Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Who owned Tom's brooch for Goldberry?
Author Topic: Who owned Tom's brooch for Goldberry?
Thalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4172
posted      Profile for Thalion   Email Thalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Who owned the brooch that Bombadil took for Goldberry at the Barrow Downs?

For those of you who don't know what I am referring to:
quote:
He chose for himself from the pile a brooch set with blue stones, many-shaped like flax flowers or the wings of blue butterflies. He looked long at it, as if stirred by some memory, shaking his head, and saying at last:
'here is a pretty toy for Tom and for his Lady! Fair was she wo long ago wore this on here shoulder. Goldberry shall wear it now, and we will not forget her!'

I will make a few assumptions from this. First, This Jewelry had to have been worn by a fairly important person, or had to play an important role itself in history for Tom to be aware of it's owner. I will also assume it is jewelry made by the exiled Numenorean's as Tom would not know of them otherwise, nor would they be in a barrow wights down. Other than that I cannot help with this one, as I don't know who's it was.

[ 03-15-2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Thalion ]

From: Hiding in a Filing Cabinet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I remembered correctly - there was a discussion about this earlier, in the LOTR forum; perhaps you would like to check it: The Blue Brooch
It was said (in Appendix A of the LOTR) that, the barrow where the hobbits were imprisoned was the grave of the last Prince of Cardolan. So, my guess would be that, the brooch belonged to his wife or some other close female relative.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Dúnedain of Cardolan took refuge in the Barrow-Downs during one of the attacks by Angmar (the barrows were not yet inhabited by evil wights: they were first built by the ancestors of the Edain, at an inconceivably remote period, before they crossed the Blue Mountains into Beleriand). The Dúnedain were aided by Tom Bombadil. Hence he could have known the rulers of this lost kindom quite intimately.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe an extremely beautiful Cardolanian princess had worn it. Maybe she would have been queen of Cardolan had the line endured. Tom had obviously known her, or seen her at least.

Edit: Unfortunately Emelder's link doesn't work. Here is the thread he refers to. Unfortunately there is little more there than there is here. So it appears that this was just a bit of story that Tolkien never visited again.

[ 06-01-2013, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Who owned Tom's brooch for Goldberry?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help