Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Tolkien Fanfiction - recommendations (Page 1)
Author Topic: Tolkien Fanfiction - recommendations
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Do you read Tolkien fanfiction?

If you do, than you know already that most of the fanfics out there are awful crap. But still, sometimes, very rarely, you happen to find a good story – a brilliant one even.

The best fanfics change nothing in the main plot set by Tolkien. They abide by his rules. They are compatible with all the dates. They only explore the Professors world further - filling the gaps and telling new stories with their own original characters set in Tolkien's great universe.
A few ones are even better written, as to the depth of character development, than Tolkien's own stories. Or so I think.

So, I propose the following. If you find a fanfic that you not only really like (as one can like a well-written Mary-Sue story), but one that opens a new insight into Tolkien’s world – please post a link here with a short recommendation.

It will save your fellow citizens from rummaging about around the piles of garbage to unearth a few gems. [] []

I will start with this one.

For those who love Numenor and/or Gondolin I recommend this brilliantly written and well-researched story:

"Magweth Pengolodh: The Question of Pengolodh" by Tyellas
http://www.ansereg.com/mpqp_series.htm

It tells how back in mid-Second Age the Elvish lore-master Pengolodh on his way to Tol-Eressea stopped for a short time in Numenor, made friends and enemies there and told some stories. Enjoy.

[ 05-02-2008, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: Ulairë Gordis ]

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I really haven't read much Tolkien fan-fiction, to tell you the truth. I've read some of the role-playing here, but that is about it.

However, some years ago I read a very ambitious story that finished The New Shadow. It was good, as far as fan-fic can be. He took The New Shadow and finished it, tying up quite a few loose ends, like The Blue Wizards and the Mouth of Sauron. Unfortunately I can't find it on the net. He had some skill as a writer, I remember.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, sounds interesting. Pity you have lost the link.

By the way, here is a cycle of stories about Dwarves and Dunedain, that you may find interesting, Thorin. It is the best story about Dwarves that I know. I love how they are described - with such depth and sympathy. Dwarf-stories are very rare as it goes, most authors prefer Elves. []

The Dûnhebaid Cycle by Adaneth
The action takes place during the mid-29th century of the Third Age, some decades after the Battle of Azanulbizar (T.A. 2799) but before The Fell Winter (T.A. 2911). Fell things prey on the Dunedain and Dwarves of the Ered Luin, and now there is an elven ship offshore. The remnants of the Dúnedain of Srathen Brethil are forced to alliance with the Dwarves.

http://www.henneth-annun.net/stories/chapter.cfm?stid=6389
http://www.henneth-annun.net/stories/chapter.cfm?stid=6566
http://www.henneth-annun.net/stories/chapter.cfm?stid=7000
http://www.henneth-annun.net/stories/chapter.cfm?stid=7304

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A really excellent story - quite outstandingly well written and characterised. Thanks for bringing it to our attention at MT!

I wd be interested to know where the author is from. He/she certainly does know a lot about 'ancient lore', and not just that put into his works by JRRT. If not Scottish, he must have read up a great deal of Scottish folklore to use words like 'kist', 'corbie', 'garron'.

[]

[ 07-23-2008, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Cernunnos ]

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh aye. There are notes about it at the end.

[] []

[ 07-23-2008, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Cernunnos ]

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

Actually, Adaneth must be a woman - her name implies it, I think it means "a woman of the Edain".
I am glad you have appreciated the story. If you have questions, better ask the author and leave her a review. On HASA archive people tend to review very little if at all - and authors are happy to have them. A shame, really, when an outstanding story has almost no reviews.

Here is a new recommendation from me - two stories about Orcs/uruks by Lauderdale. Warning: for adults only.
http://www.henneth-annun.net/stories/story_sort.cfm?stauthorid=1601

All, please post links here if you find something you like!

Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wholeheartedly recommend the stories by MithLuin in the Silmarillion Writers' Guild. The writer is well versed in Tolkien, and has great insight into the mind of Maedhros.
From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

I loved the stories. Thank you for sharing, Erinti! []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just found a great story - albeit a small one - about Celebrimbor. He captures the Fëanorean spirit so well, and is able to have a critical viewpoint on his family's deeds.

Making Amends

And the writer writes it so well, too ...
quote:
Nothing he ever made was less than perfect. And they all knew it.
Why then, should it surprise anyone that his madness was no less than perfect?

Celebrimbor about his grandfather
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
These stories were pretty good if you want to give it a try.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

Thank you for sharing the links, Varna and pi.

"Making Amends" is very well written indeed. Great use of words.

As for "Where Dreams Take You" - the only one by Chevy I had time to read - it left mixed feelings. The author can write so very well, great plot, language and characterization. And yet, towards the end, the author quotes the movie script word for word, as if she/he is unable to do better! It sort of ruins the impression for me. Pity...

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Chevy certainly writes best when not following someone else's script.

The other stories are AU, and as such more freely written. I haven't finished them yet, though.

And they wouldn't fall into the category of "not changing Tolkien's main plot".

[ 06-21-2008, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Here's a new find - about Galadriel's choice, from Celeborn's point of view:
All Shall Love Me and Despair

The author has also written several delightful stories about children, e.g. the childhood of Elrond's twin sons.

[ 06-29-2008, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

That is a nice short story - thank you, Varna! []

And here is a new rec. from me - a long story about Denethor's life:

Ten Thousand Years Will Not Suffice by Agape4Gondor
Denethor - from birth onward... How he became the Twenty-sixth Ruling Steward of Gondor and through to his untimely death (NOT movie based).

http://www.henneth-annun.net/stories/chapter.cfm?stid=4756

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

About Gil-galad being told about the Fall of Gondolin:
Circle of Silver

I like her interpretation of Gil-galad.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Feanor fans, might like this particular tale:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4491507/1/Unrepentant
It's not quite conventional, but none the worse for that!

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man I wish I could remember this one fanfic I read years ago. It was seriously the best one I had ever read. It was on one of those more scholarly Tolkien sites (other than this one, of course) and it was basically if Pride & Prejudice was done in Middle Earth with an elf and a human. The elf was a made up character (I think) and was friends with Glorfindel. The woman was a human from Bree and their paths cross around the same time the fellowship goes on their journey, but that's merely a backdrop to the relationship of the two main characters. The elf guy is obviously Mr. Darcy and the woman is supposed to be like Elizabeth. It was seriously publish-worthy. [] I remember thinking whether or not our own Amarie wrote it or not. It was very much her writing style.

[ 10-15-2008, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Lillianna ]

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I wrote it. [] But it sounds very interesting, and I appreciate the compliment (since you thought it was so good). []
From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, I have to find the damn thing and have you read it. It's very much your style, although you would rather do a Pre-Noldor Flight context rather than a third age one (as would I [] ).
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

* Bump *

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

Some humour for you. []

Here are two funny movie-bashing ficlets:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1187390/1/This_Too_Shall_Pass
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2195364/1/Too_Easy

And two short stories about Tom, the first the funny one already posted up North, and the other one far less humorous:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1534858/1/Teatime_with_the_Dark_Lord
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4064229/1/Night_Comes_Gently

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh man I wish I could remember this one fanfic I read years ago.
Any luck?
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you fancy a little bit of humour, do yourselfs a favour and read this bit of Fanfic
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4732841/1/Monty_Pythons_The_Hobbit

It's superbly funny. So why not switch of the TV for one evening and read this instead. You'll find it funnier!

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

This is indeed funny. Thank you, Hamfast! []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Don't thank me, Ularie, thank the author! []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Tolkien Fanfiction - recommendations (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help