Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Was Arwen a reincarnation of Tinuviel?
Author Topic: Was Arwen a reincarnation of Tinuviel?
Aerin
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1509
posted      Profile for Aerin   Email Aerin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard this question asked many times, but no one seems to have a real answer for it. Could Arwen have been a reincarnation of Tinuviel, or perhaps of Luthien?

They're somewhat similar, and their lives run in the same direction.

From: Spain | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Boromir's Woman
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1528

posted      Profile for Boromir's Woman   Email Boromir's Woman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Luthien chose a mortal life and the fate of men after death was not known to any save Iluvatar. I would think that would mean no mortal could be reincarnated.

Elves might could have been reincarnated. Tolkien decided later that Glorfindel was sent back after his death in Gondolin. But whether being "sent back" after death is the same as reincarnation, I don't know.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They were reincarnated in the sense that they were eventually given back their hroa (bodies), with a few exceptions, but the idea that they were born into their own children is and was an archaic one which was totally rejected in TOlkiens latter work on the legendarium.

no, she isn't

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
besides she was no longer immortal or "longeval" as she suffered the fate of man and as according to TOlkien that was the essential difference( the fate of the fea[soul]) between the quendi and edain she in essence became human
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 438
posted      Profile for Thorondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Arwen was, however, a decendent of Luthien, thus gaining her famed resemblance "the old-fashioned way".

Another way to express what Fingolfin has said is that Elves are not re-incarnated as a new person. An elf returns from Mandos as the same person he or she was prior to death. Luthien cannot be re-incarnated (at least in the elfin sense, who knows what happens to the souls of mortals), but if she could, she would return as Luthien.

From: The Vale of Silicon | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beleg Arcofirme
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1573
posted      Profile for Beleg Arcofirme   Author's Homepage   Email Beleg Arcofirme   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly the elves could "to return of the death", but the destination that they had was very different to the men´s destiny.
The truth I don´t think that if an immortal opted for the destination of the men (or something similar), could have something of the elves destiny.

From: Colombia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tace
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1578
posted      Profile for tace   Author's Homepage   Email tace   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how Tolkien viewed reincarnation, but in the spiritual world there is a belief that might be relevant. If you are mortal, you are born, you live, you die and you reincarnate. If your immortal you live all your lives at once, and when you die, that's it, you've had it and your no more.

and now my take taking the above into consideration...

Because Luthien chose a mortal life, half way into her immortal life, she was entitled to a few more reincarnations to make up for it. But unless Arwen was destined to also become a mortal reguardless of how she felt about it (as she really only had half an immortal life to make up for what Luthien missed), she would have been born mortal (the reincarnaton, not Arwen herself).

The mind boggles.

From: australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien: Was Arwen a Reincarnation of Luthien

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Isildur of the Númenóreans ]

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel Alagernilwen
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1733
posted      Profile for Miriel Alagernilwen   Author's Homepage   Email Miriel Alagernilwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
maybe not reincarnation but jes so happened to share the same fate? i.e falling for a mortal n chose to lead a mortal life?
From: Oz | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mirkgirl
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1572
posted      Profile for Mirkgirl   Email Mirkgirl   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think the whole idea of reincornations originated from her beauty and the wish of the elves to have the most beautiful back. Her fate just deepened this idea, but no she wasn't.

[ 02-05-2002, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Mirkgirl ]

From: Bulgaria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master of Doom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3204
posted      Profile for Master of Doom   Email Master of Doom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Could Arwen have been a reincarnation of Tinuviel, or perhaps of Luthien?
Just wanted to say they're the same person.
From: Philadelphia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

posted      Profile for Gollum the great   Email Gollum the great   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I want to know is, did Arwen and Luthien share a resemblance, or did they actually look identical?
From: canberra , australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
From Letter #144 (25 April 1954):
quote:
Both Elrond (and his daughter Arwen Undómiel, who resembles Lúthien closely in looks and fate) are descendants of Beren and Lúthien; and so at very many more removes is Aragorn.
From Letter #153 (September 1954):
quote:
Arwen is not a 're-incarnation' of Lúthien (that in the view of this mythical history would be impossible, since Lúthien has died like a mortal and left the world of time) but a descendant very like her in looks, character, and fate.

[ 02-16-2003, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: Maerbenn ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The Legendarium Project

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master of Doom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3204
posted      Profile for Master of Doom   Email Master of Doom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought this might interest you, on Tolkien abd his wife's tomb stone, Beren is carved under the good professor's name, and Luthien is carved under his wife's name.
From: Philadelphia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
... a very close gene-pattern I'd say.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone see both of them?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have.... at the same time.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have.... at the same time.
*Faithfull wonders if the nutmeg has gotten to Snowy, or maybe shrooms . . . [] *
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did anyone see both of them?
Wouldn't Galadriel have seen Luthien in Doriath?
And she was Arwen's grandmother, so I think she would have seen both them.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, of course, thank you. Might Celeborn have done as well?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Was Arwen a reincarnation of Tinuviel?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help