Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Later generations in Middle-earth
Author Topic: Later generations in Middle-earth
Mîrwen Ilúvëanna
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3641

posted      Profile for Mîrwen Ilúvëanna   Email Mîrwen Ilúvëanna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In discussions elsewhere, I have come upon some questions regarding the children of members of the fellowship. If anyone can point me to where I might find this information or answer the questions, I would be grateful...

-How many daughters do Aragorn and Arwen have? It says in the Appendices that they have Eldarion and 'daughters.'

-Does Merry have a child with Estella Bolger? The family trees show no issue from their marriage, but it says in the Appendices that Merry and Pippin 'handed over their goods and offices to their sons and rode away over Sarn Ford, and they were not seen again in the Shire.' That implies that they both had a son, and not just Pippin.

Also, if this is in the wrong place, my profound apologies...

From: Ered Luin | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct that no children are ever listed for Merry... but it seems that he did indeed have a son that became the next Master of Buckland.

I have never come across how many daughters Aragorn had, sorry.

The other characters in LotR that had children were Sam, Pippin, Éomer, Faramir, Éowyn and Imrahil. It seems that Frodo, Gimli and Legolas all remained unmarried and childless.

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mîrwen Ilúvëanna
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3641

posted      Profile for Mîrwen Ilúvëanna   Email Mîrwen Ilúvëanna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Singollo...maybe there is really no answer to such questions.
From: Ered Luin | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Singy, doesn't Legolas mention children? In Lothlorien I think it was...
From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fabian- Are you saying that Legolas was a father during the time of the War of the Ring? I have no recollection of him mentioning any children...

Do you have a quote?

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My books aren't with me right now, but I seem to recall him saying something along the line of the forest making him feel young again, something that he hadn't felt since he walked through mirkwood with his children.
That's about it.

From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The passage (in ‘The White Rider’) referred to looks like this in the English edition:
quote:
‘It is old, very old,’ said the Elf. ‘So old that almost I feel young again, as I have not felt since I journeyed with you children. It is old and full of memory. I could have been happy here, if I had come in days of peace.’

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eitheladar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3691

posted      Profile for Eitheladar   Author's Homepage   Email Eitheladar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] have we uncovered a hilarious translation mistake in the Swedish translation of The Lord of the Rings?

It might be worth starting a thread discussing all of the amusing translation mistakes in Tolkien's works worldwide... the old (1978) Hebrew translation of LotR has quite a few.

From: Israel | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

So it would seem.

Not as hilarious as the first swedish translation of course, but still...

Beren
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 38
posted      Profile for Beren   Email Beren   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mîrwen Ilúvëanna said:
quote:
-How many daughters do Aragorn and Arwen have? It says in the Appendices that they have Eldarion and 'daughters.'
I don't think it is ever mentioned anywhere in the writings, but this has been the realm of fanfics as to how many children Aragorn and Arwen had.
From: Northwest USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Later generations in Middle-earth
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help