Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » What was the Secret Fire that Gandalf said in Moria that he served? (Page 1)
Author Topic: What was the Secret Fire that Gandalf said in Moria that he served?
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one that I never thought about through my first few readings, and afterward I thought I had the right answer but I was wrong.

What was the Secret Fire that Gandalf said in Moria that he served?

The real answer to this should be a history lesson to all those who haven't read the Silmarillion yet!

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iarwain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 84
posted      Profile for Iarwain   Email Iarwain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the Sil and I could be wrong, in fact most probably wrong, but I thought it refered to the elven ring he wore since after all it was the ring of fire.
From: Pembrokeshire | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miturian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 139
posted      Profile for Miturian   Email Miturian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I think it is something in the undying lands, something of the Vala, don't know what, cause I have only read the Silm ones, and that's some time ago.
From: Århus, Denmark | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
posted      Profile for Galdor of the Tree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
could the secret fire refer to Flame Imperishable that was made by Eru and Morgoth tried to capture and keep for himself but it was kept in the center of Eä or something like that
From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Crap, you got to it first.

This message has been edited by Fingolfin of the Noldor on 03-06-2001 at

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Dernhelm
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 234

posted      Profile for Dernhelm   Email Dernhelm   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think mog is on the right track. The "secret fire" of which Gandalf speaks is the Flame Imperishable that is within the mind of Illuvatar.
From: PA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
posted      Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
yep, thats it, and he could use it because of his ring.
From: Valinor | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Nenya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 238

posted      Profile for Nenya   Email Nenya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think that the ring gave him this power. I think he knew how to use the fire before he got the ring, as he is a maia. And as we said in some other thread, the rings didn't get their names from their power but was named after the silmarills.
From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miturian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 139
posted      Profile for Miturian   Email Miturian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Could anyone tell me where exactly in moria he says it?
Cause I don't think have ever noticed it.

------------------
If you haven't been at the buttom,
and climbed all the way op,
then you don't know what you're standing on.

From: Århus, Denmark | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Dernhelm
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 234

posted      Profile for Dernhelm   Email Dernhelm   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gandalf declares it as he's holding the bridge against the Balrog.

quote:

"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass."

From: PA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miturian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 139
Thanks
Iarwain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 84
posted      Profile for Iarwain   Email Iarwain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How is Gandalf able to use this secret flame then?
From: Pembrokeshire | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He doesn't USE the secret flame. He SERVES it.
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But he is a 'wielder of the Flame of Anor'
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anor means Sun-, doesn't it?
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miturian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 139
Yup it does, good view, always just thought of it as Minas Anor.

Carnefin
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 342
posted      Profile for Carnefin   Email Carnefin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere it alludes to the Sun as a symbol of the Secret Fire
From: St Helier, Jersey | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carnefin
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 342
posted      Profile for Carnefin   Email Carnefin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It also says in the frist Chapter of LotR that Gandalf's fame in the Shire was mainly to his skill with fire, smokes and lights.
Then when he lights the fire in the snow storm says himself;
"I have written Gandalf is here in signs that all can read from Rivendell to the mouths of Anduin."
Perhaps he was alluding to his own special talent for fire magic?

From: St Helier, Jersey | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
posted      Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
thats not really alluding, thats pointing out his power. he had Narya, the red ring, which I personally believe enhanced his fire power, if you will
From: Valinor | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think, Gandalf meant, that everybody who knew anything about the use of wizzardy power would notice his "magic".
From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miturian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 139
He had written Gandalf because no one other could have done it, Saruman could, but he was in Isengard for sure. And all others who could too did also have an alibi(forgot how to spell it)
Gandalfs ring wsa to get frienships with, at least when Cirdan surrendred his ring to Gandalf he Said:
"Tak this ring, master, master", he said, "for your labour will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness that yuo taknen upon yourself. For this is The Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill. But as for me, my heart is with the Dea, and I will dwell by the grey shores until the last ship saila. I will await you"

Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

Gandalf was not a servant of Narya nor was he a servant of his skill but he was a servant of Eru and the Valar who were created with the imperishiable flame.
Bungo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 278

posted      Profile for Bungo   Email Bungo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But what exactly does the Flame Imperishable represent? Anyone know?

Is it just the natural fire at the centre of the Earth, and if so, why would Melkor care about it in the least? Or if it is something in the mind of Iluvatar, then what could that be; how could Melkor even dream of getting at it; and what is Gandalf saying when he says he serves it?

------------------
Eldameldor! A laita, laita te!

From: Kowloon, Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

The flame imperishiable is something we could never hope understand. It is an enigma, a paradox, a conundrum, a mystery.
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

The Flame Imperishable is life.

It's the undying cycle of life in the world. It's that thing that lives and grows and spreads like fire. It's kinetic energy, chemical reactions, and laws of nature. It's everything about the world that makes life an inevitable fact of the universe.

Chaos. Order. Life.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » What was the Secret Fire that Gandalf said in Moria that he served? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help