Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » How long elves stays in mandos (Page 2)
Author Topic: How long elves stays in mandos
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That has nothing to do with Fëanor. Finwë can't return because he agreed on Míriel's return. But one consequence of the "Statute of Finwë and Míriel" is that no Living can have two spouses "awake and alive" in the same time. By accepting Míriel's return, Finwë condamned himself to stay in Mandos till the End of Time. That was an act of love, somehow []
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcuin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5185
posted      Profile for Alcuin   Author's Homepage   Email Alcuin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I prepared this to post, and Eluchil beat me to it. I second his position.

Finwë’s fate had nothing to do with Fëanor. When Míriel Þerindë refused to be rehoused, Finwë requested and received permission to wed Indis of the Vanyar. Finwë was subsequently murdered by Morgoth and went to Mandos. Míriel decided that she wished to leave Mandos and return to be among the living, and because Finwë could not be in the world of the living with two spouses, he elected to remain in Mandos so that the fëa and hröa of Míriel might be rejoined.

From: New England | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Still seems a bit harsh. He had his reasons for marrying twice. Maybe he should divorce one of his wives on the grounds that the other is still alive. Does he have any grounds for parole or is he condemmed for ever with no hope? On the other hand perhaps he likes it in the Halls of Mandos.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Do you realise you're talking about divorce in the world created by such a kind of Catholic as Tolkien ?
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm glad that I made you laugh [] Yes, I don't think that I had considered that point. However in a society which had no religion, church, priests could marriage could really be considered as Tolkien as invisgested it. I mean who could have blessed them in the first place? and I don't think that any mortal, in particullar one living in real history had a problem quite like Finwe's
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
Marriages were celebrated by the names of Eru, Varda and Manwë.

Elvish marriage was quite different than Mannish marriage :
quote:
The Eldar wedded once only in life, and for love or at the least by free will upon either part.

[...]

According to the laws of the Eldar this betrothal was bound then to stand for one year at least, and it often stood for longer. During this time it could be revoked by a public return of the rings, the rings then being molten and not again used for a betrothal. Such was the law; but the right of revoking was seldom used, for the Eldar do not err lightly in such choice.

Laws and Customs among the Eldar.

[ 11-26-2006, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Eluchil ]

Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Eldar wedded once only in life
Of course Finwe is the exception. I think somewhere I may have read about how this was "allowed" (if so, I think it was in "Morgoth's Ring"), but I have no idea of the specifics. Perhaps someone more familiar with HoME than I could provide an answer.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcuin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5185
posted      Profile for Alcuin   Author's Homepage   Email Alcuin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mandos permitted Finwë’s remarriage, but only because Míriel refused to leave the Halls of Mandos to return to be among the living. (Morgoth’s Ring, “The Later Quenta Silmarillion”, “Laws and Customs among the Eldar”, “Of the Severance of Marriage”, p 225) This is retold in a later version. (Op cit., pp 246-247) Later, when Míriel decided that she wished to return to the living, Finwë renounced his right to return to be among the living so that Míriel might be set free from Mandos. (“Of the Severance of Marriage”, pp 249-250; “Of the Silmarils and the Darkening of Valinor”, “Of Finwë and Míriel”, footnote 9, pp 263-265.)
From: New England | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
More precisely, this is not Mandos who permitted it, but Manwë through Mandos (as Doomsman of the Valar).
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And after a loooong committee meeting, isn't that so? []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
Yeah ! Thanks Ilúvatar, the Valar don't have to eat or to drink []
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I thought it had something to do with [] Miriel's [] situation. Thanks guys.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcuin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5185
quote:
Yeah ! Thanks Ilúvatar, the Valar don't have to eat or to drink []
quote:
And after a loooong committee meeting, isn't that so? []

No, no: in committee meetings, it’s how long the participants can go between bathroom breaks.
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful Dilbert doesn't sue you for using that.
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Miriel must have been hell on Finwe's self-esteem. When he was alive she wished to be dead. When he died, she wished to return to life. Poor guy.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good one []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » How long elves stays in mandos (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help