Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Was Tolkien an environmentalist? (Page 2)
Author Topic: Was Tolkien an environmentalist?
Grimwulf Stormspear
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5157
posted      Profile for Grimwulf Stormspear   Email Grimwulf Stormspear   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I’m not sure, Wiki, but I think the term “anachronism” refers to your bizarre claim that the “ ‘Rings of Power’ was [sic] a metaphor witnessed during … the Cold War via empowering and beguiling upstart-factions within sovereign nations, to gain imperial puppets.” [] Of course, I’m not even sure what that sentence means (if anything), so I could be wrong. []
From: The central lake-lands of the Great Peninsula. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I’m not sure, Wiki, but I think the term “anachronism” refers to your bizarre claim that the “ ‘Rings of Power’ was [sic] a metaphor witnessed during … the Cold War via empowering and beguiling upstart-factions within sovereign nations, to gain imperial puppets.” Of course, I’m not even sure what that sentence means (if anything), so I could be wrong.
I said "witnessed during," but I didn't give any names.

Newtonian physics was a principle witnessed during space-shuttle's liftoff-- by your definition, THAT's an "anachronism" too.

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimwulf Stormspear
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5157
posted      Profile for Grimwulf Stormspear   Email Grimwulf Stormspear   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah… []

I’m still not sure what you mean. [] I’m not sure your sentence means anything at all. [] You see, a metaphor is “a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance.”

So, when say that the “ ‘Rings of Power’ was [sic] a metaphor witnessed during … the Cold War via empowering and beguiling upstart-factions within sovereign nations, to gain imperial puppets,” it’s not really clear what you mean. [] Metaphors are used by writers & speakers to represent something else. So, who was using the Rings of Power as a metaphor, and what id they represent? [] And what does it mean to say that metaphor was “witnessed”?

At the very least, you could have been clearer. [] You could have said that “the Rings of Power were later appropriated by some commentators as a metaphor for [insert bizarre comparison here],” although I have no idea what relevance that would have to your original point, which I think may have had something to do with Creation & Design.

From: The central lake-lands of the Great Peninsula. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah…

I’m still not sure what you mean.

"Universe..." "one song."

Fits in nicely with "The Music of the Ainur" (Angels).

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I see that you still don't understand what I meant with "anachronism" - have a look in the dictionary []
And your example ( [] ) with Newton shows it very well []

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder where the ents were when the Numenoreans were clear-cutting Eriador for their ship-building? The tale of Aldarion and Erendis has a bit on forest preservation vs use.

anachronism

1: an error in chronology; especially : a chronological misplacing of persons, events, objects, or customs in regard to each other
2: a person or a thing that is chronologically out of place; especially : one from a former age that is incongruous in the present
3: the state or condition of being chronologically out of place

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One interesting point is that Tolkien does have climate change in the Silmarillion, but in that case it is Middle-earth cooling as Morgoth destroyes the environment around Angband after it's siege it creates colder summers and freezing winters for those in Beleriand.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you think Angband created colder weather in Beleriand? Surely it wasn't due to the output of CO2. More likely due to the particulates blotting out the sun, much like volcanoes do. Of course, Tolkien seemed to write in that a certain amount of weather control was asserted by the evil beings, with the aforementioned bit on Angband, and by the Witch King in Carn Dum.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
I see that you still don't understand what I meant with "anachronism" - have a look in the dictionary
I assume you meant that string-theory wasn't developed at the time of Tolkien's writing, but again space-shuttles weren't developed in Newton's era either, so there's nothing "anachronistic" about my comparing the Ainur's Music to string-theory.

If you're suggesting that Tolkien wasn't referring poetically to string-theory, then congratulations.

Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I assume you meant that string-theory wasn't developed at the time of Tolkien's writing, but again space-shuttles weren't developed in Newton's era either, so there's nothing "anachronistic" about my comparing the Ainur's Music to string-theory.
Logically wrong. The concept of Newtonian physics did exist before space-shuttles, while the concept itself of Cold War didn't when Tolkien wrote about the Rings.
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
In this context, "Rings of power" was a metaphor witnessed during (but not allegory for) the Cold War via empowering and beguiling upstart-factions within sovereign nations, to gain imperial puppets.

The key phrase is "a metaphor witnessed during (but not allegory for)".
Tolkien was expressing to an age-old political phenomenon, which long predated the Berlin Blockade-- but which became particularly prevalent with the turn of the century in bringing about WWI.

Grimwulf Stormspear
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5157
Does Witch King ever contribute anything, well, useful? [] [] []
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some people consider volume useful. He is a rather prolific poster and he keeps people posting to threads like this one.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Was Tolkien an environmentalist? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help