Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Question about the escape from the wood elves. (Page 1)
Author Topic: Question about the escape from the wood elves.
Hecubus2000
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 488
posted      Profile for Hecubus2000   Email Hecubus2000   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When Bilbo and the dwarves were escaping from the wood elves, why didn't the spell of the river have any effect on them?
Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose Gamgee - home again
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 404
posted      Profile for Rose Gamgee - home again   Email Rose Gamgee - home again   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you are talking about the part I think you are, they were in a boat. Perhaps you have to touch the water for the spell to affect you.

------------------
Tolkien's the best, what can I say?

From: USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well the enchanted river that went through mirkwood was the one that made them go to sleep and they took a boat across that one. the river on which they escaped was not enchanted and even still, they rode in barrels down that river. (of course except for Bilbo who rode on top of a barrel.)
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hecubus2000
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 488
posted      Profile for Hecubus2000   Email Hecubus2000   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I was just curious. I Didn't know that they were two different rivers. Thanks for the help.
Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think the enchanted river is a tributary to the river connecting to Long Lake. It bugs me that the rest of the water doesn't get affected.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mb the water of the (much) bigger Forest River dilute it so much, it isn't harmfull anymore. Or mb it's purified by the influence of the Elven kingdom.
And keep in mind: it's a kids story, with many faery-tale characteristics, so not everything is as logical as we wanted it to be.

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of the Numenoreans
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 485
posted      Profile for King of the Numenoreans   Email King of the Numenoreans   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is to logical, the key word is enchanted. So that river and ONLY that river is enchanted, it is magic, so it would automatically stop when it flowed into the Long Lake. Do you get my drift - magic can do anything
From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

So is it the water itself that is enchanted, or is the bed through which the water flows? Perhaps the the river bed's enchantment requires the water as a host to affect its victim. I see........

This message has been edited by Tuor on 04-23-2001 at

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Meneldil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 417

posted      Profile for Meneldil   Email Meneldil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Or so he thinks...
From: Guildford, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bungo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 278

posted      Profile for Bungo   Email Bungo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of elevating The Hobbit too much, if that's possible, I think the Enchanted River had the same properties found in The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson.

In those stories, the whole land was under a horrible spell which was geographically limited and had boundaries, but the land itself had nothing to do with it. It emanated from a specific source which had to be dealt with.

In the same way, I imagine the enchanted river to be under a certain influence, similar to a force field, which ends at the point where it joins the Forest River, but has nothing to do with the water itself. However, touching the water that is flowing through its field will put you to sleep.

If you'd like to see the thesis I wrote on this subject for my Master's Degree, just send me a self-addressed, stamped envelope and a hundred U.S. dollars.

------------------
Measure thy life by loss and not by gain
not by the wine drunk but by the wine poured forth
For love's strength standeth in love's sacrifice
And they who suffer most have most to give

From: Kowloon, Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dingalen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 330
posted      Profile for Dingalen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gandalf & Tuor - if you check the map in the Hobbit, you will easily see that the enchanted river is in fact a tributary of the forest river. And as you will also notice, the enchanted river's source is Dol Guldur! Which is most likely the source of the river's dangerous enchantment.
(Somehow Bungo's force field theory sounds too much of radiation radius to me - I think the enchantment was in the water.)
And it was getting weaker the further it got from Dol Guldur, because it was unnatural and was diluted, absorbed by the forest or broken up during its flow through mirkwood.

From: Somewhere in the Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

That would also explain the dark nature of the forest. Perhapst the 'good' elven magic help purify the water!

I like that version much better than the enchanted river bed.

Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And as you will also notice, the enchanted river's source is Dol Guldur!
Er, no it isn't! Dol Guldur is located in the far south of Mirkwood and the Enchanted River is in the north of the forest originating in the Mountains of Mirkwood. These mountains are in the heart of the spiders territory so could it possibly be that the spiders are somehow responsible for the river being how it is?
From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dolmed is correct... the Enchanted River originates in the Mountains of Mirkwood. The "enchantment" probably would dilute as the river joined the larger Forest River... hence no problem for the Dwarves and Bilbo. []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eryndil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3905

posted      Profile for Eryndil   Email Eryndil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Circumstantial evidence for the elves being responsible for the magical properties of the river:

Falling in the river caused sleep and dreams of feasts [] []
Entering the feasting elves' firelight caused sleep and dreams of feasts [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Bilbo (Bilbo) Bilbo Baggins -
He's only three feet tall!
Bilbo (Bilbo) Bilbo Baggins -
The bravest little hobbit of them all!

From: Salford, UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good call Eryndil []
But how was the river enchanted do you think?

From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elrond
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4242
posted      Profile for Elrond   Email Elrond   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can see the enchanted river being a tributary of the main river in Mirkwood, but if you look at the maps in The Lord of the Rings, you see that the only river that is in Mirkwood is the Anduin River, which runs down the center of Mirkwood and flows down until it gets to Ithillien. The same river also passes Lóthlorien, Amon Hen, and Osgiliath. It is ALSO the same river that Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli sent Boromir's body down.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"A proud member of H.A.A.H.A.A."

From: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boromir- what maps are you looking at?

Anduin flows past the western eaves of Mirkwood, moving south. The Forest River flows south-east, through Mirkwood, to Long Lake... and the Enchanted River flows north-east from the Mountains of Mirkwood to meet the Forest River by Thranduil's halls.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I inhaled. That was the point." -Barack Obama

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elrond
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4242
posted      Profile for Elrond   Email Elrond   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was proven wrong. I got my map from ........ The Lord of the RIngs Risk...... I have no copy on hand...... OK I AM EMBARRASED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"A proud member of H.A.A.H.A.A."

From: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rather tending to like King of the Numenoreans explanation. It makes sense that the magic could only cover a certain area. I think it would be the water that's enchanted, not the bed through which the water flows.

Why would it have made a difference to have only a certain range for the enchanted water? I wonder why it made a difference to whever enchanted it in the first place. Was there some group they wanted to keep out, while still having trade access to another group?

Hmmmmmm...

E: I wouldn't worry too much Boromir of Gondor. We've all made stupid mistakes and that was completely understandable.

[ 02-04-2004, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Roccowen Eilonwyiel ]

From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
JRRT seems to have borrowed the enchanted stream from Esgalduin, the enchanted river in Doriath.

The published Silmarillion:
quote:
Thus it came to pass that her [Melian's] power was withdrawn in that time from the forests of Neldoreth and Region, and Esgalduin the enchanted river spoke with a different voice, and Doriath lay open to its enemies.
I don't know more about the characteristics of Esgalduin at this time though.
From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

I have a question regarding Esgalduin/the Enchanted River... was the magical properties of Esgalduin due to Melian or Thingol? From Herendil's quote, one would assume that it was Melian. Though Thingol had just died, so it could also be attributed to him... and considering Thranduil was able to replicate this later in Mirkwood.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I inhaled. That was the point." -Barack Obama

Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that CT invented the line I quoted above though, but JRRT mentions Esgalduin as an enchanted river in LR, 'A Knife in the Dark':
quote:
There he [Beren] beheld Lúthien singing and dancing in a glade beside the enchanted river Esgalduin
The river was already existent in 'The Tale of Tinúviel' (written 1917) which can be found in The Book of Lost Tales Part II, and there it is even regarded as a stream, unnamed:
quote:
Now his [Tinwelint's] halls were builded in a deep cavern of great size, and they were nonetheless a kingly and a fair abode. This cavern was in the heart of the mighty forest of Artanor that is the mightiest of forests, and a stream ran before its doors, but none could enter that portal save across the stream, and a bridge spanned it narrow and well-guarded.
A river also ran before Thranduil's doors:

TH, 'Flies and Spiders':
quote:
In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their [the Wood-elves'] greatest king. Before his huge doors of stone a river ran out of the heights of the forest and flowed on and out into the marshes at the feet of the high wooded lands.
And there was also a bridge across this river like the one across Esgalduin:

TH, 'Barrels Out of Bond':
quote:
Suddenly the torches stopped, and the hobbit [Bilbo] had just time to catch them [the Wood-elves] up before they began to cross the bridge. This was the bridge that led across the river to the king's doors.
But it appears that the river isn't the enchanted stream; it's the Forest River joint with the enchanted stream, as can be seen in this map of Wilderland:

-

In Doriath there were not really two rivers that approached Menegroth, only Esgalduin, as can be seen in this map of Doriath:

-

But it is quite evident that JRRT either borrowed elements from Doriath for The Hobbit, or he already knew by then that Thranduil 'copied' Menegroth/Doriath when he established his realm in Northern Mirkwood, as is made clear in UT, 'The History of Galadriel and Celeborn':
quote:
Oropher was of Sindarin origin, and no doubt Thranduil his son was following the example of King Thingol long before, in Doriath; though his halls were not to be compared with Menegroth. He had not the arts nor wealth nor the aid of the Dwarves; and compared with the Elves of Doriath his Silvan folk were rude and rustic.
Actually if we combine Thranduil's realm and Lórien we get some sort of a Doriath, because Galadriel also copied off Doriath when she became ruler of Lórinand, but she was the pupil of Melian and therefore was inspired by her and her powers. Thranduil was more like Thingol, though Celeborn was like him too. Perhaps Thranduil's wife was very powerful as well?

[ 02-21-2004, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: Herendil ]

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think this stream is a defensive, elven enchantment cast by or for Thranduil, for although it was a temporary burden to the Dwarves and Bilbo, Bombur's dreams were not of an evil sort and it did not otherwise harm the sleeper. It gave rather benign dreams, of which a feast and an elven king-like entity were the subjects.
quote:
"I was having such beautiful dreams. I dreamed I was walking in a forest rather like this one, only lit with torches on the trees and lamps swinging from the branches and fires burning on the ground; and there was a great feast going on, going on for ever. A woodland king was there with a crown of leaves, and there was a merry singing, and I could not count or describe the things there were to eat and drink."
edit: and these...
quote:
The feasting people were Wood-elves, of course. These are not wicked folk. If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong, even in those days they were wary.
quote:
The next time it had been Thorin who stepped forward, and as the lights went out he fell like a stone enchanted.
quote:
Consequently Thorin was angry at their treatment of him, when they took their spell off him and he came to his senses;

emphasis mine, of course.

[ 12-09-2009, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: pi ]

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hasquaati
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11358
posted      Profile for hasquaati   Email hasquaati   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering what did Bombur eat while under the enchantment spell. How did he gain nourishment, even though he wasn't doing anything. []
Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Question about the escape from the wood elves. (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help