profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » When you discovered LOTR
Author Topic: When you discovered LOTR
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's an old topic, but, we have many new citizens, that it would be nice to hear from everybody again how they came across LOTR.

I was 10 when my sister read me the first chapter of the Hobbit. I really thought it boring and didn't like it. Then, my dad got the cartoon and was showing us it, and I thought, that is pretty nice.

I was 12 when in our 7th Grade Class, we read the Hobbit. I got hooked on it. The movies came out, but, I read the books first.

But, it was intresting. I read the first 5 chapters of the TT's first. Then, I read the full Return of the King. Reason why I didn't read the FOTR first was the fact that everybody had already checked it out of the library. But, when I finally got to it, I read the entire series twice in 2 months. Since then, I have read the series 10 times, the movies at least twenty times and I created a LOTR website.

From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. []

My parents thought I should read the Hobbit, which I did. I later read LotR, and when my father was reading the Silm I thought I should too. I read it thrice when I first started. []

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard the title from various people for years, and my mom even had a copy, but it didn't look very interesting. Then pictures from the films started coming out. I remember I was looking for codes to change my avatar in a chat program and stumbled acrossed a page full of them. It looked so gorgeous and so totally exactly what I love.

So when my mom chose The Hobbit for our homeschool group's high school reading class (which she taught), I was all aboard. Loved The Hobbit. We went directly from The Hobbit to LotR, I finished it long before the rest of the class, and as a group we got to enjoy all the trailers, and pics, and news and teasers from the films. Great times.

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gee... how should I tell it this time??? It was Summer 1975 and I was walking about with my neighbor one night. As we shared some pipeweed all rolled up in a ZigZag, he told me about this book he just read and enjoyed very much called The Hobbit. I asked what a Hobbit was, and he told me they were a fantasy care-free folk who like eating, drinking, & smoking! He loaned me the paperback while he started on the Fellowship. Read through it and loved it, then read Fellowship as he had finished it. I then read Two Towers as he had finished it. By this time I was eating the tale up, and I finished Two Towers while he had stalled a third of the way into Return of the King. After a couple weeks of bugging him about whether he finished it yet and he getting annoyed at me, I checked out an old 1957 copyright hardback out of the library and read on through. Loved the big fold-out map that was in the back of that hardback edition, so when I returned it I checked out Fellowship and Two Towers and started reading the Trilogy all over again! When I checked out Return of the King the second time and finished it, I delved into the appendices and all they had to offer. Started learning the elven scripts and, lo & behold, I met Tolkien geek babe not long into my senior year in high school. We would practice our scripting and pass notes to each other, and sit by the flag pole at lunch telling tales to each other. When they started doing some renovation work on the bus-loading zone near the flag pole, we saw they had just poured fresh curbing, so we decided to cut the class after lunch and imprint 'Friends' in Tengwar. We made a couple mistakes, but it remained in that curb until 2005 when they totally re-worked the school and dug up the curbs and flagpole.

So yeah, I was a Tolkien geek since the summer of 1975. When word got out that the Silmarillion was going to be published, we geeks were overjoyed! Went to a book release line party and got my copy! Tried to read it, and couldn't get into it at all. I finally skipped the biblic creation beginning and got into the meat of the book. It never did that much for me, and I enjoyed Children of Hurin and Unfinished Tales more, but I will always come back to read the Trilogy every now and again. I think I'm up to 11 readings in 34 years.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Snöwdog:
quote:
Gee... how should I tell it this time???
Yes, I was looking for a way to say the same thing, but the arctic hound does it so much nicer, I think.

I agree with the Captain that it would be nice to revisit this topic for the new citizens, but personally I'd like it so much better if a relevant old thread would be kicked up, so that the new citizens could read what has already been said and add their own bits. Keeps it all in one place, and one doesn't have to write the same thing over and over again. Problem is, of course, that you can spend three days in this city scouring for something that you're almost sure exists without finding it (even if it actually is there), whereas it takes only a few minutes to open up a new thread with a pleasant and sensible post. And so we keep adding to the chaos - well, it's a pleasant chaos.

But I really don't like to type it all out again for the third or fourth time (counting only these boards), so I'd like to direct all interested citizens to where I (and some others) have said it before. Mind you, the topic arose in both threads as a necessary aside to the main topic, so I'm not maintaining that either should have been kicked instead of creating this one. But I'm sure the one that should have been exists somewhere, although I haven't been able to find it either. Or it has been thrown out with the slops from the Pony. []

There is one thing I might add to my previous words on the subject. The gap during which I was in suspension between reading The Fellowship in Dutch and reading the whole Ring in English was possibly filled (partially) by reading Richard Adams. I find my first reading copies were issued, respectively, of Watership Down 1974, of Shardik 1975, both in Dutch, and of The Plague Dogs 1977, by which time I had switched to English. Much later I found out that my switch to English had been timely - Adams' first two were translated into Dutch by Max Schuchart, who also translated most of Tolkien's works that were published in Dutch, whereas The Plague Dogs was translated by someone else, Schuchart by that time being busy with The Silmarillion, and the difference shows - to the credit of Schuchart.

Looking up those Adamses, I noticed that they were all hardbound, with dustjacket (slightly battered), whereas everything Tolkien I bought then (and for a long time afterwards) was in paperback. Makes you think ...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am in too great doubt to rule. To prepare or to let be? To prepare for war, which is yet only guessed: train craftsmen and tillers in the midst of peace for bloodspilling and battle: put iron in the hands of greedy captains who will love only conquest, and count the slain as their glory? Will they say to Eru: At least your enemies were amongst them? Or to fold hands, while friends die unjustly: let men live in blind peace, until the ravisher is at the gate? What then will they do: match naked hands against iron and die in vain, or flee leaving the cries of women behind them? Will they say to Eru: At least I spilled no blood?
'When either way may lead to evil, of what worth is choice? Let the Valar rule under Eru!
- Tar Meneldur [UT 2 II:173-174]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I knew of the book as a youth but its reputation was that it starts really slowly and that it takes months to read. Also, you had to be a complete nerd to get into it. I kept postponing picking it up.

Then when I heard the early rumors of the films, I decided I should read the books first. So I did. Don't remember the year. Mid to late 90s some time.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mablung
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11231
posted      Profile for Mablung   Email Mablung   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm embarassed to say this, but I got introduced to it through D&D. Before that I only read a little sci-fi; there was just no comparison.

Edit: I wish there had been a refernce-book version of the Silmarillion; it was difficult to understand the overall story without knowing the Sil first, but the Sil was much more difficult to read for me at the time.

[ 08-20-2009, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Mablung ]

Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mablung:
quote:
I wish there had been a reference-book version of the Silmarillion; .....
There sort of is: Robert Foster's Complete Guide to Middle-earth.
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Húrin Greenleaf
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11378
posted      Profile for Húrin Greenleaf   Email Húrin Greenleaf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I first came across The Hobbit when I was 10, watching an adaptation of it on a UK childrens' TV show called Jackanory. While I liked it, I did nothing until a couple of years later, when my family was moving house; and I rediscovered a forgotten copy of the book. I read that, then LotR, finishing by the time I was 13. I had been hooked; so I then began on The Silmarillion... []
From: Isle of Balar | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How old are you? I was ten as well, but that was waaaaaay back in 1975, before movies/cartoons had an influence on my mind's own imagery of M-e.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Saturday job in the local library, and often took out books that I had to *shelve* because they looked interesting. And then, one day, I was putting Fellowship back on the shelf. The rest is history....
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm told I had TH read to me many times when I was small, but I don't remember. []

I read LotR before the films came out and again before they were done. Never looked back and all that jazz. []

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Snowdog I think that has to be one of the coolest friendship-through-Tolkien stories I've ever heard.

I think I had seen the Rankin Bass cartoon when I was young and not caring for it (I still don't like those interpretations) and it wasn't until I was 8 or 9 that I had gotten the audiobook from the Library. I remember staying up late listening to that, riveted. When I was 10 or 11 I had rented the Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings and I remember being terrified by what I had seen. I swore that it was demonic and I would never read that book. Admittedly, the animation in that version is still fairly disturbing. I had listened to The Hobbit on tape several more times and when I had heard that Lord of the Rings was being made into a movie I geeked and promptly read the whole trilogy in a couple of months. I was 13 at the time and told all of my middle-school friends how these movies were going to take the world by storm, that it would be cooler than Star Wars. Of course they scoffed until December came around. The funny thing is that I've never actually read the Hobbit myself. There were the audiobooks, the animations and even an excellent graphic novel adaptation that I had, but my only paperback copy was lent to a friend and never read or returned. I made sure never to let him borrow my copies of Lord of the Rings.

[ 12-20-2012, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Jango ]

From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jango said: "Snowdog I think that has to be one of the coolest friendship-through-Tolkien stories I've ever heard."
I still keep in touch with my old neighbor who lent me the books over on the Book of Faces. I last saw the girl the day we graduated. I heard from a mutual friend from the day that she is living the life of a woman fo Rohan, raising horses on a ranch she owns in eastern Idaho.

[ 12-29-2012, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty darn cool. It sounds like she's somewhere a ways upriver (The Columbia) from my hometown! The city probably has to filter her horse**** out of my drinking water!
From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Idaho Falls area I believe. tried to get in touch with our mutual friend on the Book of Faces, but she hasn't been on her page in over a year.
Elanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3219

posted      Profile for Elanor Gamgee   Email Elanor Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It was given to me as a 22nd birthday present, preciousssss!
From: Moscow | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was 18, and into 'different realities.' []

I still have a ragged paperback of 'The Two Towers' and 'The Silmarillion' from that era.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » When you discovered LOTR
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help