Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » What did elves who faded look like???
Author Topic: What did elves who faded look like???
Calenlassiel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11356
posted      Profile for Calenlassiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious.
From: Garden of the Lady | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't part of the problem that they could hardly be seen?
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine them as beautiful Elves, if they can be seen...

quote:
'the Lingerers, whose bodily forms may no longer be seen by us mortals, or seen only dimly and fitfully'

(...)

'Moreover, the Lingerers are not houseless, though they may seem to be. They do not desire bodies, neither do they seek shelter, nor strive for mastery over body or mind. Indeed they do not seek converse with Men at all, save maybe rarely, either for the doing of some good, or because they perceive in a Man's spirit some love of things ancient and fair. Then they may reveal to him their forms (through his mind working outwardly, maybe), and he will behold them in their beauty.'

Quotes from Morgoth's Ring

[ 01-16-2012, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Galin ]

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anything like faded jeans?
From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wasn't part of the problem that they could hardly be seen?
[]

I'd have to say, fuzzy, indistinct, ummmm faded....washed out, monochromatic or not, pale, transparent.... where is the thesaurus....

I don't believe they looked like anything. I don't think they could be perceived visually unless, as per the quoted passage already provided, they desired to be. They're more presences, rather than corporeal beings, as I understood it that may or may not be discernable to mortal senses.

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Would they be faded like the Nazgûl?
And what would make them fade? They were still immortal until the end of the world, weren't they?

Is it possible that they'd fade into the other world whether they returned or not?

[ 12-07-2012, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
'Moreover, the Lingerers are not houseless, though they may seem to be. They do not desire bodies, neither do they seek shelter, nor strive for mastery over body or mind. Indeed they do not seek converse with Men at all, save maybe rarely, either for the doing of some good, or because they perceive in a Man's spirit some love of things ancient and fair. Then they may reveal to him their forms (through his mind working outwardly, maybe), and he will behold them in their beauty.'
Reading that brought familiar thoughts of the way Tolkien “explained” the history, or derivation, of contemporary “fairy tales”: Goblins in the dark, trolls under the bridge, the cow jumping over the moon, and benevolent elves appearing only occasionally to help good people. Fairy tale examples might be Geppetto’s and Santa’s helpers.

My interpretation of Galadriel’s description was always both the quote above and the “fairy tale” versions:
quote:
We must depart into the West, or dwindle to a rustic folk of dell and cave, slowly to forget and to be forgotten.
The Elves lost much of their power but not their love for the land and people of honor. Those who stayed diminished: They continued to try, and slowly lost their power, to preserve that which is good.

Edit because my grammar stinks.

[ 12-08-2012, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Aiwrendel ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible they might look a bit like ghosts and be confused for them in later days.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ghosts would be more like the Wights, not "faded elves". Faded elves were quite good at 'trying not to be seen' and I think would be more the whispers one hears on the wind when walking in the woods.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » What did elves who faded look like???
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help