Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Who or what is Tom Bombadil? (Page 7)
Author Topic: Who or what is Tom Bombadil?
Roll of Honor Thorongil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 792

posted      Profile for Thorongil   Email Thorongil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] [] [] *laughs toward MANDOS*

*wonders how Tom could have started the race of the Halflings when they did not even originate near the Shire, but farther east, by the Gladden Fields, while Tom had always lived in the Old Forest.* []

To WiKi, who is to say that Tom and Goldberry were married? Personally I don't believe they were. From reading FotR, we can tell that they not only had separate rooms in Tom's house, but at no time is any sort of romance type thing mentioned. Knowing Tolkien, I would think he would have mentioned something about it if it was there. To be honest, I've always thought that if Tom was not actually Goldberry's father, he was at least more like a father figure to her than a husband. We do know that he had apparently raised her from a baby, so whether he was actually her father or not, he was certainly the only father she had ever known.

Has anyone got any evidence to prove or disprove any of this?

**awaits scathing rebuttal by the Angmarish one.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
I'm a denizen. Athene said so.

From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
posted      Profile for Q   Email Q   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
She did treat him like a child though...

And who says that Tom slept on a bed anyways?

From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thorongil, they get married in the poem ‘The Adventures of Tom Bombadil’:
quote:
But one day Tom, he went and caught the River-daughter,
in green gown, flowing hair, sitting in the rushes,
singing old water-songs to birds upon the bushes.

He caught her, held her fast! Water-rats went scuttering
reeds hissed, herons cried, and her heart was fluttering.
Said Tom Bombadil: ‘Here’s my pretty maiden!
You shall come home with me! The table is all laden:
yellow cream, honeycomb, white bread and butter;
roses at the window-sill and peeping round the shutter.
You shall come under Hill! Never mind your mother
in her deep weedy pool: there you’ll find no lover!’

Old Tom Bombadil had a merry wedding,
crowned all with buttercups, hat and feather shedding;
his bride with forgetmenots and flag-lilies for garland
was robed all in silver-green. He sang like a starling,
hummed like a honey-bee, lilted to the fiddle,
clasping his river-maid round her slender middle.

As a bonus, here are the first two sentences of a very brief outline (published in HoMe VI: The Return of the Shadow) showing Tolkien’s first thoughts for the hobbits’ visit to the house of Tom Bombadil:
quote:
Tom Bombadil rescues them from Willow Man. He says it was lucky he came that way—he had gone to the water-lily pool for some white water-lilies for Goldberry (my wife).

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
Feather shedding? Didn't know he grew feathers...maybe just some down to stuff the bed with.
From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
 -
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorongil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 792

posted      Profile for Thorongil   Email Thorongil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Halion, I stand corrected... I don't know how I forgot about that poem, I know I've read it... []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
I'm a denizen. Athene said so.

From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
My comment about the poem above:

Oh I see...Goldberry whipped Tom into submission with her flogginlillies (flag lilies) that she wound around her neck and flailed with her head. She did this so he would marry her after he called her mother an old Fogetmop (forgetmenot).

She must have given birth to the first hobbit child right when Tom sqeezed her slender middle! [] [] [] [] [] []
And he comes rolling out, laughing a Tom giggery gingle, and all a winglely wingle... []

[ 05-12-2006, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: MANDOS ]

Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely the most thorough analysis of Tom Bombadil on the net can be found on the LOTR Plaza here.

[ 07-12-2006, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: Herendil ]

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
I think a better analysis would be Anton Chekov's "The Nose--" the moral of which is that writers don't always have to make sense!

[ 07-11-2006, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think a better analysis would be Anton Chekov's "The Nose
Oooh, what's Chekhov's "The Nose" about then? Is it similar to Nikolai Gogol's story of the same name?

*thinks Wiki should have googled "Gogol"*

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You want him to Google Gogol?
[]
*goggles*

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The LOTR Plaza is down at the moment.

But I also would like to present an observation (originally presented in Amon Hen recently) to MTers:

quote:
We are told at the Council of Elrond that two of Tom's alternative names are Forn and Orald. ...
So...?
From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Let me translate for everyone...

Forn and Orald together are a scramble of what Tom Bombadil actually is... alittle hint Tolkien left in his works for us to figure out. Did I get that right Herendil? []

I'm notoriously bad at scrambles, let's see...

Dorfornal?
For Ronald?
Lodafrarn?

[]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
ROAR! Fondl...

(No 'e'. Darn it.)

*is also crap at scrambles*
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No dor Ralf!

Wait...

Far Noldor?

Tom is a Noldo that strayed faaar away?

Old Fornar?

I suck at these... *waits for Celebrían to show up*

[ 07-12-2006, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

For Ronald is correct.
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

So he put in Tom just for his own amusement? Still doesn't really explain who or what he invisaged him to be.
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

So... Tom Bombadil is for himself? Amy Ronald? Some Oxford colleague?

Is there any other Ronald in his life that I am missing?

E: Personally I think "Far Noldor" fits better...

[ 07-12-2006, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

But Tom can't really be a Noldo. He's too powerful and... odd.
[]

Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

"Far" is the Scandinavian term for "father"... so obviously Tolkien meant for Tom to be Finwë(father of the Noldor) reincarnated and Goldberry to be Míriel. The Old Forest is (also) obviously therefore the gardens of Lórien/Irmo transplanted to Middle-earth.

Is this passive-aggressive? []

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

No, just bossy.
[]
Interesting theory...

Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

If people do not take anything I post seriously anymore, I would like to point out that this was not my idea; it was presented in Amon Hen by one Mallow Smith. I do not believe in it myself either, but I still thought it would be worth posting. It has been posted on other boards as well.
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

quote:
To my eyes he has always been either a Maia or a different spirit all together. Somone who's one of a kind, in the same way Goldberry is.
Arien the Different-Spirit-Altogether, here.

This is what I think too. []

Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Honnestly, I think this is too easy to take just two of his many names and then to arrive at such a conclusion. Most of all when those names have each their own meaning.
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
You want him to Google Gogol?

*goggles*

*Giggles* []

Actually, I think the best theorization I've seen from literature, is that Bombadil is derived from the Celtic-lore figure of the "unaligned fairy," a type of spirit-being who reputedly came to Earth before the divisions of the others into good and evil-- and so he remains neutral, and uninterested in the affairs of others in this regard.

[ 07-12-2006, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Who or what is Tom Bombadil? (Page 7)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help