profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Just finished my Tenth time of LOTR
Author Topic: Just finished my Tenth time of LOTR
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just like to let people know I finished my tenth time reading LOTR today! [] Gained alot of new insight into the books. Can't remember them at the moment though. []
From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How about one? I love insights.
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
1. Sam's line (not word for word but in essence): I have something to do before the end, and it is not the Shire.

Oh, the beauty of that! In our lives we all have something to do before the end, and it is not in the Shire. Or in other words, we can't be the same, we can't stay in our Shires. We always have to progress!

More insights will come, but it is almost midnight here and I need to get to bed.

From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

2. Sauron's blindness: Even despite the fact that he shrouded himself, and had a hard time seeing, I realized that he actually was always closer to finding the ring then could possible be thought of. Especially during the part of the story when the tracker and warrior walk right past Frodo and Sam, the tracker having sniffed them to that point. Only reason why they were never caught was because of the argument that the two orcs had.
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, CoG, for Sauron may have seemed nearly omnipotent but...

quote:
...the power of Sauron is still less than fear makes it.
FOTR, Book II, Ch 2, The Council of Elrond

[ 06-22-2009, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: pi ]

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mind, I always took that line to mean that people didn't fear Sauron as much as they should!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think you have it wrong. To me, it meant that though powerful, Sauron was not as strong as men feared, and fear was a weapon use quite well by him.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with pi on that - people's fear makes Sauron's power seem greater than what it really is.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm going to try to do this without reading the text, but isn't the next line in that paragraph that 'fat men that sell ale have many calls to answer,' or something like it. The suggesting been, if I can respecifully disagree, that if Butterbur had feared Sauron a bit more then he might have remembered to send Frodo his letter from Gandalf on time! []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

quote:
`That the Nine had indeed arisen I felt assured, apart from the words of Saruman which might be lies. Long ere I came to Isengard I had heard tidings by the way that could not be mistaken. Fear was ever in my heart for my friends in the Shire; but still I had some hope. I hoped that Frodo had set forth at once, as my letter had urged, and that he had reached Rivendell before the deadly pursuit began. And both my fear and my hope proved ill-founded. For my hope was founded on a fat man in Bree; and my fear was founded on the cunning of Sauron. But fat men who sell ale have many calls to answer; and the power of Sauron is still less than fear makes it. But in the circle of Isengard, trapped and alone, it was not easy to think that the hunters before whom all have fled or fallen would falter in the Shire far away.'

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Good quote [] Though I'm still not sure if the fear of Sauron quote means if people feared him too much or too little! Convince me that it's too much! []
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Maybe it's semantics, but if you can't take Gandalf's word, how am I to do better?
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the full quote, pi! Oh yes, it's very much semantics ...

I now think that Gandalf is talking about himself - he had feared Sauron too much, and found that the power of Sauron was less than Gandalf's own fear had made it.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Weeeeeellll, Sauron was further ahead in finding out the truth about the Ring than even Gandalf feared! As Gandalf himself admitted! []
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

Well, didn't think this would turn into any kind of discussion if I say so myself. []

3: The Ring. It seemed that the Ring to an extent obeyed commands given it. I never really thought about it before until Frodo was talking to Gollum and said:
quote:
I shall take Precious, and I shall say: make him swallow the bones and choke. Never taste fish again.
And, as we later see, in a sense the Ring does indeed follow commands. But, it does twist the meaning.
Well, let me restate; through the Ring a person could carry out commands.
quote:
Begone; and trouble me no more. If you touch me ever again, you shall be cast yourself into the Fire of Doom.
And Gollum does when he gets the Ring back. I think partially the Ring was carrying out that command and punishment to Gollum.

I just thought it was kind of intresting.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Just finished my Tenth time of LOTR
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help