Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Flora and Fauna of Middle Earth
Author Topic: Flora and Fauna of Middle Earth
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
An attempt to collect and catalog all references to plants/animals in Middle Earth.

Flora: Elm, Hemlock, Wood-Parsley, Pine, Fir, Willow, Water-Lilies, Harts-Tongue, Whortle-Berry, Poplars, Mallorn

Fauna: Mew, Swan, Squirrel, Deer, Hawk, Eagle

These are but a few of the references throughout the texts.

Can you add some more?

From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jóhnny, the Jester
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 579

posted      Profile for Jóhnny, the Jester   Email Jóhnny, the Jester   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
FLORA: lillies, dandlions, tulips and roses

FAUNA: wolf, gulls and thats about all that i can think of

From: Q-Tip | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Animals

Apes -> are mentioned as living in the southern regions of Middle and the name is used by orcs as an insult

Bats-> are mentioned as aiding the orcs inthe battle of five armies

Bears-> one word, Beorn

Bees-> are mentioned at beorns house

Cats->

Cows
Crows
Deer
Dogs
Eagles
Elephants
Fish
Flies
Gnats
Gulls
Horses
Hounds
Oliphaunts
Ponies
Rabbits
Rats
Ravens
Sea-gulls
Serpents
Sheep
Snails
Snakes
Spiders
Squirrels
Swans
Thrushes
Wargs
Wolves

Plants:

Ashes
Beeches
Belthil
Birches
Cedars
Culumalda
Dead Tree
Elms
Elven-tree
Firs
Glingal
Holly
Huorns
Laurelin
Lebethron
Lindens
Mallorns
Mellyrn
Nimloth
Oaks
Oiolairë
Old Man Willow
Pines
Rowans
Telperion
Trees of Silver and Gold
Two Trees of the Valar
Two Trees of Valinor
White Tree of Minas Tirith
White Tree of Valinor
Willows
Athelas
Halflings' Leaf
Kingsfoil
Pipe-weed
Strawberries
Asphodel
Eglantine
Elanor
Iris
Niphredil

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose you already had this list somewhere?! That's quite a litany!

Actually I was after identifiable items. Some names, such as Oiolairë, might be difficult to attach to a living or extinct plant.

------------------
He was the Wizard of a thousand kings.
And I chanced to meet him one night wandering.
He told me tales
And he drank my wine.
Me and my magic man kinda feelin' fine.

This message has been edited by Elassar on 05-26-2001 at

From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gram
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 24

posted      Profile for gram   Email gram   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Midges

Fern, barley
Not specifically mentioned, but can be inferred, is:
wheat (at least some of the bread is probably made from wheat flour)
hops (used in the beer brewing process)
grapes (for the wine)

This message has been edited by gram on 05-27-2001 at

From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Does having a preprapared list make the llist of any less value?
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

No one said that! I was only commenting on the length of the post and how rapidly it was posted! I applaud your diligence

------------------
He was the Wizard of a thousand kings.
And I chanced to meet him one night wandering.
He told me tales
And he drank my wine.
Me and my magic man kinda feelin' fine.

Illuvatar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 444
posted      Profile for Illuvatar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's kevlar and olvar

------------------
I am.

Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

Fauna: Larks
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What about those big brambles in Mordor?
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mellon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 402
posted      Profile for Mellon   Email Mellon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
off the top of my head:
vultures - the carrion fowl that came after the battles.
herbs - lots mentioned, don't have the list.
worms - the dragon-types, and the little ones
sparrows and finches are mentioned, for Legolas could discern the difference at a league.

------------------
'Speak, friend, and enter'

From: houston, tx usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When he runs over the snow, Legolas mentions otters.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenobi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 533

posted      Profile for Kenobi   Email Kenobi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Herbs could include Athelas, which were quite popular with Aragorn. Also there was mention of "corns", whether these are New World corns or traditional Cereals i don't know. I believe these crops were grown in Nurn.
From: Stone and Mist | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Quenan List.

PLANTS!!!

------------------
He that knows no history is doomed to repeat it!

From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

!Great list Warg!
Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thx. I go to the Ardalambion site often, but I think that was the first time I went to that link.

------------------
He that knows no history is doomed to repeat it!

From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ockle Burr
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 550

posted      Profile for Ockle Burr   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
fresh from the LotR scramble...

simbelmynë or evermind

From: Connecticut, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mews = gulls = seagulls, so these are really the same thing.

------------------
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
gram said:
quote:
hops (used in the beer brewing process)
I would add Oats & Barley to the list as it too is a grain used in brewing beer. I bet they were a couple primary crops grown in the North Farthing around Oatbarton.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lichen
Larch
Butterfly (purple emperor or black emperor)
Moth (Black)
Already listed but more specifically, Hart (red deer)

Do these unidentified fauna count?
"There were queer noises too, grunts, scufflings, and hurryings in the undergrowth, and among the leaves that lay piled endlessly thick in places on the forest-floor; but what made the noises he could not see."
“...sometimes pairs of yellow or red or green eyes would stare at him from a little distance, and then slowly fade and disappear and slowly shine out again in another place. And sometimes they would gleam down from the branches just above him; and that was most terrifying. But the eyes that he liked the least were horrible pale bulbous sort of eyes. "Insect eyes" he thought, "not animal eyes, only they are much too big."

[ 05-25-2013, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Aiwrendel ]

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Flora and Fauna of Middle Earth
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help