Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Did the Nazgul wear their rings? (Page 1)
Author Topic: Did the Nazgul wear their rings?
Aerendir
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 240
posted      Profile for Aerendir   Email Aerendir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Did the Nazgúl wear their rings?

Well, I've got a few things to say about it, but what do you people have on this?

Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nimruzir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 248

posted      Profile for Nimruzir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The good Professor has this to say:

They\Their\Them = The Ringwraiths
Him\His = Frodo at Weathertop
He = Sauron

Letter # 246 exerpt from Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien

I do not think [i]they could have attacked him with violence, nor laid hold upon him or taken him captive; they would have obeyed or feigned to obey any minor commands of his that did not interfere with their errand - laid upon them by Sauron, who still through their Nine Rings (Which he held) had primary control of their wills.'[/i]

This message has been edited by Nimruzir on 03-02-2001 at

From: Den of Iniquity | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
posted      Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
right. had they had there rings maybe they could have escaped from his power, for they were called to his service by the One Ring, right? and since Sauron no longer had it, if they could take there 9 rings back...
From: Valinor | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miturian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 139
posted      Profile for Miturian   Email Miturian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But he could also just hold them(the rings) in his mind. Held, can also just mean control.
From: Århus, Denmark | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sauron controled the wraiths because he had possession of their rings which he wouldn't need to to do if he had the one ring. I believe there is a reference to that somewhere in Ut sil or lotr I'm not sure
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
posted      Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
exactly as Fingolf states, i think it may be in FoTR, while Aragorn of Galdalf is answering a hobbit (merry or pippin i think) on questions about them
From: Valinor | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some evidence that the Nazgûl have their rings:

quote:
`Some, Galdor,' said Gandalf, `would think the tidings of Glóin, and the pursuit of Frodo, proof enough that the halfling's trove is a thing of great worth to the Enemy. Yet it is a ring. What then? The Nine the Nazgûl keep. The Seven are taken or destroyed.' At this Glóin stirred, but did not speak. `The Three we know of. What then is this one that he desires so much?

FotR - Chapter 2. The Council of Elrond

Seems to me that's pretty specific.

------------------
Marcho Blackwood
#16 Brookshade Close
Bindbale, North Farthing
The Shire

This message has been edited by Marcho Blackwood on 03-16-2001 at

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
wrong! the Nazgul DO NOT have there rings. i know that. they were firstly servants to the one ring, then there own. When Sauron had the one ring, maybe he let them keep them, but without the One, he couldn't control them unless he had there 9.
Maedhros The One Handed
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 253
posted      Profile for Maedhros The One Handed   Email Maedhros The One Handed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why can you say that you are right Full stop without providing any proof??
Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
posted      Profile for Galdor of the Tree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
but how does gandalf know if they wear them? did he have a nice chat with one? also if they were wraiths how could they hold anything includung a ring? you can't call that proof its word twisting. i think what it was supposed to mean was that the 9 are for the nazgul and are kept safe. and you ALL know it! and read the first post by nimruzir its pointless to go on after that

This message has been edited by mog the elf on 03-17-2001 at

From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
why can i say i know? look at the good prof's letters, that says it right there, and even if Tolkien didnt say Sauron held them, then the logic points directly to the answer
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My, my! Temper, Temper!

Wrong? No, the quote and my statement are exactly correct as provided. There is nothing wrong with the quote. The evidence is exactly that, evidence. It is not definitive, it is something to be included in making a determination.

Nimruzir provides the definitive quote, (Thank you for including the letter #, Nimruzir! It made it easy to read in context!) at least if I was on the jury. But all evidence must be placed before them.

------------------
Marcho Blackwood
#16 Brookshade Close
Bindbale, North Farthing
The Shire

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is yes and no. From the folloing passage it seems that Sauron at one time held the ring of the Nazgul in order to assure their allegence to him but after he was totally convience that they were "utterly subject to his will he gave them back(Houghtom Milton Company The War of the Ring, the siege of Gondor, pg 335):

quote:

The Nazgul came once more slaves of the Nine Rings, and to each, since now they were utterly subject to his will, their lord gave again that ring of power he had USED* of old.

*to control them when he didn't have possession of the One Ring perhaps?

This message has been edited by Fingolfin of the Noldor on 03-26-2001 at

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
Well, maybe when Sauron had the One ring, the Nazgul had their Nine, but not since he lost it.
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

But that quote states that he gave them back to the Nazgul after possessing them for a while.
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to Mog, I don't think they would have any difficulty holding the rings. They must have some physical form because they are born by ordinary horses. Also, they can hold weapons, as we know from 'A knife in the dark'. Finally, the rings were more than just physical.

Mithrandir, what evidence can you supply for your opinion?

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
a couple things:
a) The Letters of Tolkien, clearly posted by Nimruzir.

b)logic. now i know all things in tolkien aren't logical, but this works out. The Nazgul are servants of TWO things. The One Ring, and there lust for there own ring. so, without the One to control them, he had to keep the 9. now maybe the Witch-King (Er-Murzor???) held his own ring, for Sauron also had something for him that he desired. power.

c)we (or I) don't specifically know the powers of the 9 rings, but somehow....i just sorta "sense" or get a feel that they don't do to much good once the human aspect of the creature has passed away, sort of an off-the-wall concept...

Nimruzir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 248

posted      Profile for Nimruzir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Let's make this quick; the letter I cited (and as Marcho states when taken in context) is regarding Frodo at Mt. Doom - AFTER the fall of the Witch-King.

In other words; 8 Nazgul remain, but 9 Rings are mentioned as being held.

I'm not sure how much clearer this can be.

This message has been edited by Nimruzir on 03-26-2001 at

From: Den of Iniquity | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

In your post you said that the quote was set at weather top not Mt. doom. According to my quote Sauron held the rings up until about the siege of Gondor when he gave them back, so if you take the former of what you said(since they are contradictary) my opinion can still be considered true.
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
nazgul did not wear there rings during the War of THE RING
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

The how do you explain the quote?
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
is it from H.o.M.E?
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
very excellent point, i didn't think of that, and don't say it vanished, for the One hadn't been destroyed yet (and even if it had, took awhile, like Elvish rings)
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

We don't know that, the men of gondor( or anyone else that we know of) didn't, in fact they probably avoided the Witch-king's things.
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
but it says that....in the book, thats a direct quote i believe.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Did the Nazgul wear their rings? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help