a chance to peruse it thoroughly:

Pynchon

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OOOH, Gna! The Rothko's are so saturatedly rich!

I took a skim through Pynchon at the bookstore today, since the library copy is out for another 20 days. Yikes! I wouldn't want it around where an 11-year-old child could accidently pick it up.

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

That Rothko is beautiful. []

I actually was looking at that Pynchon thread this morning. I laughed at the picture for Episode 14 (the screaming mouth, not the naked girl); it's taken from a 1970s album cover (King Crimson). []

EDIT: Cele - 11 or 110, you don't want to read the Brigadier General Pudding episode. [] [] []

[ 10-29-2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

Ohh WT, I totally tracked down your website! [] "Employee Benefits" - that sounds so altruistic []

*will stop stalking now*

*also likes the Rothko*

This thread is so superiour because it has ~real art in it! []

[ 10-29-2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Lassë ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Who said I was altruistic? I'm a freakin' CORPORATE LAWYER. Doesn't my Profile still self-describe me as a "capitalist oppressor" ?? []

I hope you don't think I was dissing semiotics - like I said, I lurve Eco. Though I'm stalled on the first chapter of Baudolino. []

[ 10-29-2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Which KC album, WT ? I'll have to check that out.

Celebrían - I remember quite well the uncomfortable atmosphere in my college 20th-century American literature class, when the professor discussed certain chapters of Gravity's Rainbow. Dozens of (supposedly) progressive and bohemian 20-somethings, staring awkwardly at the floor, or their feet. [] Any discussion of the novel at MT would have to be sensitive to that, but I'd still really like to start a thread for GR. Or maybe we can use this one, if it's OK with The Thief .

[ 10-29-2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Gna ]

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

The one with the giant screaming mouth on the cover !! Check out Episode 14 in that Modern Word Pynchon website.

- - - - - - -

- The pyramid - it's opening up !

- Which one ?

- The one with the ever-widening hole in it !

Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

quote:
WT’s practice focuses on Employee Benefits Law and Business Law. He has counseled business entities and non-profit employers...
What's a non-profit employer! LOL! It doesn't sound very profitable []

No I didn't think you were dissing Semiotics. After all, it's the only real original thought (together with pragmatism) that has come from the states []

I'm stuck in the first chapter of that book as well -- the Danish translation of that italicised beginning is awful! I don't think I'll ever get through it []

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Non-profits are churches, charities, schools, etc. And stop stalking me! []

You forgot jazz, and basketball.

Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Holy metonymy, Batman, how could you forget jazz ???

Does Ornette Coleman qualify as postmodern?

I can only remember what the album cover for Discipline looks like. []

[ 10-29-2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Gna ]

Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

Okay, jazz, basketball, semiotics and pragmatism []

Gna I think this thread is perfect for 'adultish' material - I'm pretty sure that no one ever reads it []

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

The one I'm talking about is from like 1970 - you were probably a gleam in your Da's eyes.

I saw Ornette Coleman in New Orleans last year ! []

E: here ya go.

-

[ 10-29-2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll heed your warning, Tuorandir, and avoid the Pynchon. It made my spirit sick to read his language of Mordor today.
From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Not to mention it's like 9,000 pages. []
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Jazz? Miles Davis.
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Ohhh, In the Court of the Crimson King . An album that proves an ex-boyfriend's theory that any chain music store (Borders, Barnes and Noble, etc.) will stock the same 2 or 3 albums for any given group or artist, no matter how prolific or popular. For KC, it's always the aforementioned screaming mouth album, Discipline , and Red .

If you like Miles Davis, you MUST listen to Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet . I insist. Of course, 'Trane is on that album too.

Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm stuck in his '68-'75 period right now. But I got earlier stuff too, like Birth of the cool, Sketches of Spain, Miles Ahead, Kind of Blue etc. I'm not very fond of his comeback years, though (1981-1991).
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Thief
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 828

posted      Profile for The Thief   Email The Thief   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Music?
Radiohead
Jazz?
I think that the postmodern jazz is just the non diatonic-modal-fusion stuff, lots of stuff thrown together sort of stuff. I don't think miles davis is modern or postmodern...

From: Possum Creek | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony Archive » postmodernism (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help