Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Tolkien races corresponding to Real World ages
Author Topic: Tolkien races corresponding to Real World ages
Pippin Toker
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 168
posted      Profile for Pippin Toker   Author's Homepage   Email Pippin Toker   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

Im not quite sure where to put this question.

Do you have any iseas what ages differetn races/cultures corospond to in our world?

The Hobbits seem to be 19th century country persons.

The Rohiri seem to be anglo saxon people.

Are the people of Ghan-Buri-Ghan stoneage?

Kim

From: Denmark | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought of them as aboriginal.
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Numenoreans are Atlantans.
The Far Haradrim and Khand(rim?) are black/negroid Africans?
The Easterlings are what, Slavic/Turkic peoples maybe?
Some of Saruman's servants with the "slant-eyes" are perhaps of the mongoloid ethnicity?

Is any of this politically correct? Am I going straight to h... e... double hockey sticks?

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ya screwed up again, pi. []

The Numenoreans were like the Atlanteans, not Atlantans, and the Khand were like the Mongols, not Black Africans.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Snowy, my average is one a day, so I'm good for the rest of the day! []
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Er... it isn't known what the hypothetical Atlanteans were said to look like, is it?
About the Easterlings: I've always wondered about their appearance. Perhaps somebody with more Tolkien knowledge could enlighten me how they looked like?
Also, Slavic people are not in any way related to Turkic people. []

[ 06-26-2009, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

quote:
Slavic people are not in any way related to Turkic people
I know, but they both originated in regions east of the M-e map, as fas as it overlays the real world one.
I guess I should have been more precise by saying "perhaps either the Slavic or the Turkic peoples." []

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the Slavs are believed to have originated somewhere around modern Ukraine (cannibals in Pripyet swamps...), which is AFAIK still on the ME map. Turkic people come from Northeast and northern central Asia.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
About the Easterlings: I've always wondered about their appearance. Perhaps somebody with more Tolkien knowledge could enlighten me how they looked like?
I've always felt that they probably looked like muslims during thier heyday aka Dark Ages. Only problem with that is the fact that they are heavily armored in the books and Muslims were never heavily armored. Or else they could possibly have been like the Persians. Come to think of it, they fit the description almost perfectly.
From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mablung
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11231
posted      Profile for Mablung   Email Mablung   Edit/Delete Post 
I always imagined that the Southrons were Muslims: they lived north of Africa and used scimitars.
Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mablung
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11231
I was just reading some information that scimitars developed, and were used, almost exclusively among cultures pertaining to modern Islamic reagions (Middle East, Turkey, Egypt etc). This might indicate that the Southrons related to them.

[ 08-20-2009, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Mablung ]

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
Scimitars were developed by Steppe people in North Asia/Eastern Europe in early Medieval times. They were made popular mainly by Turkic people. The early Muslims (at the time of the Muslim expansion) didn't know scimitars - they used straight swords. Some forms of scimitar-like swords were already used in Antiquity, though.

[ 08-21-2009, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

Mablung
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11231
Scimitars were used in the South Asian, North African and Middle Eastern areas literally thousands of years prior to the beginning of either Islamic or medieval eras, largely by Semites.
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
Care to provide some sources?

Also, please bear in mind that not every curved sword may be classified as "scimitar". AFAIK this word specifically refers to the swords carried mostly by Turks/Mongols and later also by Arabians and Europeans. When Tolkien mentions "scimitars", he certainly doesn't refer to swords such as Kopis/Falcata, Yatağan, or the Southern Indian or Southeast Asian types.

Mablung
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11231
quote:
Care to provide some sources?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scimitar
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Scimitar
http://jss.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/pdf_extract/3/4/327
http://www.bukisa.com/articles/70020_the-agile-scimitar
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Scimitar

Scimitars date well-back to almost 2000 B.C. in that region.

quote:
Also, please bear in mind that not every curved sword may be classified as "scimitar". AFAIK this word specifically refers to the swords carried mostly by Turks/Mongols and later also by Arabians and Europeans. When Tolkien mentions "scimitars", he certainly doesn't refer to swords such as Kopis/Falcata, Yatağan, or the Southern Indian or Southeast Asian types.
More like Egypt and the Middle East, which correspond to the Northern African regions of Near Harad in which the Southrons dwelled.

However, I will note that the Orc-Chieftain in Moria (the one who stabbed Frodo with his spear) also had a scimitar (which he "swept out" when Sam cut the head off his spear): but there isn't great mention of other orcs having such weapons, so Sauron could have gotten it by trading with Southrons.

[ 08-23-2009, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Mablung ]

Mablung
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11231
Also:
quote:
Are the people of Ghan-Buri-Ghan stoneage?

They seem to be primitive hunter-gatherer types, so they are probably some remnant of Paleolithic (i.e. early stone-age) tribesmen.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In my mind, I related Near Harad to north Africa & Far Harad with mid & South Africa. Khand always hit me more as Asiatic kung-fu types, and Easterlings as NW Asian/NE European types.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
Sounds reasonable. Pretty much what I associate them with; indeed, the Haradrians appear more Berber than Arab in my mind.
Although one could, of course, try to define "NE European" and "NW Asian" closer. Moreover, I'd rather associate Far Harad with Central Africa only - Bantu a.k.a. "Blacks" (especially those that tend to be very tall, like the "Men of Far Harad") are from C Africa, not Southern Africa; furthermore S Africa is different in terms of nature.

[ 10-14-2009, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
True, but I didn't split hairs as I was only expressing wide generaliaties that my mind has about a Middle Earth overlay of Earth and the peoples thereof.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Tolkien races corresponding to Real World ages
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help