Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » What were the Palantiri made of? (Page 3)
Author Topic: What were the Palantiri made of?
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Also G2:

Tolkien Gateway states: Only Elendil was able to use it [The Elendil-stone] to look west across the Sea and see the Undying Lands.

But from The Road Goes Ever On, published by JRRT in 1967.
quote:
"The High-Elves (such as did not dwell in or near the Havens) journeyed to the Tower Hills at intervals to look afar at Eressea (the Elvish isle) and the Shores of Valinor, close to which it lay. . . .
No doubt Gildor and his companions (Vol. I., Chap. 3), since they appear to have been going eastward, were Elves living in or near Rivendell returning from the palantir of the Tower Hills. On such visits they were sometimes rewarded by a vision, clear but remote, of Elbereth, as a majestic figure, shining white, standing upon the mountain Oiolosse (S. Uilos)

I always book-check anything I find on the internet.
From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So do I, but I don't have the book with me right now []
In the same article they say: Even after the fall of Arnor, Wandering Companies of Elves made pilgrimages to visit the Towers and see the Stone, in order to catch a glimpse of Varda. One such company, led by Gildor Inglorion just returning from Elostirion, was encountered by Frodo, Sam and Pippin on September 24, T.A. 3018., so they seem to contradict themselves. Maybe what they mean is that Elendil was the only Man who could use it. But it's not clear. Strangely enough, as a reference to the "Only Elendil..." sentence they give the very chapter you quoted [] . I'll do some research on this when I'm back home.

I don't think the Osgiliath-stone would roll into the sea. It was very heavy and besides, the ruined bridge and the Dome of Stars fell into the river in the same place, so it likely just got stuck. []

If I were Aragorn, I'd try to bend the Anor-stone to my will. If there were two palantiri 'working', he could communicate with, say, Faramir in Ithilien/someone in Arnor/...

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think the Osgiliath-stone would roll into the sea. It was very heavy and besides, the ruined bridge and the Dome of Stars fell into the river in the same place, so it likely just got stuck.
Yes, it would be likely that it would sink into the silt a short ways downstream and be covered over by lighter sands and stones. Of course, some variables would be the river water levels, like Summer/Autumn low flow vs Spring runoff, or time/year of drought vs a time/year of heavy flooding, etc. affecting the current when the stone landed in the river. Still, I couldn't see it "rolling" too far downstream in any case.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so they seem to contradict themselves
They DO! I read that part of course, but just gave the “Elendil only” quote to show that the internet cannot always be trusted.

The power of fast-flowing water is TREMENDOUS. I can picture The Stone rolling down-river depending on the variables that Snowdog gives.
quote:
And it was said that ever after, if any man looked in that Stone, unless he had a great strength of will to turn it to other purpose, he saw only two aged hands withering in flame.
Yes, I reckon Elessar HAD that “great strength of will” necessary to bend the ruined Stone to his purposes. But whether this strength was needed upon each use would it be worthwhile? And would the damaged Stone, even then, have its former powers? Interesting!
I reckon it’s possible that he didn’t use it and had it laid upon the scorched bones of Denethor in the Hallows of Minas Tirith.

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why Denethor's hands appear in the palantir...

quote:
And would the damaged Stone, even then, have its former powers?
If "he had a great strength of will to turn it to other purpose", this purpose being using it to talk to someone else, I'd say it would work...
From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

quote:
They were perfect spheres, appearing when at rest to be made of solid glass or crystal deep black in hue.

[] The important word is 'appearing'. We don't know for sure whether they were really made of one of those substances.

The only-Elendil sentence is definitely false. Maybe they just got it backwards: "Elendil was only able to use it to look west" would make sense...

[ 08-29-2014, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: Gollum Gollum ]

The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
Yeah, could be G2.

Bad sentence structure perhaps?

All the more reason to double-check anything found on the internet.

Cheers []

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » What were the Palantiri made of? (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help