Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Where did the Dúnedain live? (Page 3)
Author Topic: Where did the Dúnedain live?
Pelranius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4629
posted      Profile for Pelranius   Email Pelranius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Dunedain living near the Grey Havens might be too much of a stretch, but that allows them to give their families a safe place to stay.
From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
voanor
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5224
posted      Profile for voanor   Email voanor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well me know that they were in the eridor/arnor area prehaps the may of been encamped around bree, although they seem to be more of a secretive people's so i m not sure about that. prehaps they are similar to the rangers of ilithilian, with hidden places like the waterfull ect.
From: Truro .cornwall. uk. | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saruman's Secret Agent
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5552
posted      Profile for Saruman's Secret Agent   Email Saruman's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! This has to be the best in-depth read about the Rangers I've come across! In reading what was written, how do you see the Dúnedain Rangers procreating? Did the Dúnedain women reside in Bree, Tharbad, etc. to raise children in a noblish domestic sense (like a certain fanfic I just read on another board) or were they more rustic and lived in the wild with the men? I know the line of Isildur resided in Rivendell, but would have any of the rest of the Dúnedain reside there also? Surely to have "thirty gathered in haste" at the time of the War of the Ring, there has to be at least a few more who didn't make the ride south. this means there had to be enough men and women of prime age to love, marry and bear children all through the years of 1974 to 3019. I'm thinking some may have resided in the outskirts of Chetwood, in the angle, and possibly other places in Rhuadur, Cardolan, and Arthedain, hidden, It does still raise a question on how they managed to keep their gene pool healthy by having the men and women of diffferent Dúnedain families mingle.
From: Midwest | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tough problem! I had some theories regarding intermingling here that you might be interested in:
The Decline and Fall of Arnor.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelranius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4629
posted      Profile for Pelranius   Email Pelranius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am of the opinion that the surviving Dunedain of Carlodan, and probably some from Arnor, might have moved south to Gondor after the Plague, which wouldn't have wiped out everyone (it was stated in the appendices that the plague lessened in severity as it went north)

Of course, it's just random speculation on my part, and I don't have any of the books with me at college.

From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thorin, your Decline and Fall of Arnor theories are quite well written and thought out. Fortunately there is the whole Arnor and the Northern Kingdom part of the story that has not been contaminated by the movies. The whole issue of what Sarumann's Secret Agent mentions about the women of the Dunedain does lead to some interesting speculation. An aside, Sarumann's SA, that fanfic you mention is not perhaps Valandil's over on TORC? I read that one and thought it too sterile and bland. It made more sense if it were in Gondor, not in the wilder northern kingdom.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobMan123
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11384
posted      Profile for RobMan123   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The possibility of the Dúnedain of the North having a number of Henneth Annûn-style refuges dotted around Eriador is probable in my opinion. While Henneth Annûn seems to have been more for military use I'm sure that a similar place could be adapted more for family life. Also there wouldn't be the same great need for such secrecy in Eriador as there would be so near to Mordor.

Or it is possible that a bigger and slightly grander version of Henneth Annûn could have been used - with a hall of sorts for the Chieftain of the Dúnedain. They seem to have been a very understated people that wouldn't have minded such a setup.

[ 02-05-2013, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: RobMan123 ]

Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, possible. Where exactly would this place be? I'm thinking the Hills of Evendim or maybe the western Ettenmors, or a secret entrance underground in the Weather Hills.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Of course it is only speculation since Tolkien himself never really said. An interesting theory posed by Luthien on page 1 that it could have ben possible to have lived among the people of Bree. Of course 'the Angle' may have been remote but I have a hard time visualizing there being a big enough settlement to have the daily life of enough families go on there with sustenance through the centuries without being known to others. Hmm... lots of speculation on this matter.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have often thought that the idea that no-one in Bree knew what the Dunedain were doing was a bit unrealistic, there must have been some intermingling and even some inter-marriage possibly.

[ 08-19-2014, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Where did the Dúnedain live? (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help